FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Amblyteles armatorius Male

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Amblyteles armatorius Male

These are around each year in late spring/early summer. They are quite recognisable by their colour pattern, their low, slow flight, and their readiness to crawl down grass and other herb layer vegetation, heading towards the ground. The females do this to seek out their hosts, which are noctuid moth pupae, but why the males do it is unclear.

The male has the yellow tip on its tail and a broad black band between the two yellow bands on the abdomen. Getting a shot of them at all is very difficult. The second image shows one of the better ones of a typical view.

These wasps fly at the least movement close to them. The first image was from a rare opportunity of a close shot of one keeping still. The cost was 3 spines of a huge thistly plat resting against the side of my face while it took the shot.

The more distant images, and stereo, where when it landed on some low plants. I decided a distant view was better than none.

These images are from two long sessions, following the wasp around.

The stereo is crosseye.

Olympus EM-1 (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 x2 TC, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, f11, f8 & f9 at ISO 800, hand-held.

Harold

Harold Gough 2019

Harold Gough 2019

Harold Gough 2019

Edited on Jun 22, 2019 at 03:13 AM · View previous versions

Jun 21, 2019 at 11:53 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Amblyteles armatorius Male

Good ones Harold- been trying to get a shot of one of these for about the last month or so but failed so far.

Brian v.

Jun 22, 2019 at 12:08 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Amblyteles armatorius Male

LordV wrote:
Good ones Harold- been trying to get a shot of one of these for about the last month or so but failed so far.

Brian v.

I sympathise. I have spent many hours in recent years. The first and third took about half an hour of following it around. The good news is that they tend not to fly very far and hang around for at least days.

My Golden Longhorn is resident in the same area of the garden.

The Rose Chafers have not turned up this year but I saw a Garden Chafer yesterday.

Harold

Jun 22, 2019 at 12:27 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password