Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

I cant believe it is better than the Loxia, thats amazing

Jul 07, 2019 at 06:45 PM
theacguy71
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

If you like the CV 65 and 40, you will like the new 21...

Edited on Jul 07, 2019 at 06:50 PM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2019 at 06:49 PM
nhsonyshooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

Ahhh crap! Here we go again. Just when I convinced myself to just go all AF lens. That has now lasted about 3 months. I have the 24 GM, I don't need this lens. But I Just picked up the CV50 a week ago and now it looks like I'll have to get the CV21mm 1.4 to pair with it. Thanks Fred

Jul 07, 2019 at 06:50 PM
jahro
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

Oh man, like others said, I'm eagerly awaiting the comparison to the 24 1.4 GM. I have the 24 coming in soon, and while I doubt this one is as good for astro, it's looking very tempting right now.

Jul 07, 2019 at 07:03 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

nhsonyshooter wrote:
Ahhh crap! Here we go again. Just when I convinced myself to just go all AF lens. That has now lasted about 3 months. I have the 24 GM, I don't need this lens. But I Just picked up the CV50 a week ago and now it looks like I'll have to get the CV21mm 1.4 to pair with it. Thanks Fred

I need help! What kind of justification did you make to have this one together with the GM 24? . I have been talking myself into using only Sony GM for most of my needs.

Jul 07, 2019 at 07:05 PM
nhsonyshooter
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

hiepphotog wrote:
I need help! What kind of justification did you make to have this one together with the GM 24? . I have been talking myself into using only Sony GM for most of my needs.

I use keep a manual kit and AF kit. I do enjoy manual focusing (especially these CV lenses) but the AF is so good now a days you can hold the camera with one hand in crazy positions and get exactly what you want in focus. You just can't do that and manual focus in alot of instances (especially with these fast lenses, which I love) so i talked my self into just going with an AF kit and sold off my manual stuff. Like I said that lasted about 3 months until I bought the 50mm CV as my small "look" lens (thanks to Fred and Guy's testing). Obviously I can't just have the 50 now by it self What if I want to go out without family and just have a small 2 lens kit. I knew when I bought the dam CV 50 it would lead to another CV and I suspected it was this 21 but now thanks to Fred again it is basically a done deal

Jul 07, 2019 at 07:23 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

hiepphotog wrote:

Screw the justification, just enjoy yourself . But the best one is one is manual focus the other is not. Simply

Now from your spouse Iíll send over the baseball helmet. I kinda got caught today. I went to Adorama this morning. Spent a little more than I thought I would

Jul 07, 2019 at 07:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

jahro wrote:
Oh man, like others said, I'm eagerly awaiting the comparison to the 24 1.4 GM. I have the 24 coming in soon, and while I doubt this one is as good for astro, it's looking very tempting right now.

I just checked the comparison to the FE 24/1.4 GM. (One of my favorite lenses)

At f/1.4, the Voigtlander is noticeably sharper at center while the Sony GM does better outside the center area (off-axis). Coma is noticeable on the CV 21/1.4 while almost non-existent for the GM. The Voigtlander 21/1.4 wins on contrast and color rendering compared to the 24/1.4 GM.
I will post some crops soon.

Jul 07, 2019 at 07:32 PM
jahro
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I just checked the comparison to the FE 24/1.4 GM. (One of my favorite lenses)

At f/1.4, the Voigtlander is noticeably sharper at center while the Sony GM does better outside the center area (off-axis). Coma is noticeable on the CV 21/1.4 while almost non-existent for the GM. The Voigtlander 21/1.4 wins on contrast and color rendering compared to the 24/1.4 GM.
I will post some crops soon.

And for $200 less, oh man.

Jul 07, 2019 at 07:34 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

Infinity distance resolution/contrast comparison to the Sony FE 24/1.4 GM. First some side-by-side....

The CV 21/1.4 Nokton (537g) is 92g heavier than the 24/1.4 GM (445g)
62mm vs 67mm (filter thread)

1. Distance: Infinity
  2. Focus: Center - Best of three @ 12.4x magnification
  3. WB: Daylight for both lenses
  4. Both Lenses perfectly centered using my decentering test
  5. Software: Lightroom with FM Default Landscape Sharpening. All other settings set to default
PS: Vignetting and distortion were NOT corrected

Center Infinity Resolution/contrast comparison between CV 21/1.4 Nokton vs Sony FE 24/1.4 GM

PS: For these crops, I focused on the center area for both lenses

Optimum aperture:

CV 21/1.4: f/2.8
GM 24/1.4: f/2.8

Center at f/1.4: Wide open, the CV 21/1.4 is noticeably sharper and more contrasty than the FE 24/1.4 GM

Center at f/2: Both lenses improve. The GM is still behind

Center at f/2.8: The Sony GM catches up in resolution but the Voigtlander has higher micro-contrast

Center at f/4: Probably their optimal aperture. Similar performance but the Voigtlander still ahead

Center at f/5.6: Not much changes from f/4

Center at f/8: They start to diffract and look very similar now

Jul 07, 2019 at 08:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

Mid-Field Infinity Resolution/contrast comparison between CV 21/1.4 Nokton vs Sony FE 24/1.4 GM

Optimum aperture for the Mid-Field:

CV 21/1.4: f/4
Loxia 21/2.8: f/4

Mid-field at f/1.4: The Sony GM performs better since it is flat field. The Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4's wavy field curvature has the mid-field area slightly OOF when focusing at center

