New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Natural history - Shikra with Jacana kill

visualpauses
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Natural history - Shikra with Jacana kill

The good part was we got to witness this. The bad part, was the clutter in the background.
I tried many things, but I think there's nothing I can do to make this image presentable. I thought I'd get a final opinion from the group here in case I've missed any creative options. I did try Monochrome, high key, low key, that didn't help.

When shooting (it was taken at 1 PM) I exposed to the right as part of the raptor was in the shade.
I've processed it in PS.

This was the SOOC

This is the processed version

1/1600 sec at f/8.0 560 mm +1 EV ISO 1600 Manual mode Evaluative metering
5D4 + 100-4002 + 1.4xv3

This is a different shot, of the same scene:

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:47 PM
grandmas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Natural history - Shikra with Jacana kill

Not sure if you are interested in something like this or not? It has been my experience that prints do not look good when the subject blends into the background.

Added another example with less vignette

Edited on Aug 15, 2021 at 10:46 PM · View previous versions

Jun 20, 2019 at 02:40 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Natural history - Shikra with Jacana kill

Wildlife at its best. The heavy crops look good and they seem to hold up. The only problem I see is the fact that you had to shoot at such high angle and that can get messy because those angles don't create separation of your subject. Nothing you can do about it.

They are definitely keepers. I like the eye contact in the first image (I would have positioned the subject on the right side of the frame, but that is just me)

The second image shows less the high angle but on my monitor the subject looks a bit soft.
Good job. You captured some great moments and just that makes your images "presentable"
Socrate

Jun 20, 2019 at 02:45 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Natural history - Shikra with Jacana kill

Yes keeper.
+++ eye contact.
I like grandmas version best.I think the vignette/spotlighting, while strong, isolates the subject enough.
Scott

Jun 20, 2019 at 03:00 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Natural history - Shikra with Jacana kill

I think the eye contact shot is def a keeper like the rest.

I'd like to see grandma's vignette pulled back some, but I like the direction.

Jeff

Jun 20, 2019 at 05:48 PM
visualpauses
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Natural history - Shikra with Jacana kill

I was quite pleasantly overwhelmed, to see the positive reception for this set!
Personally I was disappointed by the harsh lighting and the clutter. But the above responses led me to review the whole set again.

grandmas wrote:
Not sure if you are interested in something like this or not? It has been my experience that prints do not look good when the subject blends into the background.

Added another example with less vignette

Thanks for that idea, @grandmas. A vignette will definitely help in defocusing from the clutter.. I also think my editing of the "direct stare" image was too crunchy. So I attempted a different version here..

Shikra with Jacana kill - LR PP - Critique

---------------------------------------------

Shasoc wrote:
Wildlife at its best. The heavy crops look good and they seem to hold up. The only problem I see is the fact that you had to shoot at such high angle and that can get messy because those angles don't create separation of your subject. Nothing you can do about it.

Very true.. This was taken from quite afar, and later I had a chance to move slightly closer. But None of those shots had that raw aggression in the eyes. The best one at closer range had more of a bewildered look

Shikra with Jacana kill - LR PP - Startled Stare - Critique

Shasoc wrote:
They are definitely keepers. I like the eye contact in the first image (I would have positioned the subject on the right side of the frame, but that is just me)
Good job. You captured some great moments and just that makes your images "presentable"

Thank you for the encouragement

Shasoc wrote:
The second image shows less the high angle but on my monitor the subject looks a bit soft.
Socrate

You are right, I think that image is a bit soft. After reviewing the set again, I found one more which has a tad more aggression in that angle, and looks sharper.

Shikra with Jacana kill - LR PP - Aggressive Stare With Catchlight - Critique

sbeme wrote:
Yes keeper.
+++ eye contact.
I like grandmas version best.I think the vignette/spotlighting, while strong, isolates the subject enough.
Scott

Thanks a ton, Scott, for the appreciation and the tips about the subject isolation

beavens wrote:
I think the eye contact shot is def a keeper like the rest.

I'd like to see grandma's vignette pulled back some, but I like the direction.

Jeff

Thanks very much Jeff, I've gone from scratch again on these images thanks to all the support from all of you Would love to hear your thoughts about the new set.

Finally, here's one that had a good catchlight in the eye..

Shikra with Jacana kill - LR PP - Sideways With Catchlight - Critique

Jun 22, 2019 at 07:56 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Natural history - Shikra with Jacana kill

Well done, Mahesh. Your re-edits look a lot better and have a more natural feel. It is hard to get "perfect" action shot, but it doesn't really matter because what makes the shot is the "action" I like the last one. The bird face seems to show all its proudness.
Socrate

Jun 22, 2019 at 09:16 AM
visualpauses
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Natural history - Shikra with Jacana kill

Shasoc wrote:
Well done, Mahesh. Your re-edits look a lot better and have a more natural feel. It is hard to get "perfect" action shot, but it doesn't really matter because what makes the shot is the "action" I like the last one. The bird face seems to show all its proudness.
Socrate

Thanks a lot, Socrate

Jun 22, 2019 at 11:42 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Natural history - Shikra with Jacana kill

Nice work on the reworks Mahesh! Really like that last image.

Dave

Jun 26, 2019 at 10:55 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.