New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Budget Wide Format Printer - Canon vs Epson

scurran

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Budget Wide Format Printer - Canon vs Epson

Looking to pick up a new printer. I do a 50/50 ratio of photos and graphics, 13x19 is a must. I print a lot on fine art papers, and really textured papers like water color, but also plenty on glossy photo paper.

I've owned a Pixma Pro 1000 mk1, that had head issues and eventually died. Otherwise a fine printer other than feed issues. I've recently been using a iX6500 and it was actually pretty reasonable for most things, photos were lacking a bit though.

I'm looking at a few things, in this order, Canon iP8720, Epson XP-15000, Epson p400, Pixma Pro 100

I'd also be open to used older but trustworthy models. If I was going to go with the p400, I would be buying used, ive seen one for around 250 which seemed like a good deal. The Pixma Pro is often a great deal, but currently isnt, so I'd have to go used. I need a printer next week.

The pigment ink on the P400 seems like it would be good for the papers I print on, but right now going over 300 on this isnt something I want to do. Cost of running is important.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:12 AM
armd
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Budget Wide Format Printer - Canon vs Epson

scurran wrote:
Looking to pick up a new printer. I do a 50/50 ratio of photos and graphics, 13x19 is a must. I print a lot on fine art papers, and really textured papers like water color, but also plenty on glossy photo paper.

I've owned a Pixma Pro 1000 mk1, that had head issues and eventually died. Otherwise a fine printer other than feed issues. I've recently been using a iX6500 and it was actually pretty reasonable for most things, photos were lacking a bit though.

I'm looking at a few things, in this order, Canon iP8720, Epson XP-15000, Epson p400, Pixma Pro
...Show more

I appreciate your circumstances though it is difficult to rationalize spending all of that money on fine paper only to run it through printers whose inks don't offer a measure of light fastness. That in mind, you have to be comfortable with what works best for your circumstances. The Pro 100 is a great little printer, though as you observed it is not on special right now. Likewise the P400 offers better ink longevity and now there is a rebate putting the acquisition cost around $340. around $100 less than a refurb. Can't comment on the performance of the other two printers you mentioned.

Best of luck.

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:05 AM
scurran

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Budget Wide Format Printer - Canon vs Epson

armd wrote:
I appreciate your circumstances though it is difficult to rationalize spending all of that money on fine paper only to run it through printers whose inks don't offer a measure of light fastness. That in mind, you have to be comfortable with what works best for your circumstances. The Pro 100 is a great little printer, though as you observed it is not on special right now. Likewise the P400 offers better ink longevity and now there is a rebate putting the acquisition cost around $340. around $100 less than a refurb. Can't comment on the performance of the other
...Show more

Measure of light fastness went over my head a bit. I've got more research to do. Generally, the funky papers are more for graphics. Points taken though, and appreciate the help.

I was reading amazon and B+H reviews, and many complained that you cant create custom paper sizes, but I've already found how to in the manual, any experience with that?

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:23 AM
scurran

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Budget Wide Format Printer - Canon vs Epson

Hunts is running a great deal where you can get the Pixma Pro 10 for 180, I'm going to pick that up. There is a way you can get the Pro 100 down to about 130 now as well. But, the Pigment should be better for these matte papers in my understanding.

Jul 15, 2019 at 02:46 PM
mikek200
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Budget Wide Format Printer - Canon vs Epson

I own the pro-10,have had it for about 2 years now..;it is a great printer & a real work horse
I strongly suggest it.

Good Luck,
Mike

Jul 16, 2019 at 07:38 AM
mrca
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Budget Wide Format Printer - Canon vs Epson

Since it sounds like you will be switching from mat paper and mat black ink to papers requiring photo black ink, I have 2 epson printers and the printer must switch between the two for one set of nozzles for black. Ink is wasted going both ways, several dollars worth. I have one printer with not quite the color response set for mat ink and when I print mat, it us usually low contrast pastelly type prints. My other printer tends to remain on photo black ink changing only every few months for larger prints. I would recommend you stay with canon that has separate nozzles for each black ink.

Jul 16, 2019 at 10:49 AM
JohnBrew
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Budget Wide Format Printer - Canon vs Epson

Having owned both, go for the Canon.

Jul 21, 2019 at 09:10 PM
DougDolde
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Budget Wide Format Printer - Canon vs Epson

I'd buy the Epson P800 for not only increased paper capacity but much cheaper ink with the 80ml cartridges

Jul 24, 2019 at 02:10 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.