Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

I know this is a bit off topic for this forum but I'm hoping somebody can help.

I have the latest versions of LR Classic and Photoshop. I notice that when I take a photo in LR, right click and choose 'edit in photoshop', I no longer get the dialog box to say, edit copy, edit original, etc. The dialog box doesn't appear and the image goes straight to photoshop. Then when I save the shop in photoshop and return to LR, the image doesn't appear in LR. I notice that the file transferred to photoshop is the raw file and the file saved is a tiff which makes sense as to why the new image doesn't appear in my LR catalog.

But why don't I get the editing choices in LR when I select edit in photoshop.

View previous versions

Jun 20, 2019 at 07:56 PM
fuzzykeys
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

When you choose open in Photoshop, you are essentially opening a rasterized version of your LR edit, which you can then save as a TIFF, PSD, etc. If you choose open as a Smart Object in Photoshop, you get a Camera Raw Smart Object. If you double click on the Smart Object, you can then modify your Lightroom edit in raw as all of the parameters that you modified in LR will be transferred over as Camera Raw settings. This does not affect the your original LR edit in your catalog. You still have to save your Photoshop edit as a TIFF or PSD, and that edited version should show up in your LR catalog as a new shot. If it doesn’t show up, try right clicking the tab at the top of Photoshop that shows the file name and then reveal it in the finder. Drag that into LR and choose add without copying.

Jun 20, 2019 at 08:14 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

If the file is the raw file, I never get the options. It transfers the raw to Photoshop. However if it is a TIFF or JPEG, you get the options. Not sure why, but I recall it always working that way. My guess I’d the raw file , is the original and there would be no other copies for you to choose from .

The file should save back to Lightroom . How are you saving the files? If you are using “save as” make sure the location is the correct file location.

Birdie

Jun 20, 2019 at 08:17 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

That's wild. I've always shot in raw (fyi - not raw + jpeg) and I have always first seen the dialog box (for years now):

Edit original
Edit a copy with LR adjustments
Edit a copy without LR adjustments

As for saving from photoshop in my current workflow, I just save (not save as). But the saved file is now a tiff.

Jun 20, 2019 at 08:25 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

Yes I used to see the dialogue as well and now I don’t. It’s always saved the copy as a tiff and when I close PS after saving it’s in LR.

Jun 20, 2019 at 08:38 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

RoamingScott wrote:
Yes I used to see the dialogue as well and now I don’t. It’s always saved the copy as a tiff and when I close PS after saving it’s in LR.

When you save now (without first seeing the dialog box) does the image show up in LR? The saved tiff file doesn't show up in LR for me.

Jun 20, 2019 at 08:39 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

Yep, automatically after hitting save in PS.

rji2goleez wrote:
When you save now (without first seeing the dialog box) does the image show up in LR? The saved tiff file doesn't show up in LR for me.

Jun 20, 2019 at 08:51 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

OK, here's what's happening but I don't know how to fix it.

The photoshop tiff does in fact show up in my LR catalog. However, it 'sees' the file on a drive by the same name and file structure. I've confirmed that the images in 'each' Thunderbay file in LR points to the same drive and folder but somehow it's duplicated in LR.

Jun 20, 2019 at 09:11 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

In the LR left pane, there are two drives named Thunderbay. The second has all my photoshop saved files. However both point to the same location in Finder.

Also, I cannot copy the seven images in the second 'version' of the Thunderbay drive to the first. It tells me the files are already in that directory.

Jun 20, 2019 at 09:13 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

One more piece of the puzzle. Storing in a 'second version of the same drive' only happens with this one drive on my system. All others work as they should.

Jun 20, 2019 at 09:44 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

I ended up moving my entire library to a new folder moving the folders from within Lightroom. Now I only have one iteration of the drive. I believe it was the RAID signature of the volume that got Lightroom confused. That's the only thing I can think of. For now, I think I can rest a bit easier.

