New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Around Table Mountain

visualpauses
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Around Table Mountain

I was hooked by the multiple layers of landscape which seemed to intersect over the road at a distance. There was a bit of strong shadow also owing to the time of the day.
I tried to make it not crunchy. Also attaching the SOOC, warts and all..

Cape Town near Table Mountain - Critique

SOOC:

Cape Town near Table Mountain - SOOC

EXIF: 1/250 sec at f/14 55 mm 0 EV ISO 250 Aperture priority Evaluative metering, on FF

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:51 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Around Table Mountain

Looks like a very nice place! Too bad the drive on the wrong side of the road
The picture is well taken and the exposure looks fine. One thing I noticed is the signs poles are leaning to the right. You may need to level the image. I would have cropped just above the mountain giving the clouds a bit more contrast to create more interest.

For a viewer that hasn't been there the image doesn't look so interesting. There isn't any focal point that brings to the viewer's mind "nature" and the car in the foreground don't help.

Actually I believe they are a distracting element as they seems to be the only part of the image where the viewer's eyes are directed. I am sure it has more meaning to you than the viewers and that is only thing that counts.
Socrate

Jun 24, 2019 at 02:51 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Around Table Mountain

I also do not see the "multiple layers of landscape". The road and cars seem to be the subject of the photo.

Jun 24, 2019 at 03:20 PM
visualpauses
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Around Table Mountain

Thank you for the feedback, Jim and Socrate!

I think this image will work better when presented alongside other images for context. For me, this image was a blend of "30% travel" and "70% nature" - something that acts like a teaser for the actual experience of being there.

Thanks for catching the leveling problem, Socrate, and also for the edit. The curious thing about the level, is that making the pole vertical makes the car go off level When I looked closer at the left side of the road, I realized that there's an incline, so that would mean the poles were probably at an incline as well.

I'm going to try out a version based on your suggestion of including more of the clouds, and that will also reduce the size of the cars. So that would help in keeping the distracting element down.

This is the image with the poles upright

Cape Town near Table Mountain - Critique - V2

Jun 25, 2019 at 08:34 AM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Around Table Mountain

I see this as a memory photo with the viewers eyes being drawn to the vehicles. How about removing the vehicles?

Edited on Aug 15, 2021 at 10:44 PM · View previous versions

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:41 PM
visualpauses
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Around Table Mountain

grandmas wrote:
I see this as a memory photo with the viewers eyes being drawn to the vehicles. How about removing the vehicles?

You are right, grandmas, it does look much better without the vehicles Thank you for that edit

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:55 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.