New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Lens flare challenge.

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens flare challenge.

It seems that no matter how long I bash Ps around, I keep stumbling into interesting new things. By accident I found Select -> Render -> Lens flare. OMG. A way to augment/control that crack of dawn. It's a bit hokey I guess but has real possibility. So the problem. The selection window is tiny. I can't be precise in placing the flare point. I have to keep bouncing back and forth hoping to get it correct by accident. The other thing is that I'd like to have real control over color, shape, intensity of the flare. Can't seem to figure that out either.

Here's an early bit of piddling around. What a blast!

Dawn in Vaughn

Jun 28, 2019 at 04:02 PM
guidostow
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens flare challenge.

Can you use a minus value to reduce flare?

Jun 28, 2019 at 04:06 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens flare challenge.

Various flare options have been in PS for ages. I never had any use for it, preferring to avoid flare at all costs.

EBH

Jun 28, 2019 at 07:43 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens flare challenge.

I hear you EB. Can't remember how often I've had to learn to keep the sun out of the edge of the lens. Even start carrying the hood. Hate hoods. Know how far a lens extends from my eye - but not with a hood.

Still, sometimes when you have an idea you break the rules.

Jun 29, 2019 at 09:35 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens flare challenge.

This actually got me thinking because I'm often wanting to ADD more flare to images and modern lenses are so hard to make flare. I hadn't visited the Lens Flare filter in probably twenty years and there are some interesting options there for some fairly realistic looking flares. Usually I just make my own sort of veiled flare by painting on a new layer set to Screen blending mode and that is often enough. Or, for a recent CD cover shot, I shot an image directly into a bare strobe head and used that flared image over the actual image. I think that the most effective way to use the Flare filter is to dupe your background layer and apply it to that, where you can then modify and mask it to suit.

And while playing with Flare, I also discovered a filter that I never knew about - he Fire or Flame - I can't remember exactly what it's called. Some quite realistic looking flames from that. A lot of the built-in filters can usually be written off as cheesy but every once in a while you can be surprised and find a good one.

Jun 29, 2019 at 02:09 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens flare challenge.

Peter Figen wrote:
<snip>

And while playing with Flare, I also discovered a filter that I never knew about - he Fire or Flame - I can't remember exactly what it's called. Some quite realistic looking flames from that. A lot of the built-in filters can usually be written off as cheesy but every once in a while you can be surprised and find a good one.

I first used Ps when it didn't have a number following, i.e., first edition. I didn't know much about processing as I'd come from B&W film. My full development/printing abilities were develop film, crop/expand via an enlarger, and print. Given that I only had access to a lab in grad school, and I could barely afford film much less paper - not a lot of experience.

With Ps it was crop, saturate, adjust exposure - that's all folks! In battling Ps over these few years, I think Adobe epitomizes the hide the function in the interface or the joy of discovery when you are trying to do something. I'd not paid much attention to select (I yearn to make Color Select work the way I think it should.) And none to Filter -> Render. There's tree, flame, clouds, etc,

It's amazing how after all these years the simplest of things elude me. Take quick mask - please! I understand mask - I think. Area masked prevents anything from happening while operating on the non-masked area. I select, invert. Every thing is pinked out. No matter what I do, any filter applied to non-pink selection affects the whole image. See what I mean? Drive a man to drink.

Jul 02, 2019 at 10:26 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.