Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · PS Spot Healing Tool is dead!

Charles Loy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PS Spot Healing Tool is dead!

I must have hit a hot key because my spot healing tool will not blend (heal). Any clue what to do?
When I activate it, it shows as if it's working, but when I release release the photo instantly returns to the original.
Thanks

Jul 09, 2019 at 06:05 AM
John Wheeler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PS Spot Healing Tool is dead!

Charles Loy wrote:
I must have hit a hot key because my spot healing tool will not blend (heal). Any clue what to do?
When I activate it, it shows as if it's working, but when I release release the photo instantly returns to the original.
Thanks

Hi Charlies
Could be a variety of things
If you are healing on its own separate Layer, do you have the "Sample All Layers" checkbox checked?
What about brush mode not set to normal yet another blend mode
Is Type set to Content Aware Fill
Do you have the correct Layer selected
Do you have the Pixel thumbnail selected or the Layer Mask selected

If the above does not work in this order until fixed
1) Reset the tool
2) Reset all toosl
3) Reset Preferences

Hope that helps

Jul 09, 2019 at 06:41 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PS Spot Healing Tool is dead!

John makes great points. Along his lines of suggestion I would check, or rather, uncheck the default Move Tool behavior of Auto Layer Selection, which will always screw you up especially if you have things like Adjustment Layers which appear empty but cannot be distinguished by the Auto feature.

Jul 09, 2019 at 11:34 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PS Spot Healing Tool is dead!

John an Peter - thanks to both of you super guys.
Mode was set to 'Lighten' instead of replace or normal.
All is super now

Jul 09, 2019 at 01:56 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PS Spot Healing Tool is dead!

Yeah. That'd do it and not be your first suspicion. Glad you figured it out.

Jul 09, 2019 at 02:44 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PS Spot Healing Tool is dead!

When I read the title of this thread I thought it was another kindred soul who finds the performance of the healing tool in recent versions of PS lacking. It used to be auto-magical. Now it does some feathering around the edges and only seems to partially heal on first application, as if the opacity is somehow set to 50% - though I have looked and can't find an opacity setting. I find myself needing multiple passes to fully heal. Even worse, when healing on sky it often does not match the surrounding sky. Skies used to be a slam dunk. What new magical setting am I not using correctly?

Jul 12, 2019 at 07:11 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PS Spot Healing Tool is dead!

Something you might not think of because it does seem counter-intuitive, is that the tool works best with hardness set at 100%. If you reset the tool, you will find that a hard-edged brush is the default. As a rule, I do any retouching on a separate layer. There are also 3 choices: content aware, proximity match and create texture. Content aware is the most useful, but depending on the subject matter you are retouching, the other choices can also be useful. I've also found that the tool does the best job when used with short strokes. It's tempting when retouching for example a power wire across the sky, to just stroke the whole wire, but in my experience, the tool does a better job if short strokes are used.

Jul 12, 2019 at 07:55 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PS Spot Healing Tool is dead!

Ah yes, 100% hardness is da bomb. As is usually the case I figure out that one shortly after posting here.

Short strokes are indeed better. Also, when healing across a hard line (e.g. horizon) it is better for the stroke to be across the hard line rather than along it.

Jul 14, 2019 at 12:44 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.