FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · I saw a dinosaur!

Colin F
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I saw a dinosaur!

While birds are known to be of dinosaur lineage, this guy really shows his roots.

While I was recently photographing a California Quail in my area a couple weeks ago, I saw two Guinea Fowl - a bird which I had never seen before. I was in a rural, farming area, so they were surely owned by someone nearby, but their newness to my eyes caused me to follow them a bit and snap some pictures.

From Wiki:

"Sometimes called "pet speckled hen", or "original fowl" are birds of the family Numididae in the order Galliformes. They are endemic to Africa and rank among the oldest of the gallinaceous birds. Phylogenetically, they branch off from the core Galliformes after the Cracidae and before the Odontophoridae. An Eocene fossil lineage, Telecrex, has been associated with guineafowl. Telecrex inhabited Mongolia, and may have given rise to the oldest of the true Phasianids such as Ithaginis and Crossoptilon, which evolved into high-altitude montane-adapted species with the rise of the Tibetan Plateau. While modern guineafowl species are endemic to Africa, the helmeted guineafowl has been introduced as a domesticated bird widely elsewhere."

https://media.fotki.com/2v2EVZHb2xBSnFo.jpg

Edited on Jun 27, 2019 at 11:52 PM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:06 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I saw a dinosaur!

Fascinating and well captured Collin

Morris

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:20 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I saw a dinosaur!

Thanks Morrrris.

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:23 PM
Lotuselite
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I saw a dinosaur!

We had four of these take up residence in the Strata Complex I live in. They had to have escaped from some local farm or some such place. They were a real nuisance in the area and they obviously were finding enough food to stay around.
Nobody would own up to having owned them and they were impossible to catch. They were very good at going up on roofs when efforts were made to trap them. They made a ruckus a lot of the time and went from garden to garden.
Obviously extreme measures, (Shotgun ?) could have solved the problem but that would have had repercussions with the law. Eventually the numbers dwindled but it took a long time. I'm not sure what happened to the last couple but while they were easy to photograph everyone was glad to see the back of them.

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:12 PM
jwear2424

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I saw a dinosaur!

Why no picture

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:16 PM
juankgigo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I saw a dinosaur!

Nice details on this "dinosaur" love the framing and colors.

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:36 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I saw a dinosaur!

juankgigo wrote:
Nice details on this "dinosaur" love the framing and colors.

Thanks. One creature that we could truly call a "bone head".

Jun 30, 2019 at 01:26 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.