Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2019 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

buggz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

I've done it now, used GFX 50R on it's way to me.

Now to save for native lenses...

Until then, what is the best adapter for:
Canon EOS EF mount - I have an extensive selection, native, adapted, and modified mounts.
AF & MF.

Really interested in trying my:
- Canon 50/1.0L
- Canon 200/1.8L
- Contax N 85/1.5
- Leica Summilux R 80/1.4 - currently on an EOS EF adapter

Anyone tried any Leica M mounted lenses?
I only have three, but interested in trying my Canon 50/0.95 RF, I'm sure it'll vignette?

Oh, I have many Mamiya 645 lenses too, my ol' 80/1.9 maybe interesting?

And then my old Mamiya RZ67 lenses, hmm...

I think, I got lots of reading to do...

Jul 01, 2019 at 08:16 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

buggz wrote:

Canon EOS EF mount - I have an extensive selection, native, adapted, and modified mounts.
AF & MF.

- Canon 50/1.0L
- Canon 200/1.8L
- Contax N 85/1.5

I only have three, but interested in trying my Canon 50/0.95 RF, I'm sure it'll vignette?

And then my old Mamiya
...Show more

There are three kinds of adapter for EF lenses that work (well two work and one sort of works but doesn't allow you to control the aperture) with the GFX. One kind controls the aperture of the lens with the adapter itself which requires the adapter to have a battery and makes the adapter a bit bigger. Examples of this type of adapter include the combo adapter. Here is a like to that adapter at B & H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1365610-REG/cambo_99070301_ca_gfx_adapter_canon_t5.html

This adapter is quite expensive, but works without any issues except you won't get any EXIF data. It is big and has only one real advantage--you can use it with the Cambo Actus to mount EF lenses (especially the TS lenses) for additional movements.

The second type of adapter lets you control the aperture from the camera and allows rudimentary AF--it will be contrast AF only and pretty slow. I have heard zero reports how these work with the new GFX 100, which might allow better AF but I would be skeptical of that until I see it actually work pretty well. Makers of this type of adapter include Viltrox, Fotodiox, Kipon, and TechArt. Here are the links to those three at B & H below:

Viltrox:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456826-REG/viltrox_ef_gfx_auto_focus_mount_adapter.html

Fotodiox:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1450297-REG/fotodiox_eos_gfx_pro_fusion_pro_fusion_smart_af.html

Kipon:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1457039-REG/kipon_ef_gfx_af_canon_ef_to_gfx.html

TechArt:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1382037-REG/techart_pro_6900527095463_canon_to_fujifilm_gfx.html

There aren't huge difference between these adapters and I suspect they are all based on the same technology, but I don't know that for sure. Steelring (http://www.steelsring.com/en/smartgfx/) also makes one of these adapters and one reason to consider that adapter is they are also making an F mount adapter (and a Contax 645 adapter), so you could have Canon and Nikon DSLR lenses with similar adapters.

The final type of adapter is one that does not allow you to control the adapter but to mount the EF lens to the GFX camera. There are many many of these out there. The obvious drawback is that you need to carry a Canon camera to control he aperture of the lens and you need to unmount the lens, mount it on the Canon camera, and then take it off the Canon camera and remount it on the GFX. Really a pain for most types of shooting, but they are cheaper.

If your Contax N lens has been converted to EF you can mount it just like a Canon lens and it is likely it will work fine, but no guarantees of course. The Leica R 80 can be mounted with a GFX converter for Leica R. You don't need an electronic one and you can choose any of the many manufacturers. I use that lens a lot on my GFX and I love it.

Jul 02, 2019 at 08:50 AM
buggz
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

Thanks for this information.

I have the latest Techart on it's way, as I need something to arrive when the body does,
so I can at least immediately test the body for faults.
Kinda e$pen$ive...

The only two focus via wire Canons I have, that I know of, are the 50/1.0L, and the 200/1.8L.
I don't know if the 24-105/4 is focus via wire.
Then the only remaining AF one is the Contax N 85/1.4 converted to EOS EF mount.
The rest are modified, or adapted MF.

Jul 02, 2019 at 09:35 AM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

As far as I know the Techart STILL has the catastrophic firmware flaw of causing the wrong lens profile (GF 63mm) to be written to the raw file. This lens profile cannot be disabled in Adobe products or removed without converting the file to .dng and using exiftool commands. It causes literally every single file produced with this adapter to be geometrically distorted because the wrong lens profile is applied. Really. It is that bad.

Their solution was to make you hold down the button while powering on the camera to put the adapter in a mode that uses a blank lens profile instead. You have no way of knowing which mode you are in while using the camera. Stay away from Techart.

