New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Variations

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Variations

Thoughts? Preference? All grab shots as we were talking, available light.

Gentleman opening the local version of a Dime Museum.

Bob

Jun 14, 2019 at 08:45 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Variations

Holy crap, he's even more interesting up close! SO so glad that you are getting more photos of him.

Color is miles better than its mono counterpart. Gorgeous blue eyes pop like crazy. The facial hair comes alive - the fire of the reds from the shirt.

Color all the way.

The second is fantastic as bw, but I'd also like to see the color version. Love the catchlights, speculars from the piercings and highlight on the bald head. Those bushy eyebrows are also awesome.

As I said before, this guy does not have character, he IS character. You struck subject gold!

Jeff

Jun 14, 2019 at 09:42 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Variations

beavens wrote:
Holy crap, he's even more interesting up close! SO so glad that you are getting more photos of him.

Color is miles better than its mono counterpart. Gorgeous blue eyes pop like crazy. The facial hair comes alive - the fire of the reds from the shirt.

Color all the way.

The second is fantastic as bw, but I'd also like to see the color version. Love the catchlights, speculars from the piercings and highlight on the bald head. Those bushy eyebrows are also awesome.

As I said before, this guy does not have character, he IS character. You struck subject gold!

Jeff

Thanks,

Once he's finished construction hope to get more of the context, but awfully dark.

Just happened to have the color available

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:21 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Variations

Bob Jarman wrote:
Thanks,

Once he's finished construction hope to get more of the context, but awfully dark.

Just happened to have the color available

It pains me to say it, but the color has a lot more pop.

I like the mono, but color wins out both cases for me here.

Jeff

Jun 14, 2019 at 11:06 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Variations

I also like the color version. It has definitely more impact. Lovely bg in both and the pose looks very natural. The first shot is my favorite. To me it shows a more intense look. The only think is that on my monitor I see some red cast and it looks also a bit oversat.
Nice job, Bob.

How does this look? I reduced some red and vibrance.
Socrate

Jun 14, 2019 at 11:37 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Variations

Shasoc wrote:
I also like the color version. It has definitely more impact. Lovely bg in both and the pose looks very natural. The first shot is my favorite. To me it shows a more intense look. The only think is that on my monitor I see some red cast and it looks also a bit oversat.
Nice job, Bob.

How does this look? I reduced some red and vibrance.
Socrate

Thank you Socrate, and thanks for the rework - skin tones much better.

If you are familiar with my PC history, skin tones always my Achilles heel - why I prefer more on the grunge side of the spectrum, case here too. Light probably 3 or 4 different temps, I tried to balance but beyond my skills and patience. I do find Capture One's (shameless plug) color adjustment interface superior to all others but too, their color adjustment tutorials beyond my perception and leave me scratching my head and a headache from squinting. Also why I spent all these years honing monochrome skills - at least I can see marginal differences better

Also, on this monitor the reworked shirt and ascot appear really blocked up and over-baked for me. Also the more vibrant background is distracting - to me. All that said, I suspect yours would produce better print results.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time for a proper rework

Best,

Bob

Jun 14, 2019 at 01:06 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Variations

At the home monitor now - +1 @ being a bit reddish. And I also agreed about the blacks and darker background being more dynamic.

Everything else is looking improved in the rework.

Might have to run down to GA and steal this guy from ya.

Jeff

Jun 14, 2019 at 01:51 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Variations

I was having a hard time with the purple in his beard. Interesting shot!

Edited on Aug 15, 2021 at 10:47 PM · View previous versions

Jun 14, 2019 at 06:39 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Variations

Interesting and cast as noted.

Theatrical lighting environment always presents additional challenges.

Jun 14, 2019 at 09:23 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Variations

Bob Jarman wrote:
Thoughts? Preference? All grab shots as we were talking, available light.

Gentleman opening the local version of a Dime Museum.

Bob

These are all great Bob! My picks are #1 and #3. In #1 I love the rhythmic, wavy background. Looks like you were channeling Arbus.
Socrate's tweak to the color in #1 seems more realistic. Incredible person to photograph. Did you spend much time talking to him? What is a Dime Museum? Like a Ripleys Believe It Or Not?

Steve

Jun 14, 2019 at 09:55 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Variations

eeneryma wrote:
These are all great Bob! My picks are #1 and #3. In #1 I love the rhythmic, wavy background. Looks like you were channeling Arbus.
Socrate's tweak to the color in #1 seems more realistic. Incredible person to photograph. Did you spend much time talking to him? What is a Dime Museum? Like a Ripleys Believe It Or Not?

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Yes, we've talked on several occasions, and he is always most willing and gracious to spend as much time as necessary. Interestingly seeing my X-Pro2 he immediately asked if it is a Leica. Our photographic paths parallel to an extent - shoot, develop and print, bathroom darkroom - enlarger on lid of toilet seat, trays in bathtub, etc. Good old days

He's a Buffalo native and as a kid developed a fascination with Dime Museums, wiki and still pursues it today.

Bob

Jun 15, 2019 at 06:20 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.