Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · GF120 F4 Noise - Is this normal?

mkuznicki
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GF120 F4 Noise - Is this normal?

I just picked up a used one. I understand about the floating element clunking when the camera is powered down. I also understand about the OIS noise when it is active. But when the camera is powered up and the OIS is OFF, there is still a noise that sounds almost the same as when OIS is ON - same pitch, same characteristics, maybe just a hair quieter. Is this normal?

By the way, this is with manual focus, so it has nothing to do with the AF.

Jul 17, 2019 at 08:59 AM
lostinjapan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GF120 F4 Noise - Is this normal?

I will double check when I get home, but I think mine is the same. Works perfectly though so I haven't given it much of a thought.

Ryan

Jul 17, 2019 at 12:46 PM
Manzur Fahim

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GF120 F4 Noise - Is this normal?

My 110mm and the 32-64mm continues to make noise when the camera is powered on, and the same happens with any lenses I adapt. The camera does this, continues to adjust the lens aperture blade even when I am not doing anything. Is that what it is? Also if you turn Pre AF off, it still does it but a lot less. Let me if that is the case with your system.

mmm55 wrote:
I just picked up a used one. I understand about the floating element clunking when the camera is powered down. I also understand about the OIS noise when it is active. But when the camera is powered up and the OIS is OFF, there is still a noise that sounds almost the same as when OIS is ON - same pitch, same characteristics, maybe just a hair quieter. Is this normal?

By the way, this is with manual focus, so it has nothing to do with the AF.

Jul 17, 2019 at 01:15 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GF120 F4 Noise - Is this normal?

120mm f4 is the noisiest lens. I have pre-AF oFF but even then it makes a noise. I checked my co-workers GFX50s and 120mm f4 when the system was releases a few yrs ago and I had same experience with that. My system does same.

Jul 17, 2019 at 06:43 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GF120 F4 Noise - Is this normal?

The GF 110 sounds like a microscopic mouse, it makes tiny, high-frequency squeaking and chattering sounds when the camera is on.

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:32 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GF120 F4 Noise - Is this normal?

^^ I need to double check. I don't notice sound from 110mm f2 but 120mm f4 for sure.

Jul 18, 2019 at 08:34 AM
mkuznicki
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GF120 F4 Noise - Is this normal?

lostinjapan wrote:
I will double check when I get home, but I think mine is the same. Works perfectly though so I haven't given it much of a thought.

Ryan

OK, thanks.

Jul 18, 2019 at 08:39 AM
mkuznicki
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GF120 F4 Noise - Is this normal?

Manzur Fahim wrote:
My 110mm and the 32-64mm continues to make noise when the camera is powered on, and the same happens with any lenses I adapt. The camera does this, continues to adjust the lens aperture blade even when I am not doing anything. Is that what it is? Also if you turn Pre AF off, it still does it but a lot less. Let me if that is the case with your system.

Interesting, the blades do continuously move. Thanks for pointing that out. It's not pre-AF, since I was using manual focus.

Jul 18, 2019 at 08:41 AM
mkuznicki
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GF120 F4 Noise - Is this normal?

Thanks - makes me feel better.

Jul 18, 2019 at 08:42 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.