Steelsring does not have this issue. I think the Kipon (smart adapter) doesn't either, but I've never tried it. With the Steelsring you can press the button to get Shutter priority, which someone was saying they cannot do on some other smart adapters. This is normally the "A" setting on the aperture ring on GF lenses, which doesn't exist on adapted lenses, obviously.

Edit:
"I have the latest Techart on it's way"

Cancel the order. Send it back.

https://i.imgur.com/x12MuLS.gif

Jul 02, 2019 at 09:36 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

TeachArt here. Here I am using my 85L f1.2 II with GFX50s. I see no issues with the wrong profile. AF is little bit slower but 85L is already a slow lens and same with the GFX. I don't know what firmware mine has as I haven't looked into it.

I would like to buy couple of different brands and test them out but that's too expensive as most of these adapters come from China and aren't readily available. Wish there was some site which did the tests. I hear there is a facebook Fuji group but I am not join FB just for that.

Jul 02, 2019 at 12:36 PM
buggz
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

Thanks for the information.

"Amazon.com" <[email protected]>
Unable to cancel items from your order
Bummer, shrug, guess I'll try it send it back, and reorder the Steelsring one, sigh...

Jul 02, 2019 at 12:47 PM
buggz
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

Nice photos.
I believe the original 85/1.2 is a focus via wire design?
Comparable to the 50/1.0 design.
I haven't kept up with the II version...

Yes, I agree, I wish FB would completely disappear.
I don't understand why people keep trying to legitimize FB.
And not being able to view content until log in should be a crime.

Jul 02, 2019 at 12:51 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

bobby350z wrote:
TeachArt here. Here I am using my 85L f1.2 II with GFX50s. I see no issues with the wrong profile.

Go look at the lens profile that has been automatically applied to your raw image. Then go try and shoot a straight line at the edge of the frame. That is what you'll see in the image I posted.

This may not be a total disaster for portraits, but it is for real estate and architecture. I don't do high volume shoots anymore, but this is a nightmare for anyone who has to correct all of these distortions over hundreds of images.

Considering that people have sunk thousands into a premium GFX system only to have distortion that wouldn't occur with a $500 body, this is a fucking trainwreck from Techart. It's particularly frustrating that not one in a thousand people even realizes it's happening and they all deny it when I bring the issue up.

Edit: https://i.imgur.com/DbujMoc.png

Oh and I forgot, you won't be able to see the GF63 profile applied: https://i.imgur.com/6SrC8LN.png

You can test by activating aperture preview and slightly twisting the lens off the mount so it's electronically disconnected. Shoot one connected, and one disconnected.

Edit 2: Here's the pdf I made about these issues a while ago: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x13pl2jv6gcq9wj/GFX50s%2C%20Smart%20EF-GFX%20Adapters%2C%20and%20Lens%20Profiles.pdf?dl=0

Jul 02, 2019 at 01:24 PM
buggz
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

You have submitted all this information to Techart?
Shame they wont send replies back as I hear Viltrox does.

Jul 02, 2019 at 02:19 PM
stempsons
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

I have the Kipon and the Techart. The profile issue with the Techart is non issue with the lenses I use. One thing to note, is that the Techart is the fastest to focus that I've seen. twice as fast as the Kipon, and Viltrox (assuming the Viltrox copy you get works at all.

Steelsring is supposed to be a pretty good adapter as well, it's the only one I haven't used.

Jul 02, 2019 at 02:50 PM
stempsons
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

this is a great resource for the GFX (assuming you're on FB) https://www.facebook.com/groups/FujifilmGFXcameras/

Jul 02, 2019 at 02:56 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

This may not be a total disaster for portraits, but it is for real estate and architecture. I don't do high volume shoots anymore, but this is a nightmare for anyone who has to correct all of these distortions over hundreds of images.

I would be using simple manual adapter then with Canon 24TSE lens. I know pressing that button all the time you power on the camera is not perfect but using adapter already is not perfect. If you forget to press the button and then complain (which seems like it), I don't know what to say. To me that is user error. Sure TechArt should work on not requiring that button. Personally I use native glass most of the time. I just got techart to try my 85L and so far it seems to work without any issues.

Jul 02, 2019 at 03:15 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

buggz wrote:
You have submitted all this information to Techart?
Shame they wont send replies back as I hear Viltrox does.

Yes, I am the one who discovered this issue and made enough noise to force them to fix it. However, as far as I know they haven't implemented the fix permanently. I brought this issue and a color shift issue to the attention of Steelsring and both problems were quickly and permanently resolved.

Jul 02, 2019 at 04:08 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

Honestly try it a day and then if it doesn't do what you need, return it.

