Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

genji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

highdesertmesa wrote:
Mine just arrived today (SC). I’d sent my 35 Lux pre-ASPH out for CLA to DAG and needed a stand-in and possible companion for use on another body — dual-wielding 35 1.4s

Really nice lens. Didn’t expect it to be on par with CVs other recent lenses as far as build quality and focus feel. Really, really nice. Images so far at f/1.4 look great and no focus shift wide open. Threw on a spare Leica UV filter — normally I use a Zeiss UV, but it didn’t want the T* coating affecting the SC version’s contrast. Will post some
...Show more

Puzzled as to why you wrote “no focus shift wide open” since focus shift (if present) only becomes evident as a lens is stopped down.

Aug 09, 2022 at 04:03 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

genji wrote:
Puzzled as to why you wrote “no focus shift wide open” since focus shift (if present) only becomes evident as a lens is stopped down.

Because I often don’t know what I’m talking about I guess. Should have said originally, “rangefinder focus seems ok at f/1.4 shooting objects close by in the house — will try other distances shortly.”

At around mid-distance, focus seems to be close to accurate at f/2 with the rangefinder. But at f/1.4 at the same distances, focus is anywhere between 1-3’ in front of where the rangefinder is focused. It’s just not possible to use the copy that I had at f/1.4 and mid-distance with the rangefinder.

Aug 09, 2022 at 05:04 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

highdesertmesa wrote:
Tested a bit more. Definitely returning mine. Will decide to try another copy or not at a later date. At anything but MFD and infinity, when set to f/1.4, it front focuses compared to live view. Since my main use will be at f/1.4 at all distances, this copy won’t do it for me.

Bummer. Mine focuses correctly - took a few quick shots @ 1.4 at various distances.

Aug 09, 2022 at 05:52 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

Desmolicious wrote:
Bummer. Mine focuses correctly - took a few quick shots @ 1.4 at various distances.

Thanks for letting me know. I guess mine was not calibrated correctly or had some sort of defect.

Aug 09, 2022 at 06:10 PM
genji
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

highdesertmesa wrote:
Thanks for letting me know. I guess mine was not calibrated correctly or had some sort of defect.

Just the normal Voigtlander quality control lottery.

Aug 09, 2022 at 06:40 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

highdesertmesa wrote:
Nice! At f/1.4, mine focuses correctly at MFD and close distance, but at about 5 meters, it’s clearly front-focusing unless I switch to f/2. Does yours have any focus shift at f/1.4? Trying to figure out if this is normal or if I should try another copy.

I've tried many copies of this lens and never saw this behavior. When it's accurate at 2mm with the RF, it's accurate at longer distances as well. Infinity hard stop may not be perfect though. This is the lens I've seen the least variation.
I also own the Leica 35/1.4 Lux 'pre-asph' and the Voigtlander is be a modern lens next to the Lux.

When testing both side by side, I saw that they have pretty much identical rendering and resolution across the field. The difference is that the Lux has way less contrast and more glow wide open.

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:38 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I've tried many copies of this lens and never saw this behavior. When it's accurate at 2mm with the RF, it's accurate at longer distances as well. Infinity hard stop may not be perfect though. This is the lens I've seen the least variation.
I also own the Leica 35/1.4 Lux 'pre-asph' and the Voigtlander is be a modern lens next to the Lux.

When testing both side by side, I saw that they have pretty much identical rendering and resolution across the field. The difference is that the Lux has way less contrast and more glow wide open.

Seems my copy was optimized for f/2 with the rangefinder. It focused correctly on infinity at the infinity hard stop, though. I may try another copy of the lens then, as otherwise it was great. Even the single coated version was sharper and better performing than the pre-asph (but without the dramatic glow as you said).

Does your 35 Lux Pre-ASPH have crazy veiling flare at f/1.4 if the light hits it just right? I'm not sure if I just never noticed or if it was made worse by the SL 601 sensor I was using – or if the DAG CLA cleared up the elements so well that the difference now between f/1.4 and f/2 is so much more noticeable with regard to veiling flare.

Aug 24, 2022 at 09:26 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 ii mc is very pleasant lens to give taste and joy of photography.
Taken at Milliken Park in August 26, 2022 with Sony A7R2

Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f1.4 MC II

Aug 24, 2022 at 08:21 PM
frame_00

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

I've got a really close eye on this lens. The focus shift was annoying and problematic sometimes on my V1 and I'm glad they released a V2 with the fix. It's either this and money on film or I just splurge on a 35mm Summilux pre-FLE.

Aug 31, 2022 at 07:57 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

The lens version II provide moderate sharpness and nice color rendition for general purpose.

Aug 31, 2022 at 08:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ocean2059
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

I have used a SC version II for a while and I like it very much. I have not used it on film but on digital I think this is one of best value M mount fast lenses (f/1.4) in 35mm focal length. My copy has pretty good sharpness wide open and I have not noticed any focus issue. Stepping down a bit, the lens provides great sharpness and color. While the lens' MFD is 0.7m, it does have more distortion at close focus distance compared to the Leica Summilux-m 35 pre-ASPH. Here are two taken with Leica M240 body.

