New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Light show on the beach

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Light show on the beach

Here's another one taken just a few minutes after the previously post image.
Full disclosure, this is a 4 image blend mostly due to blurry ghosted people walking on the beach while I had the shutter open and I needed them to go away. So I figured I'd go ahead and bring in the lightning strikes for a few others while I was at it.

Thoughts and preference on which version you prefer?

Dave

Ver 1

Ver 2

Jun 28, 2019 at 08:52 PM
grandmas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Light show on the beach

I still prefer your second post in the other thread.

Jun 28, 2019 at 09:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Light show on the beach

Ver 2 has a kiss more gamma / drama to it. These have a different vibe from your previous one. These "strike" me as more a technically cool shot. The other one strikes me a bit more mood / vibe oriented ... color has it's way of employing mood.

Jun 28, 2019 at 09:56 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Light show on the beach

Very good job on this capture, Dave. Love the sky and its colors while the lightning adds some drama. May be opening some shades on the palm tree?
Socrate

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:28 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Light show on the beach

Shasoc wrote:
Very good job on this capture, Dave. Love the sky and its colors while the lightning adds some drama. May be opening some shades on the palm tree?
Socrate

Thanks Socrate. I wasn't sure how much to pull out on the tree and thought by leaving it somewhat subdued would help the viewer lock in on the lightning more. It does look like the darks are blocked up though so I'll take a look at that.

Dave

Jun 29, 2019 at 12:42 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Light show on the beach

lighthound wrote:
Here's another one taken just a few minutes after the previously post image.
Full disclosure, this is a 4 image blend mostly due to blurry ghosted people walking on the beach while I had the shutter open and I needed them to go away. So I figured I'd go ahead and bring in the lightning strikes for a few others while I was at it.

Thoughts and preference on which version you prefer?

Dave

Incredible drama. Looks like 8 lightning strikes all at once. How long did u watch this? Did u take any telephoto shots? Did u get rained on?
Steve

Jun 29, 2019 at 01:14 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Light show on the beach

eeneryma wrote:
Incredible drama. Looks like 8 lightning strikes all at once. How long did u watch this? Did u take any telephoto shots? Did u get rained on?
Steve

Thanks Steve. There are actually more than that in this image but as I pointed out in the OP, this is a composite of 4 separate images. Plus these were long exposures. I had people walking through my frame during several exposures so I used a different frame to blend them out and figured I'd bring in a few extra lightning bolts as long as I was at it.

This below image is a single exposure with not composite work. I used this single exposure as my base image minus the ghost people.

I stayed out there for over an hour snapping like crazy on this storm. And no, unfortunately I grabbed my UW 16-35 f/4 but realy with I would have grabbed my 24-70 f/4 instead. The rain only lasted about 5 minutes when it came through so I stayed nice and dry the entire time.

Single frame image below with only basic LR adjustments.

More to come so I hope none of you are getting bored with these.

Dave

single base exposure with lots of dust bunnies

Jun 29, 2019 at 03:06 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Light show on the beach

I'm unsure why, but version one appeals slightly more to me. Yeah, I know, I'm normally partial to "more drama", but ....

Jun 29, 2019 at 04:47 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Light show on the beach

nice work either way, Dave! Beyond my skill set.
Differences appear subtle to me but I prefer the slightly lighter/brighter first version.
Great timing. How long were the exposures?
Scott

Jun 29, 2019 at 07:31 PM
visualpauses
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Light show on the beach

This was a great scene, and you captured it well, Dave, I mean, even in your base capture, your only nit is the ghosted people. Between the OP on the other thread and the two versions here, I prefer the first one because the saturation is a bit overcooked on the second one.
However if you were to ask me to look at both images for a full day, which probably you may have done already, I wouldn't be able to spot too many differences. If you were to show me both individually, I would like them both, as well as your first image.
Also, in your SOOC-ish image, the palm tree seems to have more light on it than in the first image on this thread. But I think that's just because the BG is brighter in the processed images and so by comparison the palm tree looks darker. +1 to adding glow to the palm tree. I feel it will be an odd visual barrier if it is not incorporated into the scene with more light.
Alternately, if the palm tree needs to remain dar, the lightning on the right of it could be subdued a little.

Jun 30, 2019 at 01:14 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.