Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

New Sony RX100 VII now available for pre-order
The new Sony RX100 VII is now in stock at:

B&H Photo | Adorama | Amazon ($1,198)

Main Features:
  1. Newly developed 1.0-type stacked 20.1 MP(1) Exmor RS™ CMOS image sensor with DRAM chip and latest generation BIONZ X™ image processor
  2. Alpha 9 level speed performance with up to 60 AF/AE calculations per second(2) and 20fps(3) blackout-free shooting(4) with AF/AE tracking
  3. World leading(5) 357-point focal-plane phase-detection AF + 425-point contrast-detection AF with world’s fastestv 0.02 sec((6) focus acquisition speed
  4. Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF for humans and animals(7)
  5. ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-200mm(8) F2.8 – F4.5 Large Aperture High Magnification Zoom Lens
  6. New Single Burst Shooting(9) Drive Mode at up to 90fps(10) speed
  7. Pro-level movie functionality including 4K HDR(11) (HLG)(12), Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF for movie shooting, 4K Active SteadyShot™, Vertical-position data recording for movies and integrated microphone jack

Jul 25, 2019 at 06:22 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx100m7

Better AF, real-time tracking and eyeAF, 20fps with no blackout, mic input. Surprisingly, the price is the same as the previous model.

Jul 25, 2019 at 09:25 AM
realVivek
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

Nice. New technology always debuts in their 1” sensor and then percolates to full frame.

Jul 25, 2019 at 09:37 AM
goo0h
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

I wonder if there will be a rx100VAm2?

Jul 25, 2019 at 09:41 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

Oh dear I only bought the mk6 a month ago. Looks to be a great camera but to be honest I don't shoot video and don't need the microphone jack socket and as much as the new AF system is a marvel on my A6400 on a camera with a 1" sensor there is so much DOF even wide open that the continuous eye AF is not so needed.

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:27 AM
b_mellow

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

Nice to see the finally addressed the lack of a microphone input.

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:53 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

b_mellow wrote:
Nice to see the finally addressed the lack of a microphone input.

And Canon was happy thinking they will have the compacts with mic market
Then again, I am still learning towards the G5X as I like the faster lens and 120mm at the long end works for me. BUT I have not been impressed with previous Canon compacts and their lens quality (G7X 1 and 2).

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:55 PM
vdo1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

GabrielPhoto wrote:
And Canon was happy thinking they will have the compacts with mic market
Then again, I am still learning towards the G5X as I like the faster lens and 120mm at the long end works for me. BUT I have not been impressed with previous Canon compacts and their lens quality (G7X 1 and 2).

Guess they think of purple fringing as some desirable "house signature"

Jul 25, 2019 at 01:17 PM
BPsmith511
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

Looks to be an excellent camera if you need the video features. That said, if you don't, not really any point in the upgrade (just an opinion). The AF will be nice for video but except for a few selected cases I think the type of shooting this can do (A9 speed) won't be utilized much in stills.

I do wonder how long Sony plans to keep every model as a current model with all 7(!) currently sold as "new"

Jul 25, 2019 at 01:31 PM
vdo1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

Add an A7 IV with 31MP (IMX554DQC?), and it would make Canon look so pathetic it wouldn't even be funny to watch...

Jul 25, 2019 at 01:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Al B
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

Disappointing, I just purchased the RX100 VI a month ago as well. I don’t shoot video but the improved AF system would be nice but not worth the upgrade. I feel slighted as Sony paints a picture
that they released the VI too soon.

Jul 25, 2019 at 01:57 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

Al B wrote:
Disappointing, I just purchased the RX100 VI a month ago as well. I don’t shoot video but the improved AF system would be nice but not worth the upgrade. I feel slighted as Sony paints a picture
that they released the VI too soon.

I believe the mk6 was released to market less than a year ago. They should offer purchases of it a good rebate/trade in price

Jul 25, 2019 at 02:27 PM
teddoman
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

realVivek wrote:
Nice. New technology always debuts in their 1” sensor and then percolates to full frame.

They're marketing it as A9 features in a 1" sensor, so maybe the other way around in this case.

Jul 25, 2019 at 03:43 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

The M7 has the *A9* AF stuff in it. And no viewfinder blackout!

This is crazy tech. My M6 is sulking. Thank god I use narrow-single-point focus for my shots. I would like zero blackout, but I can live with that.

I wonder what the RX10 V will have? Would it be a better BIFfer than my 5D4? The Canon has a lot of noise in the underbelly of overhead birds. Even my RX100 IV at 200mm compares favorably to the 5D4 with 100-400ii f4-5.6!

Do I get the RX10 or A7VI? Or both?

