Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2019 · Best Canon for shooting people?

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Canon for shooting people?

I have a long-term assignment to shoot kids fishing at several Statewide events and I have to pick a camera set-up for doing this. If budget was not an issue, I'd get a Canon 5DM4 w/ a Canon EF 24-105mm F/4L. But this is an expensive setup and probably more than I have to spend.

I would like to stick with a FF camera and in looking at refurbished, I was shocked to find that now the old 6D's ($1359) are more money than the refurbished 6DM2 ($1169). What happened?

If I want to stick with an L lens so I have the sharpest lens possible and I don't have enough for a FF, what APS-C's are better than just good? I have an older Rebel SL1 which was a pretty good camera and I see they now have an SL3? I've always been interested in the 7D-M2, but that's an expensive camera too. What APS-C Canon has a really good sensor and has fast focusing capabilities?

The photos will be printed to 4x6 and they will be used in public government websites for publicity.

Thanks.
Bill

Jun 24, 2019 at 04:59 PM
JR137

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Canon for shooting people?

Who’s selling 6Ds? I bought my 6D new from Adorama in January for $999. My cousin was looking for one shortly after but we couldn’t find any from any usual suspect authorized dealers. I wouldn’t pay $1359 for a new one unless it came with a 24-105L, was new, and an authorized dealer.

Since you’re considering 6D level stuff, have you considered the RP? Seems like a mirrorless 6D, specs-wise. I contemplated one and would’ve bought one if it weren’t for the inferior battery life.

Edit: I just saw fast focusing in your post. Not sure if mirrorless is the right choice. I haven’t used one other than playing around with one for a little while in Best Buy while waiting for the Apple store to change a battery in my iPhone.

Jun 24, 2019 at 05:27 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Canon for shooting people?

The 6D is a very old camera, and likely isn't available with new stock from many places (if at all). I'm surprised you can find it for sale (new) at all, for any price. I'd also be verysuspicious of any of those high priced sellers.

You can pick up a used 6D for a few hundred dollars. From a retail store that deals in used equipment is should come well under $1k.

If I were you, I wouldnt attempt your assigent with a first gen 6D. I have a first gen 6D, and it produces amazing pics of my family. But, it should be very far from your first choice to photograph kids and paid event work, especially paid event work featuring kids. The AF system isn't up to the task, IMO. Too few AF points with too little ability to track moving subjects, and the live-view AF is useless for moving subjects. The 6D II has a hugely upgraded AF system and has fast, accurate DPAF and face tracking in Live-View. It's the camera you want for people, kids, and paid work.

If that's still too expensive, you could look into an crop camera like the 80D. It also has a great AF system, DPAF + face tracking, and the limitations of its smaller sensor would be mitigated by the fact that most of your work sounds like it will be outdoors. Pair it with an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and you'll take (outdoor) photos that could rival a 6D I + 24-104 f/4L.

Jun 24, 2019 at 05:29 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Canon for shooting people?

High price doesn't mean the camera is selling at that price, it could be the reverse -- those are the only prices you still see as the camera has not sold at that price.

Not enough information is given, the best thing to do is scout out the sites and see where you will be vs. where your subjects will be. For instance you may want a 70-200mm if you can't get close.

Also it goes without saying but I would get a model release from the parents just so they know what they are getting into, not everyone likes to be associated with the government or have their photo used to promote it.

Jun 24, 2019 at 05:39 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Canon for shooting people?

JR137 wrote:
Edit: I just saw fast focusing in your post. Not sure if mirrorless is the right choice. I haven’t used one other than playing around with one for a little while in Best Buy while waiting for the Apple store to change a battery in my iPhone.

To be clear, the RP should focus very quickly. Acquiring focus quickly is not the issue, nor is tracking focus really supposed to be a weakness, either. DPAF on the RP with the potential for face and eye tracking is a killer combo! Not to mention, it has nearly 100% af point coverage.

It's burst shooting while tracking where it has the potential to struggle, compared to higher end AF systems in newer DSLRs. However, the 6D is no stunner in this regard either, with a max burst of 3-4 fps while tracking and a 11 point AF spread. I should expect that an RP would match pretty well against an original 6D for tracking moving subjects, with the expectation that more of the RP photos will be keepers due to increased AF accuracy, better composition, and better metering.

Would I recommend an RP over a 5DIV? Heck no. Would I recommend it over a 6DII? Maybe not, depending on a lot of factors. Would I recommend it over a 6D? Yep.

Jun 24, 2019 at 05:40 PM
JohnSil
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Canon for shooting people?

