New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Feedback please, Bird photos

Pelai65

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Feedback please, Bird photos

Bird photos.. I would liike to get some feed back.

No 1, Ruff

No 2, Two puffins

No 3, Puffin

No 4, Red-necked phalarope

Jun 17, 2019 at 12:25 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Feedback please, Bird photos

Nice set! #3 with the puffin is by far my favorite.

I love the isolation/background and comp. I might look to bring out some more shadow detail. I feel that if you have any interest in b&w that this would also be a fine conversion candidate. The light around the face/eyes is especially nice.

1 and 2 are nice, but not as strong. 1 doesn't have the best pose, with the bird's butt facing the camera. With that being said, I think it's still a really cool shot both for the presentation/neat bird, but also because it looks like you cause this guy/gal right after they put some preening oil on their beak (gland is located at the base of the tail). You could provide squeeze a little more detail from the highlights and I'd tighten the crop slightly so there isn't as much of the OOF area included.

2 is a fun interaction. The tilted horizon is throwing me off, so perhaps put that right and make the puffins off-kilter. Similar with 3, I would try to get more detail from the shadow areas.

I like 4, but IMO is doesn't carry the interest as well as the rest.

Jun 17, 2019 at 02:25 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Feedback please, Bird photos

Very nice job. They are all fine images, clean, in focus, with sharp detail and natural colors. Interesting subjects, all well isolated. The tilted horizontal line in the second image could be a bit annoying.

One nit could be that the first two images are shot from the back (butt shots), but helps the fact that you can see their faces.

The choice of the crops is personal. I tend to avoid using square crops as they have no direction (as shown in the second and last image). That, however, as said, is just a personal taste.
Well done.
Socrate

Jun 17, 2019 at 02:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Feedback please, Bird photos

+1 @ much of Jeff & Socrate ... nice set, but faces win the day.

Jun 17, 2019 at 05:15 PM
Pelai65

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Feedback please, Bird photos

Thank you about feedback! I appreciate it

No 2 Picture is not straight! OK that is what I wonder in many cases… Pic is straith but look not! For example in this Picture, dark line is shore line of Island, which is not straight. So should I keep pic straight or tilt it so that it is straight…

No 1 I like how feathers look like in Picture... and to show of is part of leking of ruffs but I have other pics also…

And I have noticed that my pictures are often a little bit too dark… too dark mind perhaps

Jun 18, 2019 at 09:34 AM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Feedback please, Bird photos

Lovely photos, but many cropped a bit too tightly IMHO. I like my shots to be a little more environmental. I love negative space/breathing room. Nice job, though!

Jun 18, 2019 at 09:56 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Feedback please, Bird photos

Pelai65 wrote:
No 2 Picture is not straight! OK that is what I wonder in many cases… Pic is straith but look not! For example in this Picture, dark line is shore line of Island, which is not straight. So should I keep pic straight or tilt it so that it is straight…

No 1 I like how feathers look like in Picture... and to show of is part of leking of ruffs but I have other pics also…

I was wondering if that might be the case! Personally, as long as the main stars aren't negatively affected by the rotation I will almost always even out backgrounds/horizons, even if they weren't necessarily true in real life. My eyes have a hard time seeing past that, so it might just be preference.

I say do whatever feels 'right' to your eyes.

I like your other ruff shots as well! The first is great - almost like the bird is ranting. The second is interesting as well, but I would look to clone out or make that white blob to the left less prominent.

Quick rework below.

Jeff

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:06 AM
Pelai65

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Feedback please, Bird photos

Beavens ” The second is interesting as well, but I would look to clone out or make that white blob to the left less prominent.l

I did not even notice that. I have always tryed to avoid to remove anything so it I did not notice it.

In most nature photo Groups they do not allowe to remove anything. But it depends if you are making art or documentary.

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:21 AM
visualpauses
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Feedback please, Bird photos

Great set! #3 is my favorite of them all. If #3 weren't in this set, it would be a challenge to pick a favorite

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:59 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Feedback please, Bird photos

Pelai65 wrote:
Beavens ” The second is interesting as well, but I would look to clone out or make that white blob to the left less prominent.l

I did not even notice that. I have always tryed to avoid to remove anything so it I did not notice it.

In most nature photo Groups they do not allowe to remove anything. But it depends if you are making art or documentary.

Absolutely! I also prefer to keep everything as it was, but if my intent on the artistic side then I'm all about making a good image GREAT. But yeah, if you were shooting doc/journalism then I'd agree that it would be a no-no.

Where did you take these photos?

Jeff

Jun 18, 2019 at 02:07 PM
Pelai65

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Feedback please, Bird photos

I rook these pics in north Norway in Varang fjord. Best areas in Europe to se arctic birds. I had 1 week car trip in area.

HERE is more pics from my trip... https://plaitinen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Norja+2019/

Jun 18, 2019 at 10:54 PM
atkins7

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Feedback please, Bird photos

Great work. Personally, I like numbers 1 and 3 the best. I love the environmental aspects of number 1 and the movement of the puffin in number 3.

Jun 19, 2019 at 02:13 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.