Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Lens & Adapter mounting order ... ???

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens & Adapter mounting order ... ???

As I'm thinking about my lens / body lineup, it includes both the use of a 1.4X TC III and future use of R mount adapters for EF glass.

My question is how much ... and why ... does it matter if you mount the Adapter (or TC) & Lens together BEFORE mounting the combined assembly to the body. Compare that to simply putting the Adapter on the body (EOS R) and treating it as part of the camera, swapping lenses only. Same for leaving the TC on (80D) and swapping my 100-400 II from 80D (with TC) to EOS R (with adapter).

I know that I typically mount the TC "assembly" first prior to mounting on my 80D. But, that is only one lens combination. In the case of the R (future consideration), the adapter would apply to multiple lenses. What is "wrong" with simply putting the adapter on the body, and leaving it welded there when changing (EF) lenses?

What will malfunction or be damaged by simply leaving the adapter in place? I've done this on occasion with other bodies and have experienced no problems from it. As mentioned, I tend to build the assembly first, but in the heat of the moment, it hasn't always been the case, with no problems noticed.

Is it critical (short term / long term effects) to build the "assembly" prior to mounting on the body. Or, is it merely the "most correct" way to do it, and yet, there isn't really any problematic issues to arise from doing it the "less correct" way.

TIA

Jun 25, 2019 at 06:59 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens & Adapter mounting order ... ???

I don't there's anything wrong with leaving an EF to RF adapter on a R-series camera. That's what I plan to do, when shooting EF lenses on the yet-to-be-obtained RS high-res camera. There should be no issues, until you start mixing in RF lenses, or Alt lenses with an Alt to RF adapter (e.g. Konica AR to RF). Over time, I expect that I'll get at least two EF to RF adapters; (i) control ring, and (ii) internal filter, and then it'll start to get interesting.

Jun 25, 2019 at 07:36 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens & Adapter mounting order ... ???

Canon has always recommended attaching a TC to the lens, and then to the camera, but many have left the TC on the camera when changing lens's, with no problems. Weather to turn the power Off while changing has also been questioned.

In spite of the recommendations, there has to be built-in safeguards to prevent damage when they are forgotten, or ignored else we'd have seen many associated failure reports on Camera forums; & I don't recall ever seeing any.

Jun 25, 2019 at 08:38 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens & Adapter mounting order ... ???

I have never encountered a problem leaving adapters/TCs on, or the order in which I put them all together.

The only issue so far is that the Viltrox speedbooster/EF adapter will drain my M series battery even with the camera off. That is the oddball out of the adapters and 2 different sets of TCs I use. I don't think I have updated its firmware though yet.

Jun 25, 2019 at 08:58 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens & Adapter mounting order ... ???

Okay, thanks.

That has pretty much been my experience too. But, anytime I'm in a store ... the staff are always uber-meticulous about it.

I was just wondering if there was something I was missing that made it significant.

Thanks again.

Jun 25, 2019 at 06:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.