FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2:1 macro lens - first snaps

slugly
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2:1 macro lens - first snaps

I placed a pre-order for the Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2:1 macro in Nikon F-mount and it arrived today, so I saddled up the Z6 with the FtZ and took it to the garden to give it a whirl.
As with other Laowa lenses it is nice and heavy and fully manual. I was curious about getting the Canon version with electronic aperture communication but the only Canon body I have now is an R and iIn any case I particularly wanted to use it with the Z6.
The aperture ring is right up near the mount and has bumps for each stop, though I did manage in knock it out without noticing immediately once or twice. The focusing ring covers a good portion of the far end and is easy to find. Throw could be a little longer for fine focusing at 2:1 with a magnified viewfinder or LCD, but at least it's fairly heavy and smooth. A nice dead stop on 2:1 magnification. There is much breathing in getting from there to infinity.
Unlike other Laowas it did not arrive in a vacuum packed bag, instead came ensconced in a soft plastic drawstring pouch, which is nice and pliable and will last all of 5 minutes. As with its little sibling, the 60mm 2:1, this lens also comes with a protective filter fitted. This essentially seals up the barrel against spiders and people who like to poke things that are shown to them.

The spider was hand-held at 2:1 wide open, while the Aechmea gamosepala flowers were shot on a tripod with a slide rail; the first at 2:1, decreasing for the others with aperture ranging between f/11 & f/16. I was too excited playing with my new lens I forgot to write anything down, but I was trying to keep it stopped down as far as the light would allow.

NZ6_1489_00002 by Slugly Bugly, on Flickr

NZ6_1561_00002 by Slugly Bugly, on Flickr

NZ6_1648_00002 by Slugly Bugly, on Flickr

NZ6_1651_00002 by Slugly Bugly, on Flickr

NZ6_1663_00002 by Slugly Bugly, on Flickr

Jun 18, 2019 at 03:35 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2:1 macro lens - first snaps

Slugly,

I was considering this version. (I have other Nikon AI mount Laowas) I can't justify it for m4/3 but maybe for full frame.

I can't say that the pouch issue would bother me. I almost never use one. My lenses go in the bag with caps and'or hoods for protection.

Lovely job on the Aechmea.

It's really helpful to see images from useful macro apertures. I couldn't care less what a macro lens does at f2.8!

Harold

Jun 18, 2019 at 05:19 AM
slugly
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2:1 macro lens - first snaps

Thank you Harold. The Aechmea have just started opening so I will certainly be back, and will take note of aperture. The spider shot was quick bit of fun on the way out, seeing what the Z6 could do between my wobbles & the dim light under the tree. I don't think she was impressed, soon went under the leaf and gnashed her fangs

Jun 18, 2019 at 06:19 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.