Jul 25, 2019 at 03:48 PM
knshshnk
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

since it's a premium product anyway I wish Sony would bring new lenses under the GM branding in the future

Jul 25, 2019 at 04:55 PM
trstahly
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

MikeEvangelist wrote:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx100m7

Better AF, real-time tracking and eyeAF, 20fps with no blackout, mic input. Surprisingly, the price is the same as the previous model.

This is all well and good the RX100V is already the best pocketable point and shoot on the planet, finally adding a mic input in for video and adding A9 like 60 with calcs per second translate into better captures of kids, pets etc. is a welcome upgrade.

However it is silly for Sony to come out with one of these every year with a few improvements but leave out the most important thing which is image quality.

Smartphone image quality gets better each year. This years Sony RX100 VII unless they bring out a 2nd model with the faster lens has worse image quality than the two year old RX100V which is going backwards

At a minimum they need to offer both lenses like they are currently the 24-70 1.8-2.8 and for people who value a zoom over IQ let them buy the slower lens with the additional noise and loss of detail a 1" sensor shooting at higher ISO's gives you.

The intervalometer is a nice addition and the specs say 10% better battery life but include the optional stick on grip for $1,200 and every camera should be standard with the USB-C.

If Sony is going to upgrade a camera "upgrade it"!

There was no reason to upgrade to the RX100Va a year ago and two years later now there is a reason not to upgrade.

I ordered a Panasonic Lumix LX100 II this afternoon I am so disappointed. At least it has a 160% larger CMOS sensor and a larger and I can only assume better Leica 1.7-2.8 lens so I am hoping to see an improvement in IQ, if not back it goes.

After looking at all of them and wanting a pocketable camera this is the only one that made sense it is physically larger but only weighs 1.8 oz more. I have found that both in my front pocket of my cargo shorts or my girlfriend purse or a sport coat pocket it is the weight more than the size that causes problems. It is smaller than my a6500 w/20mm pancake and a lot less weight.

I am also intrigued by the very small plug-in flash and feel the output will be better than my RX100 or even a6500 flash when called upon.

It is a nice size I hope that it produces better images but when I bought a GR II and Canon GXA III I ended up being disappointed and returned them because their slower lenses negated the much larger APS-C sensors because they shoot at higher ISO's. I was surprised but now you know why I am not in favor of 2.8-4.5 lenses on a point and shoots.

When the IQ takes such a hit at higher ISO that a 2018 Canon APS-C sensor cannot better the IQ of Sony's 1" sensor it is a pretty big deal.

I am not techie but it appears that smaller sensor sized are more prone to image degradation when the ISO goes up does anyone know if this is true or why that is. We are able to push the ISO up pretty high with the 42MP FF sensors.

I have found myself using my a6500 a lot more as a point and shoot with the 20mm pancake but want something a little smaller and definitely lighter so we will see, I will keep you posted.

Edited on Jul 25, 2019 at 08:27 PM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2019 at 06:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

The new Sony RX100 VII is now available for Pre-Order:

B&H Photo | Adorama | Amazon ($1,198)

Availability: Aug 16th

Jul 25, 2019 at 06:31 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

I am failing to see the point of a fixed lens compact at this price point. Maybe because it is how I (used) to use compacts - as a pocketable "good enough" camera that is significantly better than a cell phone (shoots raw, good but not great DR) but much smaller and lighter than a dslr. If I want to do "serious" photography I would grab an ILMC today, not this. Cell phone performance has gotten close enough to what I used to use compacts for, so right now the last compact I purchased (3 or so years ago) just gathers dust.

Jul 25, 2019 at 09:07 PM
bvphotos
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

GroovyGeek wrote:
I am failing to see the point of a fixed lens compact at this price point. Maybe because it is how I (used) to use compacts - as a pocketable "good enough" camera that is significantly better than a cell phone (shoots raw, good but not great DR) but much smaller and lighter than a dslr. If I want to do "serious" photography I would grab an ILMC today, not this. Cell phone performance has gotten close enough to what I used to use compacts for, so right now the last compact I purchased (3 or so years ago) just
...Show more

I agree. I have version IV (or is it III?) of the RX100 and am underwhelmed by it. Even the MFT LX100 is unexciting in its output.

Jul 25, 2019 at 09:54 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII

trstahly wrote:
However it is silly for Sony to come out with one of these every year with a few improvements but leave out the most important thing which is image quality.

IQ is an unknown at this point. This is a brand new sensor from the ground up, an upgrade from the last big IQ upgrade (BSI in II) in 2014. We'll have to wait for RAW editor compatibility and sites to post the usual comparison pics before we can tell if the IQ is the same as the previous 5 cameras.

EDIT: Seems to work well enough by changing the EXIF info to the VI.

exiftool -m -IFD0:model="DSC-RX100M6" -Sony:SonyModelID="DSC-RX100M6" -IFD1:model="DSC-RX100M6"

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:14 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password