New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Growing my B&W skills

mxwizard1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Growing my B&W skills

Hello all....This year I am going to be working on improving my B&W photography skills...The out of camera image must be good and working on my artistic and software skills is the key...C&C welcome here. Cheers Tim

Jun 16, 2019 at 12:30 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Growing my B&W skills

Hi Tim,

Not familiar with that lens but for f/5.6 and from my Fuji experience with primes, looks really soft to me. To me, the small area of overlapped petals at left side and the larger petal surface in lower portion of image are the areas in focus . Also the darker (fold?) arc traced across the lower petal might be a distraction for some. Might want to remove or tone done two small bright slivers of leaf edges.

Magnolias difficult to photograph, I always seem to be looking up into the tree and hard to get a good, stable view. Aside - love the sweet, lemon-like fragrance - allergies do not

My nits aside, fine job! Love the delicate tones...Acros sim?

Best,

Bob

Jun 16, 2019 at 12:49 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Growing my B&W skills

I am not an expert in B&W photography, so I am just suggesting a composition that might improve the impact of your image. I also did some dodge and burn to give the image some depth. It really all depends how you want the viewer to see your image, how you want to express your feeling about the image.
Just a suggestion, as I said, that may be will give you some ideas for your personal artistic decision.
Socrate

Jun 16, 2019 at 05:13 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Growing my B&W skills

Dang! Saw this in B&W so poked my head over here and Socrate hit the nail on the head.

I think I'd be a little less aggressive with some of the sharpening/d&b, but the crop it precisely where I was looking.

Nice shot, Tim - good to hear from ya!

Jeff

Jun 18, 2019 at 02:34 PM
visualpauses
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Growing my B&W skills

Great attempt, Tim,
Socrate's crop provides visual bookends for the user, between the top left and the bottom right so I liked that crop the best. There's not much for the eye to explore in the bottom left so taking that out was best. Also liked the dodge/burn edits he made to add depth.

Jun 19, 2019 at 01:23 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.