Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · XT30 or XE3, and which standard zoom for a newbie?

nandadevieast
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · XT30 or XE3, and which standard zoom for a newbie?

My friend is asking for reco on this. I can’t help him much because I don’t shoot Fuji. He won’t buy XT3 XT2 series because of budget.
I see that there are many lines of camera: XT10 series, XT20 series, XT30 series, XE series, XM??

Which one will you recommend?

Edited on Jul 07, 2019 at 01:30 PM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2019 at 12:04 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · XT30 or XE3, and which standard zoom for a newbie?

So, i went to Fuji website and these 3 bodies caught my attention:
XT30
XT100
XE3

What is their ranking in Fuji system?

Surprisingly!! XE3 body is more expensive than XE3 with 23/2 WR as kit.

Jul 07, 2019 at 12:28 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · XT30 or XE3, and which standard zoom for a newbie?

Many different Fujifilm cameras could be "best" for your friend. There is no way to answer your question without knowing at least a little bit about your friend and his photography and expectations.

That said, here is a bit of a quick and superficial summary:

The differences are functional and sometimes budgetary. For example, using the 24MP cameras as examples:

- XT# (where "#" is 1, 2, or 3) are full featured DSLR-like mirrorless cameras that handle interchangeable lenses.

- X100[x] (where "x" = s, t, f) are full-featured mirrorless rangefinder-style cameras with a single fixed lens — not interchangeable.

- XT[##] (where "## = 20, 30) are DSLR-style mirrorless cameras at a lower price point.

- XE[#] (where "X" is 1, 2, 2s, 3) are small rangefinder style cameras at a somewhat lower price.

There are at least three dimensions to "ranking" these cameras:

1. Camera style (DSLR-style, rangefinder-style, fixed or interchangeable lens, etc.)

2. Price point.

3. Model currency

Jul 07, 2019 at 12:45 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · XT30 or XE3, and which standard zoom for a newbie?

Thanks Dan, he does little bit of everything, mostly people in urban environments.
In terms of features, which one is better of these 2?
XE3
XT30

XT30 is the latest model and XE3 is slightly older. Will XT30 have better features than XE3?

I also request guiding on lenses. Fuji has 3 entry level standard zooms, 18-55, 15-something and 18-135

Is there any consensus on which of these 3 should be the go to lens?

Jul 07, 2019 at 01:27 PM
M_Wales
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · XT30 or XE3, and which standard zoom for a newbie?

While trying to make my decision I watched many reviews comparing the X-T30 to the X-T3's auto focus, processor and image quality and that helped me choose the X-T30 with the 18-55mm, 55-200mm and 27mm and looking at the 35mm f2.

I already had an X100F for my everyday/street photography and wanted something that would keep up with my grand kids and a little wildlife..

Jul 07, 2019 at 01:38 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · XT30 or XE3, and which standard zoom for a newbie?

nandadevieast wrote:
Thanks Dan, he does little bit of everything, mostly people in urban environments.
In terms of features, which one is better of these 2?
XE3
XT30

XT30 is the latest model and XE3 is slightly older. Will XT30 have better features than XE3?

I also request guiding on lenses. Fuji has 3 entry level standard zooms, 18-55, 15-something and 18-135

Is there any consensus on which of these 3 should be the go to lens?

The primary difference here is, again, functional. Both will make equivalently good photographs, and both will use all of the same lenses.

The XE3 is a rangefinder style camera that is quite small. I used a predecessor of this camera, the XE1, for a few years when I was first using the Fujifilm system. I liked the small size quite a bit for things like travel photography, and the form factor is good for my kind of street photography, too.

The XT30 is a bit larger and feels more like using a DSLR camera. It isn't too big, and some photographers who don't need the smallest possible camera body would prefer that.

Frankly, neither is truly better than the other and both are fine. They are simply — for the most part — different. Why don't you run those two ideas past your friend and get some feedback on it?

The lens issue is similar. All three of those have their pluses and minuses, and the choice is sort of more about preference than goodness — with the possibly exception of the "15-something" zoom, which is a lower-end lens targeted to more cost-conscious buyers. The 18-55mm lens is Fujifilm's "standard kit zoom lens," the lens they sell by default on a whole bunch of cameras. I used it at one point, and it is a fine performer. I have not used the 18-135mm lens. Such lenses are preferred by some users who like the larger focal length range without the need to switch among two lenses.

Again, I think you might just ask your friend for a preference on that.

Good luck.

Jul 07, 2019 at 04:12 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · XT30 or XE3, and which standard zoom for a newbie?

The X-T130 has the same sensor and same internal processors as the nearly twice the cost X-T3 and as such the T130 would be the one to get and use the money saved to buy a flash as well as a zoom lens.

Most useful lens for your friend would be either the 16-55mm f/2.8 or the 18-55mm f/2.8-4. I would advise against the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 as the slower lens will impact autofocus performance and require higher ISO settings and make for a heavier and bulkier kit.

Jul 12, 2019 at 04:41 PM
envydd
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · XT30 or XE3, and which standard zoom for a newbie?

XT30 + 18-55 and one wide aperture prime f/2 or f/1.4 based on personal preference.

Jul 12, 2019 at 05:54 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · XT30 or XE3, and which standard zoom for a newbie?

The 18-55mm variable aperture "kit" lens. Optically great, reasonably priced, and a useful focal length range.

Jul 12, 2019 at 09:15 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · XT30 or XE3, and which standard zoom for a newbie?

The X-T30 and X-E3 are at the same point in the model line in the SLR-style and Rangefinder-style bodies, however the X-E3 is a generation older. Unless there's a significant price delta, the X-T30 is a better buy.

The X-T100 is a lower-end model sitting alongside the X-A models in Fuji's budget range. Skip it if you can afford the mid-range bodies.

My default zoom of choice is the cheap 16-50 f3.5-5.6. It's noticeably wider than the 18-55, and smaller & lighter. Optically it's excellent although the 18-55 is a tad better.

Jul 13, 2019 at 10:01 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · XT30 or XE3, and which standard zoom for a newbie?

mawz wrote:
The X-T30 and X-E3 are at the same point in the model line in the SLR-style and Rangefinder-style bodies, however the X-E3 is a generation older. Unless there's a significant price delta, the X-T30 is a better buy.

The X-T100 is a lower-end model sitting alongside the X-A models in Fuji's budget range. Skip it if you can afford the mid-range bodies.

My default zoom of choice is the cheap 16-50 f3.5-5.6. It's noticeably wider than the 18-55, and smaller & lighter. Optically it's excellent although the 18-55 is a tad better.

Correct. I'd add that the XE3 has an excellent 24MP sensor, and the newer 26MP sensor isn't significantly better. The XE3 is also a more compact camera.

But either of those (XE3 or XT30) are fine, less expensive x-trans cameras.

Jul 13, 2019 at 11:52 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.