Mid-field at f/2: The Voigtlander comes alive at mid-field and gets closer to the GM's performance

Mid-field at f/2.8: It looks like the Voigtlander pulls ahead

Mid-field at f/4: Seems to be the optimal aperture for both lenses. They are similar for the Voigtlander is show higher micro-contrast

Mid-field at f/5.6: Performing very similarly

Mid-field at f/8: Performing very similarly

Jul 07, 2019 at 09:05 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

Extreme Corners Infinity Resolution/contrast comparison between CV 21/1.4 Nokton vs Sony FE 24/1.4 GM

Optimum aperture for the Mid-Field:

CV 21/1.4: f/4
Loxia 21/2.8: f/4

Extreme corners at f/1.4: The Sony 24/1.4 GM has lower vignetting, lower coma and higher contrast

Extreme corners at f/2: Both lenses improve but the Sony is still ahead

Extreme corners at f/2.8: The Voigtlander is now performing at similar level

Extreme corners at f/4: The CV 21/1.4 pulls ahead with less astigmatism compared to the Sony GM

Extreme corners at f/5.6: Both lenses improve very slightly

Extreme corners at f/5.6: Diffraction talks hold but Voigtlander still slightly more crispy

Jul 07, 2019 at 09:05 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

So about equal to the GM 24 at WO (sharper center but softer corners) and better than the GM 24 overall? This has very much similar rendition like the Loxia as well.... What not to like? Probably 1,200 reasons

Jul 07, 2019 at 09:50 PM
mudlake
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

EXCELLENT performance for both lenses. As much as I would love to own this new 21mm, my Loxia 21 will remain in my bag since I use it almost exclusively at f5.6 - f11. And the 24 GM? Thatís a lens Iíll never sell! Thanks for the great tests, Fred.

Jul 07, 2019 at 11:59 PM
ratherSoftEdge

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

The GM is so much better at 1.4 and much better at 2.0 in the extreme corners. I don't care that much about that little extra sharpness in the center the CV is able to deliver. But the CV is 3mm wider, which is quite a bit. I don't know

Looks like you can take landscape pictures with the sony 24 at 1.4 because the corners are crazy good wide open (at least in my opinion).

Jul 08, 2019 at 12:28 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

Maximilian wrote:
Prices in Germany/Europe are:
Loxia 21mm: 1300 Euro
Nokton 21mm: 1350 Euro
Sony 24mm GM: 1600 Euro

So the Loxia is the most expensive in USA and the cheapest in Europe.
Sony's price of the 24mm for Europe is especially gracious.

In Japan the prices are:

Loxia 21mm:
Official price including tax: 209520 yen
Actual price including tax at MAP camera: 179820 yen

Nokton 21mm:
Official price including tax: 178200 yen
Actual price including tax at MAP camera: 143370 yen

Sony 24mm GM:
Official price including tax: 213840 yen
Actual price including tax at MAP camera: 174600 yen

Loxia street / actual price is the highest, and there's about 337 USD gap between Nokton and Loxia prices.

Jul 08, 2019 at 12:51 AM
fplstudio
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

Thanks Fred for the test. This CV is now the new best wide angle for landscapes no doubts.
I may however get the AF GM 24 instead to pair with the CV21/3.5 and still eagerly looking for a future smallish CV/Loxia 15mm f/2.8 with astro & landscape performance and filter thread.

Jul 08, 2019 at 12:56 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

The p1 comparison image fully illustrates the difference between a company that makes lenses for human hands to use, and one that makes life harder than it need be.

Some of Zeiss Loxia's visible ergo shortcomings, as compared here include:

Same diameter low rise aperture/focus rings; placement of fine knurled aperture ring too close to body (millimetres close) impeding functionality; fine knurling attracts dirt; waste of unused front barrel while jamming controls at the rear with overly busy design; focus ring incorporates distance scale on knurling within finger access section; hard to read index for chosen aperture (one of many lines vs clear dot in CV); narrow DOF scale index ring; weak purchase on focus ring knurling (no finger indents); no 10f/3m or 0.7m marking on focus ring distance scale; poor separation of metric/imperial focus distances (CV uses color); compressed distance marks in focus ring (too large font); poor hand grip for mount/demounting, which easily moves aperture and focus rings; narrow hood mount with weak index mark (CV uses aperture index to assist); tallest ring is DOF scale index ring. CV's work method logic is from front to back: choose aperture (front ring), then focus (middle ring) then check focus distance and DOF (if needed).

Does it all matter?

Depends on whether you ever need to quickly and efficiently; work wearing gloves; work directly from the EVF and need certainty of your finger moves. Industrial product design is serious business because it is the direct interface between the product and your body, so it's all the more surprising Zeiss have not done a better job of it. Sound interface design = 'don't make me think'.

Jul 08, 2019 at 01:39 AM
nhsonyshooter
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

I made it through the night. GAS has subsided Looks like a beautiful option but I'll just have to make the 24GM work

Jul 08, 2019 at 06:28 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Voigtlander 21mm f/1.4 Nokton Review

Not sure Iím going to get past the next few hours. Walking to a B&H now. Think there is a bank handing out money along the way. I went to Adorama yesterday and that was trouble and my wife caught me.

Jul 08, 2019 at 07:28 AM
       3              44       45       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              44       45       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password