© ocean2059 2022

© ocean2059 2022

Aug 31, 2022 at 09:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

That is true. Distortion is noticeably higher compared to the pre-asph.

ocean2059 wrote:
I have used a SC version II for a while and I like it very much. I have not used it on film but on digital I think this is one of best value M mount fast lenses (f/1.4) in 35mm focal length. My copy has pretty good sharpness wide open and I have not noticed any focus issue. Stepping down a bit, the lens provides great sharpness and color. While the lens' MFD is 0.7m, it does have more distortion at close focus distance compared to the Leica Summilux-m 35 pre-ASPH. Here are two taken with Leica M240 body.

Aug 31, 2022 at 09:51 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

If I want to play with a 35mm 1.4, is this the lens to get? I have the 28mm ultron V2 and 50mm lanthar that I really like.

Sep 01, 2022 at 12:05 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

highdesertmesa wrote:
Seems my copy was optimized for f/2 with the rangefinder. It focused correctly on infinity at the infinity hard stop, though. I may try another copy of the lens then, as otherwise it was great. Even the single coated version was sharper and better performing than the pre-asph (but without the dramatic glow as you said).

Does your 35 Lux Pre-ASPH have crazy veiling flare at f/1.4 if the light hits it just right? I'm not sure if I just never noticed or if it was made worse by the SL 601 sensor I was using – or if the DAG
...Show more

Yes, both Voigtlander 35/1.4 SC and Leica 35/1.4 Lux pre-asph flare quite a bit. I don't know which is worse but ghosting and veiling flare can have an effect in the images. I see it as part of their character though. The glow is always there when shooting the Lux wide open whereas with the Voigt, it has to be provoked under high contrast lighting. Their dedicated hoods are not able to prevent flare, especially under backlighting.

Sep 06, 2022 at 08:35 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

@highdesertmesa, also you mentioned somewhere that the use of regular filters with the Leica 35/1.4 lux pre-asph's hood causes extra vignetting and smearing. I did see a small increase in vignetting when shooting at wide apertures but not smearing. The small amount of induced vignetting is easily remedied by using the LR setting below:

BTW, I'm using a B+W 49mm clear filter and it fits perfectly on the 12504 hood.

Midpoint at maximum since the induced vignetting is only at the very corners of the frame

Sep 06, 2022 at 08:40 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

Fred Miranda wrote:
@highdesertmesa@, also you mentioned somewhere that the use of regular filters with the Leica 35/1.4 lux pre-asph's hood causes extra vignetting and smearing. I did see a small increase in vignetting when shooting at wide apertures but not smearing. The small amount of induced vignetting is easily remedied by using the LR setting below:

I had previously noticed soft corners when using that exact setup on the M11 even at f/8-11 at infinity (12504 hood with B+W 49mm). Then the other day when I discovered this combo was causing vignetting in the same area of the corners, so I assumed they were related. I thought physically blocking the light path reduces sharpness – maybe "smearing" isn't the right word? I'll test tomorrow with/without to see if that combo is reducing corner sharpness at infinity.

Sep 06, 2022 at 11:08 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

Fred Miranda wrote:
@highdesertmesa@, also you mentioned somewhere that the use of regular filters with the Leica 35/1.4 lux pre-asph's hood causes extra vignetting and smearing. I did see a small increase in vignetting when shooting at wide apertures but not smearing. The small amount of induced vignetting is easily remedied by using the LR setting below:

Reporting back with a test:
– SL2-S
– 35 Summilux-M pre-ASPH v2
– f/8
– 400% zoom to the top left corner

Filters tested in the 12504 hood:
– 49mm B+W MRC Nano Clear
– 49mm Zeiss T* UV (reversed in hood)
– Leica Series VII UVa
– No hood/no filter

Any differences can probably be written off to midday heat. At 100% and 24mp there is no difference between any of them.

Sep 07, 2022 at 05:31 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

genji wrote:
Just the normal Voigtlander quality control lottery.

Case in point, today I'm returning the CV 35 Color Skopar f/2.5, which was misaligned – left side of the frame was softer/blurry compared to the center and the right at any aperture.

I'm giving up on the lowest-priced Voigtlanders.

Sep 07, 2022 at 05:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

highdesertmesa wrote:
Case in point, today I'm returning the CV 35 Color Skopar f/2.5, which was misaligned – left side of the frame was softer/blurry compared to the center and the right at any aperture.

I'm giving up on the lowest-priced Voigtlanders.

This happens with Leica too!!

Sep 07, 2022 at 05:57 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Voigtlander Classic Nokton 35mm f/1.4 II - Any reviews?

highdesertmesa wrote:
Reporting back with a test:
– SL2-S
– 35 Summilux-M pre-ASPH v2
– f/8
– 400% zoom to the top left corner

Filters tested in the 12504 hood:
– 49mm B+W MRC Nano Clear
– 49mm Zeiss T* UV (reversed in hood)
– Leica Series VII UVa
– No hood/no filter

Any differences can probably be written off to midday heat. At 100% and 24mp there is no difference between any of them.

Thanks for the test. That's what I saw on my infinity test as well. The 35/1.4 pre-asph with the B+W thin filters only increases vignetting slightly when shooting wide open or close to it. Stopping down, there are no changes. There is no smearing either. I'd say using third filters with the 12504 hood is ok.

Sep 07, 2022 at 06:00 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password