Bill, you say some things are too expensive but you never say how much you’re willing to spend?
You mention a 7Dmkll and kids fishing? Not sure why you’d ever need a 7ll? It’s a sports/action camera. Don’t think you’d need that much camera.
Most kid events involve a small pond and stocked fish, not exactly fast action.
I’d look at used for both the camera and the lens.
Look at used Canon 5D mk3. Or even a 1Ds3. Both should do anything you want!!
Good luck
John

Jun 24, 2019 at 05:41 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Canon for shooting people?

billsamuels wrote:
I have a long-term assignment to shoot kids fishing at several Statewide events and I have to pick a camera set-up for doing this. If budget was not an issue, I'd get a Canon 5DM4 w/ a Canon EF 24-105mm F/4L. But this is an expensive setup and probably more than I have to spend.

I would like to stick with a FF camera and in looking at refurbished, I was shocked to find that now the old 6D's ($1359) are more money than the refurbished 6DM2 ($1169). What happened?

If I want to stick with an L lens so I
...Show more

I think prices on the refurbished site can vary, seems like 6D's were $899 recently. But you really don't need FF for 4x6, imo, unless you are using really high iso or something. Like over 6400.

I've been using a T6, which is probably pretty similar to the SL1, as far as sensor and iq. Been very happy with it. If the af seems good enough you should be able to use that, I'd think.

Was using the 18-55 for kid fishing pictures of a relative week or two ago. Also used the 55-250 & 18-135 pretty happily for kids, used 18-135 indoors & out. Probably not af champions, but that's what I've used. I think STM versions supposed to be better. I'd recommend an older flash for fill, too, been using 380 EX. Any of the older EX should be fine, I'd think. I use HSS too

Jun 24, 2019 at 06:25 PM
JR137

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Canon for shooting people?

People speak poorly of the 6D’s AF and tracking. I shoot my family with it pretty much exclusively. My kids are 6 and 8, and it has no problems keeping up with them. Even my 8 year old daughter’s basketball games. Higher frame rate would be nice, but I get very, very few missed focus shots. And when I do, they’re pretty much always due to my error.

I was looking at the 6D2 due to more focus points and stuff like that. The points weren’t any more spread out across the frame than the 6D1. If they covered more ground I would’ve bought it. More points that cover the same amount of space didn’t do anything for me.

Jun 24, 2019 at 07:20 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Canon for shooting people?

JohnSil wrote:
Bill, you say some things are too expensive but you never say how much you’re willing to spend?
You mention a 7Dmkll and kids fishing? Not sure why you’d ever need a 7ll? It’s a sports/action camera. Don’t think you’d need that much camera.
Most kid events involve a small pond and stocked fish, not exactly fast action.
I’d look at used for both the camera and the lens.
Look at used Canon 5D mk3. Or even a 1Ds3. Both should do anything you want!!
Good luck
John

This. You're not exactly shooting the Olympics here. Assuming its during the day, I can't imagine a DSLR or mirrorless made in the last 15 years that wouldn't handle it just fine for web and 4x6 print. Your phone could do the job assuming you were close enough.

Jun 24, 2019 at 07:43 PM
bkpix

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Canon for shooting people?

The old 6D is an excellent choice. You can pick a used one up from KEH for $700. It's my go-to camera for dynamic portraits; the image quality is amazing, it's quiet and unobtrusive, and the autofocus is plenty fast for even animated people.

Frankly, though, for 4x6 prints and web display, I'd get an original 5D ($278 at KEH) along with a 28mm f/1.8 (also $278) and an 85 f/1.8 ($238).

Jun 24, 2019 at 07:45 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Canon for shooting people?

Best Canon for shooting people?

If I were in this market, I'd probably buy the compressed air variant over the spring-loaded type, but be sure to buy Cannon and not Canon.

Also, don't skimp on the net!

Jun 24, 2019 at 07:50 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Canon for shooting people?

JR137 wrote:
People speak poorly of the 6D’s AF and tracking. I shoot my family with it pretty much exclusively. My kids are 6 and 8, and it has no problems keeping up with them. Even my 8 year old daughter’s basketball games. Higher frame rate would be nice, but I get very, very few missed focus shots. And when I do, they’re pretty much always due to my error.

I was looking at the 6D2 due to more focus points and stuff like that. The points weren’t any more spread out across the frame than the 6D1. If they covered more ground
...Show more

I think I've been the most critical voice on here about the 6D in relation to this. I feel you in some ways, as I also use my 6D exclusively for my family and it does produce beautiful shots. But, I do very much feel limited by the amount of AF points.

