New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · 1dx displaying 8888 for ISO in viewfinder

pcvrz22g
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1dx displaying 8888 for ISO in viewfinder

I just sold my 1DX and the buyer noticed that in the viewfinder the ISO displays as 8888xx but correctly on top display. Has anyone run into this before? I cannot say if it was doing it when I owned it because I always used the top display. I can only assume it was doing it the whole time.

Jul 22, 2019 at 05:49 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1dx displaying 8888 for ISO in viewfinder

Haven't heard of that one before. Assuming the ISO display in the viewfinder is a standard 7-segment LCD display perhaps it shows 8888 when there is a cable/signaling issue between the camera and viewinder, ie it displays 8888 (all segments on) when it isn't getting a signal from the camera.

Jul 22, 2019 at 08:27 PM
dantheobserver
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1dx displaying 8888 for ISO in viewfinder

I'm the buyer

Snapsy, you're right on the money. The ISO numbers are 7 segments and they're all being displayed as you describe. I talked to customer support and they said the viewfinder display is most likely going bad but that I'd have to send it in to be sure. Upon further testing, I noticed that the AF confirmation light stays partially dimly-lit (looks like a half moon) even when AF isn't active.

The camera displays the ISO properly on the top and rear LCDs and records images with correct settings. It's just the viewfinder that isn't behaving how it should. I'm planning to send the camera for an evaluation and cost estimate and will update this thread when I have more details for anyone who may encounter the same issue in the future.

The good news is that I'm thrilled with the quality of the files from the 1DX so far...definitely a few steps above my 1D IV and 5D III!

Jul 22, 2019 at 09:16 PM
dantheobserver
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1dx displaying 8888 for ISO in viewfinder

I got the verdict from Canon today—they said the camera needs a new pentaprism. For anyone who ends up with the same issue: the total for the repair, including tax and after 20% CPS discount is ~$560. Without CPS, it would be ~$715.

Here are a couple images of the viewfinder that I took with my phone before sending the camera out if anyone's curious.

I have nothing but good things to say about pcvrz22g. He's made the best of this situation throughout the whole process and has been a pleasure to deal with!

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.