Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DS-R $1703

Grey market 5Ds for $1599 on Amazon.

Jul 07, 2019 at 11:36 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DS-R $1703

Those are pretty darned good prices, assuming that they are legit sellers.

The camera was introduced over four years ago, so it makes sense that we're starting to see some serious price softening. There are other high MP FF cameras today (at introduction, no one else was above 36MP), all manufacturers are moving toward newer mirrorless designs, and most everyone thinks that a mirrorless high MP Canon camera is coming before too long.

But the 5DsR still does a fine job for a lot of high resolution full frame work.

Jul 07, 2019 at 12:00 PM
sxlmeatball

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DS-R $1703

theyre dropping in price because theyre being discontinued right?

Jul 08, 2019 at 05:39 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DS-R $1703

That price is through a 3rd party selling gray market bodies, so it is not indicative of any Canon decision. But yes, I am sure the 5DS series is near its end of production.

Jul 08, 2019 at 06:46 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DS-R $1703

sxlmeatball wrote:
theyre dropping in price because theyre being discontinued right?

Too bad - the series had a much too late start (it should have been there latest when Nikon announced the D810 series). Great camera series but never found the attraction it deserved due to faster competition also when it comes to DR.

Jul 08, 2019 at 08:08 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DS-R $1703

Jeff wrote:
Grey market 5Ds for $1599 on Amazon.

Insane deal but I had to use this to get there: https://tinyurl.com/y5xqr2ef

Jul 08, 2019 at 08:45 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DS-R $1703

They're still going for $3.700, including a $200 instant rebate with U.S. authorized dealer's.

As to Canon USA's warranty repair position on grey-market, I've never heard a definitive answer one way or the other.

I think Canon USA considers the 5DS/r series as a niche body, in that' those who want / need that resolution will pay the premium price for it, & cutting the price in half would not result in enough increased sales to make a profitable difference.

Jul 08, 2019 at 08:53 AM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5DS-R $1703

I have mine for about a year now, and no regrets. I bought off evilBay a pre owned from trusted seller for $2100 (actuations at the time was less than 2100). My only wish is the DR should be better but this camera is 4 years old ago.

Jul 08, 2019 at 09:56 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5DS-R $1703

Sy Sez wrote:
They're still going for $3.700, including a $200 instant rebate with U.S. authorized dealer's.

As to Canon USA's warranty repair position on grey-market, I've never heard a definitive answer one way or the other.

I think Canon USA considers the 5DS/r series as a niche body, in that' those who want / need that resolution will pay the premium price for it, & cutting the price in half would not result in enough increased sales to make a profitable difference.

I think you are right about the positioning. The main selling point of the 5DsR is its high resolution. To get that you accept a lower cap on high ISO performance and other things that come with the very large print files.

For work that requires or benefits from the resolution it is a fine choice, and it remains the highest resolution full-frame system available. But the percentage of photographers who will see any real benefit from the 50MP sensor is actually quite small.

Dan

Jul 08, 2019 at 10:40 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5DS-R $1703

That's a good price well worth the coin. IQ is stellar, a much better camera than the 5D3 and not just because of the sensor. It has a lot of little features missing from the 5D3 and only found on 1DX(II) and 5D4. AF is a bit better too than 5D3. Only weakness is video, not sure why they bothered but I never used that feature on my 5DsR anyway.

Jul 08, 2019 at 07:01 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5DS-R $1703

Its a great camera. I have had one for several years.If you are a landscape orientated photographer with canon lens you should have one. It allows printing 30% bigger, with similar quality to printing smaller on 5div.

The downsides are:
1) Bigger files take much longer to process
2) Histogram has large pause on burst to make it difficult on animal photography
3) 1 less stop of dynamic range at iso100 but this is not significant to me because I woudl bracket and blend even if I was using a Nikon 850 or Sony A7rIII
4) There likely is a R highmpx coming that will permit nd's with TS17 to flatten water
5) Not fast, if you are you a bif person, you will have to have more skill

The upsides:
1) Canon menu
2) 30% bigger printing than r or 5DIV
3) Uses TS17 natively -and if you are not shooting TS you are living with mushed corners
4) 5dsr cropped is better than 7dii uncropped at same distance
5) just works
6) way better in the deep cold than mirrorless for battery life and no flippy screen to fail in the cold

Jul 09, 2019 at 12:33 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5DS-R $1703

Scott Stoness wrote:
Its a great camera. I have had one for several years.If you are a landscape orientated photographer with canon lens you should have one. It allows printing 30% bigger, with similar quality to printing smaller on 5div.

