New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Super-tele Lens Hood Knob- how to protect

MatthewK
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Super-tele Lens Hood Knob- how to protect

Silly question, but looking to see if anyone has any easy way/idea to cover or protect the knob on the super tele lens hoods? Every one that I’ve bought used, they always have chips in the paint. Really minor annoyance, but might as well figure out a way to keep them fresh.

A while back, I thought i had read a simple trick and thought “I’m going to do that when I get one of those!”, and now I just can’t remember what it was.

Jun 23, 2019 at 03:45 PM
rolsen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Super-tele Lens Hood Knob- how to protect

Shrink Tube of proper size should do the trick, must be carefull with the heating though.

Jun 23, 2019 at 08:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Super-tele Lens Hood Knob- how to protect

Gaffer's tape.

Jun 24, 2019 at 07:04 AM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Super-tele Lens Hood Knob- how to protect

Have you considered using a bolt with the appropriate thread as your "knob" while keeping your original in pristine condition sitting on a shelf?

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:15 PM
stevo67

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Super-tele Lens Hood Knob- how to protect

How about a blanking grommet over the top of the knob.

Jun 29, 2019 at 03:33 PM
MatthewK
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Super-tele Lens Hood Knob- how to protect

Time to make a trip to Home Depot and see what bits and bobs I come across. The idea of a blanking grommet looks promising. Shrink tubing would be good too, might see if I have any left over in my stereo install kit in the garage. Gaffers tape = cheap and repeatable. All good ideas, thank you.

Edit: went with the tape route, though in this case electrical tape. Cut a dime-sized circle for the flat end of the knob, and then a strip wrapped twice around and trimmed to size. Cheap and easy.

Jun 29, 2019 at 07:13 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Super-tele Lens Hood Knob- how to protect

MatthewK wrote:
Time to make a trip to Home Depot and see what bits and bobs I come across. The idea of a blanking grommet looks promising. Shrink tubing would be good too, might see if I have any left over in my stereo install kit in the garage. Gaffers tape = cheap and repeatable. All good ideas, thank you.

Edit: went with the tape route, though in this case electrical tape. Cut a dime-sized circle for the flat end of the knob, and then a strip wrapped twice around and trimmed to size. Cheap and easy.

Change to the gaffer tape when you can. Electrical tape left on a surface will leave LOTS of residue when you peel it off and it is not always easy to remove.

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:01 AM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Super-tele Lens Hood Knob- how to protect

mikeinctown wrote:
Change to the gaffer tape when you can. Electrical tape left on a surface will leave LOTS of residue when you peel it off and it is not always easy to remove.

There's a product called "Goo Gone" that does an excellent job of removing a wide variety of adhesives. We use in in the jewelry store for getting rid of the residual glue left by item tags.

Jul 01, 2019 at 05:54 AM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Super-tele Lens Hood Knob- how to protect

MatthewK wrote:

I use clear shrink wrap from Frys. Quick and easy to apply and re-apply when needed. I periodically cut it off and clean under it when it looks like dirt is starting to accumulate.

Jul 01, 2019 at 12:10 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.