New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Direct connect from a Canon 1DX II to my MBP and PM

slimenta

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Direct connect from a Canon 1DX II to my MBP and PM

Looking for help in how to direct connect from my Canon 1DX II to my MBP and import in real time to Photo Mechanic. Any help would be appreciated. I looked in the user manual and I may be missing it, but don't see the answer.

Jul 05, 2019 at 08:42 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Direct connect from a Canon 1DX II to my MBP and PM

Posted @ https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Canon-1dx-mrkii-won-t-connect-to-computer/m-p/217122#M4686

1. Use the network "wizard" built into the camera for the initial connection. It may take several minutes for it to finish negotiating with your PC so give it time and at one point it will prompt you to start EOS utility if it isn't already running. A notification will also pop up from your PC during the initial setup asking you to complete the connection to the camera by tapping the notification. Depending upon what the later Windows updates have done it may also request you to allow a change in the Windows 10 firewall setting, allow this.

2. The network wizard will set up your connection with a dynamic IP address. If you leave it set this way future connections will be very slow to initialize and may fail requiring you to run the network wizard again and go through the long process. Once it sets up the initial setting write down the IP address and gateway it assigned and enter that into the camera as a static IP.

Once this is done, connecting the Ethernet cable and turning on the camera should cause the EOS utility to pop up within about 5 seconds or less. Thanks to windows I had to repeat this process about 6 months after I initially set it up because of a windows update. Going through the network wizard caused it to activate the "allow firewall changes" dialogue which didn't come up until then. My firewall settings already allowed the Canon stuff to go through but there is something that changed in the Microsoft update that created a firewall issue that was resolved by letting the network wizard go through the process again. I suspect it is more of the typical current MS Windows approach where important settings are hidden from the user until you dig deeply into the system so that when you think the firewall is letting an app through it really isn't. Just another symptom of the overly complicated garbage that Windows has devolved into since its robust XP days.

Rodger

Jul 06, 2019 at 03:54 AM
slimenta

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Direct connect from a Canon 1DX II to my MBP and PM

Rodger,

Thank you so much. This worked for me to get pics to the EOS Utility. The problem that I have is that for this to be effective, I need to get the pics into PhotoMechanic directly with my ingest labeling. My goal is to be able to FTP jpegs to an editor during the match and if I have to reinvest from the EOS Utility, the process will be too time consuming. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!!

Jul 06, 2019 at 07:35 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Direct connect from a Canon 1DX II to my MBP and PM

I think what you could do is set up your camera to export the images using FTP, set up an FTP server on your macbook and have photomechanic import the images from the folder holding the images imported from FTP. I think you can have the camera automatically send all of the images as taken or use the "set" button to send the selects.

https://www.shuttersnitch.com/downloads/manuals/canon/1dx-wiredlan-im-en.pdf

Jul 12, 2019 at 09:33 PM
melcat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Direct connect from a Canon 1DX II to my MBP and PM

timgangloff wrote:
set up an FTP server on your macbook

Apple removed the FTP server from macOS a couple of versions ago, for sound technical reasons. AIUI Photo Mechanic provides its own. Also make sure both the camera and Photo Mechanic are set to the "passive" variant of the protocol (may appear as "PASV") and check the firewall settings.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:52 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Direct connect from a Canon 1DX II to my MBP and PM

I think you can still make FTP work on a Mac but I haven't tried it.
https://osxtips.net/how-to-run-ftp-sftp-server-in-macos/

But if PM has a built-in one, that's certainly a more elegant solution.

quote]melcat wrote:
Apple removed the FTP server from macOS a couple of versions ago, for sound technical reasons. AIUI Photo Mechanic provides its own. Also make sure both the camera and Photo Mechanic are set to the "passive" variant of the protocol (may appear as "PASV") and check the firewall settings.

Jul 13, 2019 at 09:38 AM
melcat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Direct connect from a Canon 1DX II to my MBP and PM

timgangloff wrote:
I think you can still make FTP work on a Mac but I haven't tried it.
https://osxtips.net/how-to-run-ftp-sftp-server-in-macos/

I think the advice in that link to install the "homebrew" ftp/rlogin/rsh suite is pretty poor for general consumption. Does that installation tamper with the system /etc/{passwd,groups}? What servers on what open ports does it leave running? Does it clobber Apple's undoubtedly superior rsh? I very strongly disagree with the statement there that "...it will not hurt to install the entire set". On the contrary, rlogin has a history of security holes and you'd be unnecessarily adding it to your attack surface. (rlogin has always been despised for being (i) redundant and (ii) not properly documented.)

If a general user—say, a photographer—is going to install a third party FTP server, I think they'd be better off with one that comes with a GUI installer, release notes, auto-update and preferably be from the App Store or a well-known company.

The second part of the link is flat-out incorrect. The file does not exist under Mojave.

Jul 13, 2019 at 07:58 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Direct connect from a Canon 1DX II to my MBP and PM

I've done some more reading and it appears you are correct. Some like to tinker with their computers and the "brew" can be used by those folks who understand the risks and rewards. I'm more of a GUI guy. The Apple App store does have a $5.00 FTP server call FTP Server. While I have in the past jail broken phones and installed various OS hacks, I'm too lazy for most of that tinkering now and would go with the FTP app in the App store.

So I still think the best way to accomplish the OP task is to set up an FTP server (via an app) and have PM do a live ingest as it monitors the incoming folder.

As an asidd, I've looked at PM and researched it, albeit quickly, but was not able to find any references to PM having a built in FTP server. My use of PM is pretty rudimentary though, ingest, caption and upload via FTP. In looking at my version of PM 5, I don't see any way to set up a FTP server, but I could hav missed it. Maybe it's in V6, but I understand lots of folks are having issues with that new software, so I've not upgraded.

Jul 13, 2019 at 08:28 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.