FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Mark Price
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

1. Sigma 50 1.4 (non-ART). I love the way it handles backlighting. Get it dialed in and it's fantastic.
2. Sigma 30 1.4 ART (DX). It turns a D5300 into a point-and-shoot on steroids.
3. Tamron 90 f/2.8. Simply a great lens...and I prefer the older versions.

May 27, 2020 at 11:17 PM
The Hulk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

1. Pentax 77 Limited
2. Pentax 31 Limited
3. Pentax 77 Limited

Jun 01, 2020 at 10:26 AM
Humble_Glory

p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

1. Noct Nikkor 58mm f1.2
2. Hexanon UC 35mm f2
3. Contax Distagon 28mm f2 MMG/ Nikkor 28mm f1.4D

Jun 01, 2020 at 10:07 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Humble_Glory wrote:
1. Noct Nikkor 58mm f1.2
2. Hexanon UC 35mm f2
3. Contax Distagon 28mm f2 MMG/ Nikkor 28mm f1.4D

Could you post some Hexanon 35 photos? This is a lens I don’t see or hear much about. What makes is so special to you?

Jun 02, 2020 at 09:30 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Impressive 35mm lens: VM 35/17, ZM 35/1.4, and Sigma 35/2 DG DN
For vintage zoom: Leica 35-70 F4, Minolta Macro 35-70 F3.5, Contax 35-70 F3.4
For vintage 38mm lens: Pentax 28/3.5, Contax 28/2.8 MMJ, and Leica R 28/2.8 V2 E55

Sep 21, 2022 at 03:36 PM
fededuran
• •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

My top lenses today:

-Ricoh GR3X (40mm equivalent): my perfect bnw camera. Great sharpness, contrast and high iso performance in a very small package.

-Fujinon GF 45mm (35mm equivalent): better than the former in every aspect, but bulkier.

-Voigtlander 75mm 1.5 (m mount): almost as sweet as the 85mm GM by sony, but smaller and better in the center wide open.

Sep 21, 2022 at 05:27 PM
Geoff CB
• • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Very difficult to narrow it down to 3, all time or current is difficult to pick between the two!

1) Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 vIII. Current favorite grab and use anywhere lens. Extremely small lens, sharp, fantastic separation, great skin tone rendering in combination with my SL2-s.
2) Leica 24-90: If I can only bring one lens to an event this is the one I reach for. Great rendering, sharp, actually a 22 mm on the wide end when you remove distortion correction. The best IBIS I've ever used in a lens, close focus good enough to use with product work. It's simply a lens that does not break, and gets me any image I need.
3) Nikon 105mm 2.5 Pre-AI: Flawless portrait lens. Probably my favorite lens design of all time.

Sep 22, 2022 at 10:57 AM
Jaree
• • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Zeiss ZM Distagon 35mm F1.4
Leica SL APO Summicron 90mm
Hasselblad XCD 80 F1.9

Sep 22, 2022 at 07:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

humbleglory

p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Could you post some Hexanon 35 photos? This is a lens I don’t see or hear much about. What makes is so special to you?

Sorry for the super late reply. I used this lens mainly when travelling with family so have very few 'public' photos taken with this lens, one of which is shared below. I like this lens as it is small and light weight, buttery smooth manual focus, and the images produced have nice colour and bokeh. However, it gets less used since I get GFX as it doesn't cover the sensor well (either 1:1 ratio or in 35mm mode). Interestingly, I use Contax/Nikkor 28mm more on GFX.

Sep 22, 2022 at 09:03 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Nikon 58mm f1.4
Nikon 200m f2
Zeiss 135mm f2 APO Sonar

Sep 22, 2022 at 10:59 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

humbleglory wrote:
Sorry for the super late reply. I used this lens mainly when travelling with family so have very few 'public' photos taken with this lens, one of which is shared below. I like this lens as it is small and light weight, buttery smooth manual focus, and the images produced have nice colour and bokeh. However, it gets less used since I get GFX as it doesn't cover the sensor well (either 1:1 ratio or in 35mm mode). Interestingly, I use Contax/Nikkor 28mm more on GFX.

https://live.staticflickr.com/1852/29321312557_2eac8f32df_h.jpg

That looks delicious!

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:32 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

If they were for all time it means I'd keep them forever but I haven't because I get bored and change things easily. But hindsight is a great thing so in hindsight here's some of the best ever lenses:

1. Zeiss Planar 80/2.8. The one attached to the Rollei 2.8FX.
2. Nikon 58/1.4 G
3. VM 35/1.4 II. My most used lens currently.

Sep 23, 2022 at 02:28 AM
humbleglory

p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Desmolicious wrote:
That looks delicious!