They just don't seem to be where I need them, which leads to more recomposing after focusing or to shooting wider than I'd like and then cropping. Recompose doesn't work at all for moving kids and I have a very hard time keeping a face on the single AF point when a kid is running (or on a swing, etc). Some AF point expansion or just better located AF points would be much appreciated: ala the 6D II.

To be fair, there is nothing broken about the AF system of the 6D. It surely does what it was designed to do very well. It locks focus quickly and accurately, and does a fair enough job maintaining focus if you can keep the dot on your subject.

If I had never used a 7D, or if the 6D II or RP didn't exist, then there would be nothing to compare it to. But, the 6D II and RP do exist, and the AF (particularly live-view AF) make them supremely better suited to shooting kids and people, in general.

Jun 24, 2019 at 08:47 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Canon for shooting people?

The #1 thing for this might be a wide angle lens. If you want me to explain that, let me know.

And like I mentioned above, I think a flash is probably a good idea. HSS is nice, for teles and mid-day fill. It's probably going to look better than a higher DR body and picking up the shadows in the eyes. And some flashes are ridiculously inexpensive

Jun 24, 2019 at 09:43 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best Canon for shooting people?

billsamuels wrote:

If I want to stick with an L lens so I
...Show more

The M50 is an APS C mirrorless that focuses as quickly as the RP, and then you can add any EF or EFS lens to this with a Fotodiox EF to EFM adapter. It focuses very well, no AFMA needed, and can shoot at 10fps in one-shot mode. If you like the SL1, you will love the M50.

Jun 24, 2019 at 09:50 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best Canon for shooting people?

JR137 wrote:
Who’s selling 6Ds? I bought my 6D new from Adorama in January for $999. My cousin was looking for one shortly after but we couldn’t find any from any usual suspect authorized dealers. I wouldn’t pay $1359 for a new one unless it came with a 24-105L, was new, and an authorized dealer.

Since you’re considering 6D level stuff, have you considered the RP? Seems like a mirrorless 6D, specs-wise. I contemplated one and would’ve bought one if it weren’t for the inferior battery life.

Edit: I just saw fast focusing in your post. Not sure if mirrorless is the right choice.
...Show more

Canon's own website is selling these 6D's for $1350.

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:31 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best Canon for shooting people?

Access wrote:
High price doesn't mean the camera is selling at that price, it could be the reverse -- those are the only prices you still see as the camera has not sold at that price.

Not enough information is given, the best thing to do is scout out the sites and see where you will be vs. where your subjects will be. For instance you may want a 70-200mm if you can't get close.

Also it goes without saying but I would get a model release from the parents just so they know what they are getting into, not everyone likes to
...Show more

We get a release from every parent or they get a tag that says they can't be photographed. We have a staff of lawyers that dealt with this a while ago so that's not a problem.

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:34 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best Canon for shooting people?

billsamuels wrote:
The photos will be printed to 4x6 and they will be used in public government websites for publicity.

Thanks.
Bill

Then there is no reason to go full frame.

Just pick up a 70D or 80D, or a 7DII if funds will stretch, with one or two of the excellent EF-S STM lenses and you are set.

I can't see why you would want to over-complicate this

Edited on Jun 25, 2019 at 12:37 AM · View previous versions

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:36 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best Canon for shooting people?

AmbientMike wrote:
The #1 thing for this might be a wide angle lens. If you want me to explain that, let me know.

And like I mentioned above, I think a flash is probably a good idea. HSS is nice, for teles and mid-day fill. It's probably going to look better than a higher DR body and picking up the shadows in the eyes. And some flashes are ridiculously inexpensive

I use a separate flash, but I never thought about the onboard flash if it has one. I use the flash because some of my morning events are still dark like in October.

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:37 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best Canon for shooting people?

TeamSpeed wrote:
Thanks - I'm going to check into this.

The M50 is an APS C mirrorless that focuses as quickly as the RP, and then you can add any EF or EFS lens to this with a Fotodiox EF to EFM adapter. It focuses very well, no AFMA needed, and can shoot at 10fps in one-shot mode. If you like the SL1, you will love the M50.

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:38 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best Canon for shooting people?

dhphoto wrote:
Then there is no reason to go full frame.

Just pick up a 70D or 80D, or a 7DII if funds will stretch, with one or two of the excellent EF-S STM lenses and you are set.

I can't see why you would want to over-complicate this

Our photo department uses FF cameras and they were shooting these events until recently. A bunch of offices use the photos for different purposes so they have to be capable of using them for different purposes on a professional level. So I've been told FF, but I agree that a good APS-C with a good lens should do the job. However, I have a few EF-S lenses and most have areas either along certain f stops or at certain mm's that the quality deteriorates. With an "L" you don't really see this.

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:44 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.