New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2019 · EXIF - JFYI

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EXIF - JFYI

Just in case there are some out there that believe that EXIF is always the gospel truth. Just like all data, it can be manipulated and changed.

e.g.

Jul 06, 2019 at 09:42 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EXIF - JFYI

yes it has been actionable for many years.

Jul 06, 2019 at 09:46 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EXIF - JFYI

Yes, like from day one.

Jul 06, 2019 at 10:00 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EXIF - JFYI

Not sure why anyone would need to spend the time to alter their EXIF data not to mention their moral integrity. I suppose there are reasons for such behavior but the logic evades me at this time.

Clearly the above image was shot on Sony equipment though.

Jul 06, 2019 at 10:12 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EXIF - JFYI

It's a taxidermist setup, shot with 3 bodies

Jul 06, 2019 at 10:20 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EXIF - JFYI

lighthound wrote:
Not sure why anyone would need to spend the time to alter their EXIF data not to mention their moral integrity. I suppose there are reasons for such behavior but the logic evades me at this time.

I guess you haven’t figured out that the world is full of scammers, liars, and criminals. They have no moral integrity.

Jul 06, 2019 at 10:35 AM
Coltrayne
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EXIF - JFYI

Almost 8 billion people on this planet. All kinds of dumb sh*t going on out there.

Jul 06, 2019 at 10:49 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EXIF - JFYI

lighthound wrote:

I have only when having a discussion with someone that clearly has an agenda, but states they are being objective. Often that is the FF diehards that say they can tell differences between a shot taking with crop or FF, and sometimes showing a narrow DOF shot with a FF in the exif, and getting the typical "yeah, that shot is obviously a FF and cannot be obtained with an APS-C", only to show them their true colors with the altered EXIF.

Other than that I could care less about the exif on my images and leave them alone.

Sometimes there is less than nefarious results though. Sometimes when editing an image, and copy/paste over another image means that the underlying JPEG file exif is now wrong. This has happened to me a few times, when doing some post processing, and I will just keep a main file up, and just drop a new layer on, and then save it as a new JPEG.

Jul 06, 2019 at 12:06 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EXIF - JFYI

I don't include EXIF data other than my copyright info when supplying files to clients. They don't need to know anything about the hardware or settings I used to create the file, just how to get in touch with me.

Jul 06, 2019 at 01:54 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EXIF - JFYI

Imagemaster wrote:
I guess you haven’t figured out that the world is full of scammers, liars, and criminals. They have no moral integrity.

Yeah, I know all to well the sad truth of our various societies. I guess it's, for me at least, strange because I'm into photography as an escape from the nasty part of life we're surrounded by all the time therefore I see no point it. At least not on purpose or to be deceitful.

---------------------------------------------

TeamSpeed wrote:
I have only when having a discussion with someone that clearly has an agenda, but states they are being objective. Often that is the FF diehards that say they can tell differences between a shot taking with crop or FF, and sometimes showing a narrow DOF shot with a FF in the exif, and getting the typical "yeah, that shot is obviously a FF and cannot be obtained with an APS-C", only to show them their true colors with the altered EXIF.

Other than that I could care less about the exif on my images and leave them alone.

Sometimes there is
...Show more

Same here, I could care less about it for the most part but I do enjoy seeing/knowing the different gear and settings a particular image was shot with when people post them up here.

I guess your FF vs crop example is one instance I could see why someone would bother switching EXIF around. Especially if that was laid out as a specific challenge for the person to figure it out during the conversation.

And yes, I may be guilty of the editing process overlay issue when combining images myself. I don't worry about that much because when I have seen this with my own work it's usually from a bracketed set or a blend from a nearly consecutive shot. I don't think this falls into the same "deceitful" category as purposely going in and changing it. At least I hope not, or else I'm a lying POS myself.

Jul 06, 2019 at 01:57 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EXIF - JFYI

Imagemaster wrote:
Yes, like from day one.

pretty much thus making it many many years

Jul 06, 2019 at 02:03 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EXIF - JFYI

Imagemaster wrote:

Just look at who's in charge just south of your border!

Jul 10, 2019 at 07:42 AM
GeorgeBo
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EXIF - JFYI

lighthound wrote:

There are 2 scenarios where I use a tool like LensTagger to edit my EXIF data of digital shots.

1 - when shooting non-CPU lenses on my Nikon D850 and Z6 to represent the lens model that I used and in the case of the Z, to capture the aperture that I shot since the Z will not record actual shot aperture to the EXIF data.

2 - when shooting my Leica M (Typ 262), I will sometimes edit the EXIF to record the actual lens used and since there is no electronic or manual coupling of the lens to record aperture, the Leica will estimate aperture shot for EXIF. A lot of times it is correct but in some lighting conditions it is off a stop or so. So I will use LensTagger to change the EXIF to the correct aperture that was actually used in shooting.

One other use of an EXIF editor, is recording exposure, lens, type of film used for scanned film images.

In all cases moral integrity is not compromised

George

Jul 10, 2019 at 11:11 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EXIF - JFYI

I remove any EXIF data from online jpegs as a matter of practice.
There's nothing nefarious about that.

EBH

Jul 10, 2019 at 09:10 PM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EXIF - JFYI

EXIF data is basically writing in pencil on the back of the photo. Convenient, but not meant to be authoritative. Just because you could put photographer:Ansel Adams doesn't make it true.

Jul 11, 2019 at 11:24 AM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EXIF - JFYI

I imagine I read somewhere Canon offers some sort of protection mode with some add-on module? That basically guarantees the image hasn't been touched. For use in legal applications etc.

Jul 11, 2019 at 01:59 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EXIF - JFYI

There is zero way to protect exif data in a JPG from being altered....

Any JPEG file can be modified, as they are nothing more than pieces/parts of different data structures, and any program can be written to take it apart and rework it.

Now if you want to come up with some sort of alternative file structure and tie a blockchain to it, things might get a bit harder.

Jul 11, 2019 at 02:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EXIF - JFYI

Given the general integrity of FM ... not sure what the takeaway is supposed to be here?

Although, it would have been funny if the manipulated EXIF would have said something like 8,000,000 mm, f/ABC or -57 ISO to illustrate the manipulations capabilities.

Jul 11, 2019 at 05:47 PM
James Farrell
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EXIF - JFYI

RustyBug wrote:
Given the general integrity of FM ... not sure what the takeaway is supposed to be here?

Although, it would have been funny if the manipulated EXIF would have said something like 8,000,000 mm, f/ABC or -57 ISO to illustrate the manipulations capabilities.

Agree. Not sure what this whole thread is about unless one is trying to stir the pot or trying to address a problem that is not really a problem, at least one that I have seen prevalent.

Now, I append (emphasis on append, not amend) the exif in my image files to include GPS data (a GPX log file) from a stand-alone Garmin eTrex GPS using ExifTool. But this is only done for my information so I know where I took some images. And that info is not for public consumption.

Jul 11, 2019 at 06:44 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EXIF - JFYI

Why would I care if it was manipulated?

Also, I not seeing how changing EXIF data falls into the realm of immorality?

Jul 11, 2019 at 07:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.