New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Move the library

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Move the library

I've finally updated my gear from a 2015 fully loaded iMac to a refurb iMac Pro 8 core, 64 GB RAM, 4 TB SSD. Nice price from Apple. Believe me and say what you want, but more horse power gets things done faster. Probably will always be a fact with men and machines even if the machines are digital.

I've moved my 1.2 TB library to the boot drive from the old T-bolt 2, 4-bay external case. (SSDs). Yes, it's significantly faster than T-bolt 2. I have the catalog and its back up.

I'm going to install Lr fresh on the new box. So, how do I tell Lr that while the files have physically moved the relationships and the data are all the same? I think I remember that I just have to redirect Lr (how?) but am not sure, thus checking in here so the gurus can help me out. Would rather admit I am dumb than just going ahead and doing dumb

Thanks

Jul 16, 2019 at 03:03 PM
Panorascal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Move the library

- Double click on your .lrcat.
- Go to the top folder
- Right Click and choose "locate"
- navigate to it
- Enjoy

Jul 16, 2019 at 06:03 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Move the library

Yep all the above will do it
I always double clicking the cat file . Opens up in LR and then remains the file that LR opens up to until I double click a different cat file

If you swap cat file from within LR , LR will ask to quit and restart anyway

Jul 17, 2019 at 08:43 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Move the library

Okay, thanks guys, however… Not sure if was the complexity of my system, local stupidity, or uncooperative gods, but wasn't that easy. First I had to shut down the old external drive that held the library. Scratched my head for a minute. Meet the new library just like the old library Logical so lets call that dumb. I then selected the entire catalog and told it to import. Went to lunch. Back - nope. Did some other work. back - nope. Walked off, went out to work, came back to the iMac, and done? Nope Lr frozen as hard as the North Pole.

Stomped about saying bad words, scratched my head, and tried a lower level folder. No problem. Then took a chance on a top level folder. Slow but done. So I went thru and imported one high level folder at a time. Even though the entire library is on the 4 TB boot drive, Lr was slooooooow. Had to leave it and come back over an afternoon.

Finally everything is there including all the ID, names, structure, comment data, but… none of them had standard sized previews. So one folder at a time (not going to catch me again ha ha ha ) went Library -> Previews -> Full Sized

So, I'm there. Things are a lot fast between the SSD boot and the higher powered machine. >fast -> >power.

In 30+ years of computing (Damn, I lived BC - Before Computers) I've updated/done clean installs more times that I can count. This was worse than any 5 combined. Adobe still doesn't have a real DAM, and don't get me started on the idiots at 1Password Don't use their program.

Thanks again

Jul 18, 2019 at 10:37 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.