Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2019 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

SouthernSnaps
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

Its 90-95 percent Canon or Canon mount equipment. Is the migration to RF beginning or is it mostly people totally jumping ship. Its defiantly a buyers market for Canon shooters. I was browsing it and was like WOW!

Jun 21, 2019 at 04:34 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

Or could be folks in their normal seasonal upgrade cycle. I tend to do most of my buying and selling during Spring and early summer. I tried to sell off my old mirrorless gear—sticking with DSLRs—and it was tough as nobody seems to want a Pen or old M series. The lenses went pretty fast tho'

Jun 21, 2019 at 04:38 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

Canon has decades of EOS gear behind it. Mirrorless brands, not so much.

Jun 21, 2019 at 04:44 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

I've noticed it too. Surprisingly a lot of L primes. I see a boatload of the 135L, in particular. I've been casually browsing the buy/sell forums for months looking at that lens and I've seen more in the last few weeks than I've ever seen before.

Jun 21, 2019 at 04:47 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

FWIW, I just did a quick tally of the gear for sale at the top of the buy/sell forum, by brand of camera or mount in the case of lenses or flashes:

Hasselblad - 1
Sony - 7
Canon - 6
m4/3 - 1
Nikon - 3
Leica - 1
Fuji - 2

Jun 21, 2019 at 04:49 PM
JohnSil
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

SouthernSnaps wrote:
Its 90-95 percent Canon or Canon mount equipment. Is the migration to RF beginning or is it mostly people totally jumping ship. Its defiantly a buyers market for Canon shooters. I was browsing it and was like WOW!

It’s your imagination!
But good try in politicizing your perceived feelings!!! LoL
When I went digital in 08(yes, I’m a digital newcomer), I went with Canon, mainly for 3 reasons. 1, the AF worked. 2, Canon had IS/VR on ALL the big lenses, and 3, they had the FASTEST lenses, should have a need for speed.
BUT, though not a technical reason, it was a VERY welcome side effect that since an overwhelming MAJORITY of photographers used Canon, sites like eBay and Craig’s List are always loaded with good deals on used Canon gear, both lenses and bodies.
I check the BS here every day and mostly see lots of Mkl types of lenses and bodies for sale. Most of it is a generation back. Not a whole lot of current stuff.
Keep in mind that the average photography website is populated with retirees, they more than anyone else are trying to lighten their loads.
My last professional assignment was the Tour of California bike race last month. I saw almost NO mirrorless there, just the same old army of big white lenses, an occasional black one and one awkward off white Sony offering!!!
So no, I have not seen the ML revolution yet, not in the pro ranks anyway!
John

Jun 21, 2019 at 05:03 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

It sure was like wow!?

Jun 21, 2019 at 05:08 PM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

SouthernSnaps wrote:

I always have to remember whether or not I have a filter on for Buy/Sell!

Here's my quick count of lenses/bodies from the first page just now (just counting what's listed in the main title):
Canon - 19
Nikon - 14
Sony - 13
Fuji - 6
Sigma - 6
Zeiss - 5
Leica - 5
plus others less than 5 - Vogt, Panasonic, Tamron, Olympus, Hassie, Vivitar, etc.

Jun 21, 2019 at 05:10 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

I always wish there were more . Was trying to buy a sigma 14/1.8 EF mount a month ago and no one was selling!

Jun 21, 2019 at 06:52 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

Canon always dominates the B&S as there are just so many lenses out there and Canon had a very dominant market share over the others for a long time (still do but shrinking). Seems that from the couple of counts posted above that actually Canon gear isn't really dominating anyways.

The best thing about shooting Canon is the deals you can get on used glass. The downside is if you buy new, you take a bigger hit on resale.

Jun 21, 2019 at 07:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

"defiantly?"

Jun 21, 2019 at 08:21 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

Quick, sell your Canon stuff before the bottom drops out of the market.

ps--I love buying used equipment from people fleeing Canon.

Mark

Jun 21, 2019 at 08:56 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

The manufacturer with the largest marketshare will invariably show more used gear for sale at any given time.

Jun 21, 2019 at 09:00 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

I believe this a good example of confirmation bias

I actually have been noticing more Sony and Fuji stuff lately

SouthernSnaps wrote:

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:22 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

Perhaps it's why the Canon forum here is so quiet... All the measurebators have exited the system and those who bought the gear are too busy shooting with their new acquisitions.

Jun 21, 2019 at 11:21 PM
SouthernSnaps
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

Wow... im a dumbass.. Did not realize I had hit the Canon filter on buy and sell. Guess its been on a few days. Woops.

Jun 21, 2019 at 11:33 PM
tiggy
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

I've noticed the same. Assumed it was due to shear marketshare of Canonites.

It has been a thorn in my side, though, as I recently purchased a Sony A9, and I've been looking for the sort of used lens deals I'm accustomed to finding for my Canon bodies, but the Sony demand/supply situation is such that instead of getting 30-40 percent off, I just see 10 percent off for used.

Interestingly, I'm now running three camera systems: Canon, Panasonic (S1R) and the Sony A9. All are primarily using my Canon glass, and it works pretty darned well with the Sigma adapters. The Panasonic doesn't yet do AF-C, though. There's never been a time when someone could run three systems with one library of glass. Cool times.

Jun 21, 2019 at 11:39 PM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

Along a similar vein, I was going to post the other day asking if folks noticed lens prices going up over the past few years. I was looking for a optically clean but cheap 400mm f5.6 and remembered say five years ago they went for as low as $600-700 here in Toronto. Now, every Kijiji post is like $1000 or more.

I'm thinking it has to be one or two things. I remember Canon Canada increasing prices due to the exchange rate a few years ago. Maybe this increased the used market too: if you had to pay more for a new 400mm, then presumably all the used sellers raised their prices too. The other is that a dwindling number of SLR photographers represent a smaller and smaller market?

Jun 22, 2019 at 07:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

SouthernSnaps wrote:
Wow... im a dumbass.. Did not realize I had hit the Canon filter on buy and sell. Guess its been on a few days. Woops.

Damn. That's funny. I do stuff like that, too.

Jun 22, 2019 at 07:58 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Has any one noticed the amount of Canon gear on the BUY/Sell Forum

SouthernSnaps wrote:

This post should be pinned to the top of every "discussion" citing "evidence" of a failing brand. .

Jun 22, 2019 at 09:32 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.