Jun 21, 2019 at 05:17 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

I've been seeing some similar odd behavior with multiple entries showing up in the LR sidebar for one hard drive. Decided to run the Creative Cloud app to check for updates and found this new update that fixes "export and publish issues". Trying it now.

Jun 21, 2019 at 07:36 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

Thanks Mike. I did that update but it didn't change my situation. Hope it helps you!

Jun 21, 2019 at 07:38 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

rji2goleez wrote:
I did that update but it didn't change my situation.

Ah, too bad.

Jun 21, 2019 at 07:42 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

Try showing the parent of each thunderbay entry in Lr. Maybe they're being seen separately because they were connected to different computers at some stage.

Some folder/drive problems sort themselves out when the folder structure is expanded sufficiently to include a common parent.

Jul 03, 2019 at 11:14 AM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

rji2goleez wrote:

@RoamingScott, that is exactly what I see as well. When sending the adjusted raw file to PS, I get no options. PS creates a tiff, when I save that file it show up stacked with the original raw in LRClassic. If I then decide to edit the tiff in PS, I get three options for how it opens in PS.

Jul 03, 2019 at 11:31 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

rji2goleez wrote:
I know this is a bit off topic for this forum but I'm hoping somebody can help.

I have the latest versions of LR Classic and Photoshop. I notice that when I take a photo in LR, right click and choose 'edit in photoshop', I no longer get the dialog box to say, edit copy, edit original, etc. The dialog box doesn't appear and the image goes straight to photoshop. Then when I save the shop in photoshop and return to LR, the image doesn't appear in LR. I notice that the file transferred to photoshop is the raw file and
...Show more

Maybe you are mistaken with the options provided when you tried to edit a Tiff in LR. Those options doesn't make sense cause LR never created a duplicate RAW for me (so makes no sense with edit copy). Any RAW change you made in lightroom will show in PS.

Jul 03, 2019 at 11:42 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

dallvr wrote:
@RoamingScott@, that is exactly what I see as well. When sending the adjusted raw file to PS, I get no options. PS creates a tiff, when I save that file it show up stacked with the original raw in LRClassic. If I then decide to edit the tiff in PS, I get three options for how it opens in PS.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with improved native RAW support in PS. Perhaps back in older versions, PS couldn't directly open ARW files. If you notice, after you import it, if you look in the title bar of photoshop, it has the file name and the ARW file extension, meaning it's natively rendering the file in PS instead of REQUIRING a Tiff be created from the get-go. Just a theory. Adobe has been updating Camera Raw and PS CC at a blistering pace over the last year.

Regardless, it has not affected my LR > PS > back to LR workflow in the slightest so I just stopped caring

Jul 03, 2019 at 11:54 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Issue: Lightroom - two versions of same drive.

Here's an extension of my previous reply:

Based on my experience with thunderbolt on a Windows PC, Adobe Lr and Ps get confused when they see a thunderbolt device or don't see it; they both treat a PC without a thunderbolt device as being a different computer from the same PC with a thunderbolt device. They see these two "different" computers as being the two for which my Adobe s/w is licenced, and then they insist that my notebook pc is a third computer and will not run on it - until I deregister one of my "two" PCs and register the notebook. This stuff-up occurs when I add a tb device and when I remove it.

Perhaps a mac with two thunderbolt controllers is seen as different computers depending on which controller the thunderbay is connected. I have only one tb controller and I cannot test this theory, but it could explain why your thunderbay drive appears twice - the software thinks they belong to different computers.

Good luck trying to get Adobe to fix this -they obviously do not test a computer with and without thunderbolt drives connected and their support people can't see what I'm talking about.

Instead of just showing specific folders of the thunderbay drive(s) in the folder hierarchy, show the parent folders too, right up to the root folder. With any luck, Lr will see a common link and treat the two drives as one.

Jul 03, 2019 at 04:15 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.