Jul 02, 2019 at 04:11 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

bobby350z wrote:
I know pressing that button all the time you power on the camera is not perfect but using adapter already is not perfect.

Using the Techart results in egregious distortion. Using a different adapter results in zero distortion. This is a futile rationalization.

If you forget to press the button and then complain (which seems like it), I don't know what to say. To me that is user error.

I turn my camera on and off hundreds of times during a shoot. The button is not reliable and gives no indication as to its current mode. There is no way to tell if you held the button long enough. In addition, I often hand off my cameras to members of my team during larger shoots. It is ridiculous trying to monitor this, especially given the price of the equipment. Most importantly, there is absolutely no reason for this issue. It is literally a thirty-second firmware update that Techart could issue anytime. Do you want to reward such incompetence?

Edited on Jul 03, 2019 at 11:30 PM · View previous versions

Jul 02, 2019 at 04:24 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

The Fotodiox Fusion Pro recognizes every Canon lens I've put on it. AF works well enough but there is some weirdness with ultrafast lenses, as the GFX actuates the lens diaphragm a lot and will also focus from a stopped down position, only to set the diaphragm to your chosen f stop upon taking the photo.

I don't use the hardware P/A switch but it's nice to have the option. The Fusion Pro's build is a cut above the entry-level "Fotodioxen" [sic].

Fuji's missing the boat on a small but useful lens adapter market, though obviously their primary goal is to sell GF lenses.

As an aside, the GF lenses are so uniformly good that if there is an adaptable, like-featured lens, unless money is an issue, just get the GF lens. The native lens is likely the best performer, if say you have a 100mm f1.8 for 35mm, just use the 110 f/2.

Jul 02, 2019 at 05:18 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

buggz wrote:

AF & MF.

- Canon 50/1.0L
- Canon 200/1.8L
- Contax N 85/1.5

And then my old Mamiya
...Show more

Something I missed in my earlier post was commenting about other adapted lenses. I have used Leica M lenses. Most are not great, but I do like several. I have the 135 f/3.4 APO and it is does surprisingly well on the GFX 50s. It is about like a 100 f/2.4 on FF 35 if you crop to 4 X 3 or squarer which provides a useful reduction in depth of field. The lens is also small and a joy to use. I have used the 90 cron AA as well. It requires a fair bit of cropping but the resulting image is very nice. People report that the Voigtlander 40 and 50 f/1.2 lenses are quite nice on the 44 X 33 sensor but I haven't checked that myself. Wider angle Leica M lenses seem mostly to have some pretty serious issues. I have not seen any shots with the Canon RF 50 f/0.95, but I would not be optimistic although even stopped down a couple of stops on the GFX it would still have very shallow depth of field and might be interesting.

The Mamiya 645 lenses are quite nice and quite cheap. I have used the 55 f/2.8 and it is a very nice lens. The 120 f/4 A Macro is also a wonderful lens. Danny Burke has the 80 f/1.9 and seems to like it a lot maybe he will comment more on that lens.

I also have two RZ67 lenses that I use with the Cambo adapter to allow lots of tilt and shift. I have the 65 f/4 LA and the 140 f/4.5 Macro. Both are very nice on the GFX.

Jul 02, 2019 at 05:49 PM
buggz
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

Thanks for this information Steve.

Perhaps I will get the Steelsring adapter as well to test in tandem with the Techart?

Though, I would say that engardeknave's experience and knowledge has already performed this with greater detail than I would.

Jul 03, 2019 at 01:11 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

buggz wrote:
Thanks for this information Steve.

Perhaps I will get the Steelsring adapter as well to test in tandem with the Techart?

Though, I would say that engardeknave's experience and knowledge has already performed this with greater detail than I would.

I'd just check to make sure Techart didn't fix this issue in their last firmware. I don't think they did but I haven't looked in nearly a year.

Jul 03, 2019 at 04:18 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · best EOS EF adapter to GFX?

I agree with engardeknave re: Techart adapters. I've posted these samples repeatedly on the GFX Facebook forum, yet few seem to know about it each time I post. Here are images from an Otus 85 using a Techart adapter, without (#1) and with (#2) the button being pressed. AFAIK, it doesn't load the profile **as long as you press the button whenever you turn on the camera or change a lens**. However, this is easy to forget - why take the risk unless you already own it and don't want to buy another?

Excuse the poor lighting and so on; this was intended only for my own testing and not for public posting, but since it's been helpful to others, I'll post the samples anyway. The severe pincushion distortion on image #1 is very easy to see:

_GFX0239 85mm badprofile by D B, on Flickr

_GFX0240 85mm noprofile by D B, on Flickr

Jul 03, 2019 at 04:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.