New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · 5d4 intermittently stops on camera mounted flash

Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d4 intermittently stops on camera mounted flash

I will be shooting along, flash working perfectly and all of a sudden the flash will stop firing. I can turn off the camera and flash, remove batteries, change flashe to a totally different unit, and nothing. Suddenly it will start back and work fine.

I haven't tried cleaning the contacts yet on my hot shoe, I am going to try this today. Any other thoughts? Anyone else ever had this occur?

Thanks in advance for thought and comments.

Kathy

Jun 17, 2019 at 09:17 AM
hotdog12
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d4 intermittently stops on camera mounted flash

Huh. Normally I would guess the flash overheated, but you said it happens on a different flash. What model flash are you using? And, yeah, my first step would be to clean the contacts.

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:06 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d4 intermittently stops on camera mounted flash

It doesn't sound like this is the issue, but it happened to me yesterday, and it might be, so I thought I'd mention it.

My flash wouldn't work on HSS, although it fired. The camera reverted to 1/200, the highest synch on my body. Couldn't figure it out for a mimute. It turned out the flash was not completely on the hot shoe. Once I had it on all the way, it worked fine

Also, kind of an FYI, you double posted this thread. Easy to do, should still be able to delete the 2nd one.

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:19 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d4 intermittently stops on camera mounted flash

AmbientMike wrote:
It doesn't sound like this is the issue, but it happened to me yesterday, and it might be, so I thought I'd mention it.

My flash wouldn't work on HSS, although it fired. The camera reverted to 1/200, the highest synch on my body. Couldn't figure it out for a mimute. It turned out the flash was not completely on the hot shoe. Once I had it on all the way, it worked fine

Also, kind of an FYI, you double posted this thread. Easy to do, should still be able to delete the 2nd one.

Thanks, deleted the duplicate. I am not using HSS. Many times less than 1/200th. I don't think it's a mounting issue since changing to a different flash makes no difference. I have several flashes, they are all Canon 600 EXRT's and Generics of the same. I use a Canon mounted on my camera but it doesn't seem to make a difference which flash. Oh, and another weird thing I just remembered, since usually I am shooting master and slave, one time it quit, it let me use it as a regular flash and wouldn't signal the others. I shot with just one with bad words under my breath as I continued. I am always taking a backup camera now until I figure it out.

As above, I'm going to clean the shoe but I think with it coming and going and no difference with mounting a different flash, I don't really think that is the problem.. I have wondered if you can reinstall the firmware without a new version being out thinking it's maybe something gone crazy in that aspect.

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:59 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d4 intermittently stops on camera mounted flash

Does the red light come on in back of the flash to indicate its ready to fire again? Does the screen on the flash turn orange?

Jun 17, 2019 at 12:49 PM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d4 intermittently stops on camera mounted flash

Its highly likely that the 4 screws underneath a narrow sheath which sits on top of the inside of the hotshoe have worked loose. It used to be a common problem but I haven't heard of it in current bodies.

You can get at the screws as seen in this video. Its easy, you just need small screwdrivers (which don't have to be the Japanese spec. which I can't recall the name of):

Pete

Jun 17, 2019 at 02:15 PM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d4 intermittently stops on camera mounted flash

Its highly likely that the 4 screws underneath a narrow sheath which sits on top of the inside of the hotshoe have worked loose. It used to be a common problem but I haven't heard of it in current bodies.

You can get at the screws as seen in this video. Its easy, you just need small screwdrivers (which don't have to be the Japanese spec. which I can't recall the name of):

Pete

Jun 17, 2019 at 02:17 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d4 intermittently stops on camera mounted flash

^^ That's what I was thinking and that's what I was thinking!

I've had to tighten the screws on one of my off camera cords. I added blue loc-tite to the tips of the screws to help prevent an reoccurrence.

Jun 17, 2019 at 03:22 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d4 intermittently stops on camera mounted flash

deepbluejh wrote:
Does the red light come on in back of the flash to indicate its ready to fire again? Does the screen on the flash turn orange?

I think so. I can't just look though, I'll have to wait for it to happen again. I did change batteries the first time it happened and then changed out flashes, so pretty sure it isn't a ready issue.

Jun 17, 2019 at 09:42 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d4 intermittently stops on camera mounted flash

ashton lamont wrote:

Pete

Thanks, I will check this out. It is one of the first Mark IV's so a few years old now.

Jun 17, 2019 at 09:43 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.