The downsides are:
1) Bigger files take much longer to process
2) Histogram has large pause on burst to make it difficult on animal photography
3) 1 less stop of dynamic range at iso100 but this is not significant to me because I woudl bracket and blend even if I was using a Nikon 850 or Sony A7rIII
4) There likely is a R highmpx coming
...Show more

That seems like a pretty fair summary to me. :-)

Basically, I agree, though with a few slight variations...

- I do a lot of wildlife photography with mine — mostly migratory birds — and I hadn't really paid any attention to the histogram issue you mention.

- The DR is smaller than some alternatives... but I haven't had to bracket since I've had the 5DsR, even with some subjects with pretty wide dynamic range. So far I have always been able to recover a print-worthy file from a single raw. (In truth, perhaps out of habit, I still shoot brackets in such cases — I just don't end up using them.)

- True about the "more skill" part of BIF shooting, along with perhaps being the sort of tends to not burst most of the time. (When shooting BIF I leave the camera in burst mode... but 9/10 times I use a quick shutter press that captures only a single image.)

- I think a lot of 5DsR users would agree with your upside #5 — from the get-go the camera just worked in a straightforward and reliable way.

- Battery life really is better with DSLRs. However, if you are a landscape photographer who relies heavily on live view mode (as I do) you'll likely find that the battery life is about the same as that on mirrorless.

Bottom line: While the 5DsR isn't the ideal camera for everyone, it is a good, solid camera that produces excellent IQ for folks who need higher image resolution.

Dan

(Who confesses that he is spending too much time on FM today. I'm in the middle of the non-fun parts of preparing work for a couple of shows... and any distraction is attractive! ;-) )

Jul 09, 2019 at 01:15 PM
rancherpix
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5DS-R $1703

Where/how do these grey market outfits obtain their merchandise? Is it shipped to them by overseas retailers or wholesalers? Or do employees bring it in as "luggage?" Do they pay import duty?

Jul 10, 2019 at 10:28 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5DS-R $1703

rancherpix wrote:
Where/how do these grey market outfits obtain their merchandise? Is it shipped to them by overseas retailers or wholesalers? Or do employees bring it in as "luggage?" Do they pay import duty?

Often gray market means that a kit package was purchased at a discount in some international market, and then the components separated. Often there is money to be made to split off a body+lens combo into separate sales of just the body and just the lens or lenses.

Some take it to the next level, ie. scam, by trying to upsell the body or lens separately by saying that the battery is a low end 100 shot battery and for $100 more you can get good Canon batteries, or the lens has a plastic mount and will fail unless you buy the upper end lens for $200 more that has a metal mount. Stay away from these. If buying gray market, just buy from those with a good reputation that just sells the body from a kit separately with no upsell or anything.

Jul 10, 2019 at 10:38 AM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5DS-R $1703

The lead url is for a scam. See https://www.resellerratings.com/store/Sixth_Avenue_Electronics_6th_Ave

Jul 11, 2019 at 11:32 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5DS-R $1703

Right now $1,399.99

https://tinyurl.com/y5xqr2ef

Jul 17, 2019 at 11:02 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5DS-R $1703

krementz wrote:
The lead url is for a scam. See https://www.resellerratings.com/store/Sixth_Avenue_Electronics_6th_Ave

I've ordered several items from 6ave and never had a problem. Now about Reseller Ratings...

https://rossmanngroup.com/resellerratings-com-or-extortion-the-process-of-establishing-credibility-in-the-marketplace/
https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/resellerratings.com

Jul 18, 2019 at 09:22 AM
That_Hack
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5DS-R $1703

I've gotten the whole "upsell" crap from 42nd St Camera. But then I reached out to one of the managers and got an apology, the product I asked for at the advertised price, and a free SD card for my trouble. So I've made more than one purchase from them. I'd do the same with other US-based sellers.

For those that have used this camera, what are your thoughts on macro? That's the only reason I'm interested in it. I'd like more detail of insects.

Jul 19, 2019 at 07:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.