Indeed, a must try beer when you visit Singapore

Sep 23, 2022 at 03:24 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

It is very hard to choose three, but I'd say:

Canon 50/1.4 LTM
Canon 35/1.8 LTM
Nikkor 105/2.5 LTM

The 50/1.4 has a lot of qualities I like, sharp but not too sharp, beautiful ring flares, nice bokeh, and an almost modern look. Here are a couple of recent shots from a trip in Brittany:

Family by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

Pointe de Merquel, Mesquer, Bretagne by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

The 35/1.8 is full of flaws: vignetting, busy bokeh, etc., but I love its rendering. It's very sharp stopped down.

Family by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

Kemper (Quimper) by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

Parc de la Rivière Mitis by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

Marché Bonsecours by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

The Nikkor 105/2.5 in all its many iterations is a fantastic portrait lens with Sonnar design. The one I have is an early model from the 1950s.

Party Hubert 57 by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

Claire in the autumn woods by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

At the harp by Brad Hurley, on Flickr

Sep 23, 2022 at 04:37 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

I use three systems, so, choosing three, total, is difficult, indeed. In simple chronological order, of acquisition:

First, I will nominate the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, with the IS meaning Image Stabilization. By accident of availability, I started DSLR shooting with a pre-owned bag of rather modest Canon kit, except that there was a quite nice Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens, in that bag. The desire to upgrade to a 100mm Macro lens that had some about of dust/weather-sealing, and maintained its length when focusing, led to the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, acquired in November 2010, which I first used on a 40D, then a succession of several more 7D-series and 5D-series cameras. This was such an important lens that I bought a spare, when the price dropped (temporarily) by several hundred dollars. I have used these macro lenses for evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography, until I retired in 2018, and have also used them for serious flower/insect/nature photography, and just general shooting.

Next, I will nominate a Nikon “pro” zoom lens, the Nikkor AF-S 24-70/2.8G ED. My wife being an avid user of Nikon DSLRs, it made sense to start using some Nikon lenses, with an good adapter, on my Canon cameras. As we acquired more Nikon lenses, it made sense for me to add a pre-owned D700, which enabled me to use AF-S lenses. I love the ergonomics and performance of this lens, and the range is just so very useful. For its practicality and utility, this one just rises to the top. When a flood ruined my first one, I replaced it, quickly.

It is difficult to remember exactly what made me fixate upon a Leica Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, as a grail-quest lens, that I just had to try, to see if I could make images with it, like those found on various websites. Probably, it was a search for reviews of either the Canon 7D, or the Nikon D3s, that led me to Steve Huff’s website. He is, of course, known for having been a frequent reviewer of Leica cameras and lenses. My grail-quest was actually quite low-intensity, for a number of years, as I did not thing that I could afford a Leica camera and lens, but, eventually, the idea of acquiring a pre-owned Summilux, and using with an adapter, on an Fuji camera, or other mirror-deprived camera, resulted in my trying a pre-owned Summilux, at a Leica dealer, on pre-owned and demo M9 and M Type 240 cameras. I decided to buy the lens, before I knew which camera would be paired with it.

I told the store employee to set the Summilux aside, for me to purchase, and she logged into the store’s computer, to remove it from being shown as available, on the store’s website. I was then told that a new M10 might be available, in the stock room. This was April 2018, when it was just becoming possible to buy a new M10, without having to first be on a waiting list. I had been planning to spend a considerable sum of money, to buy a Nikkor “super telephoto” lens, for very serious bird photography, a post-retirement self-gift, but, I was still rehabilitating a left shoulder injury, so, would not be hand-holding any long, heavy lenses, anytime soon. Scuttling the plan to buy the top-tier telephoto enabled me to buy the pre-owned Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, the new M10, and, also, a Zeiss Otus 85mm lens, to use on our Nikon DSLRs.

The Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS established Canon as my first DSLR system, and Canon remains my most important macro/close-range system. I have more-premium Canon lenses, some with those distinctive white exteriors, but the 100mm Macro L is special.

The Nikkor 24-70/2.8G ED is what I used on a very memorable road trip, and then to shoot at my son’s wedding. Memories captured, is what makes this one special.

The Summilux-M 50mm ASPH is the lens that “Summilux’ed” me into adding the Leica M system, which had the bonus effect of putting the brakes on the escalation of adding ever-longer/faster lenses for chasing birds. My left shoulder has healed, but I no longer have any desire to own a 600mm f/4 or 400mm f/2.8 monster. The wonderful images of people, that I am able to capture, with this lens, makes it so very special

Sep 23, 2022 at 11:04 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password