FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · The Bishop's Mitre Shield-Bug Aelia acuminata

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Bishop's Mitre Shield-Bug Aelia acuminata

I had seen these, rather spindle-shaped and quite stripey, bugs on the stems of flowering grass in our garden. They were always at or near the tops of stems and readily moved around to the opposite side from me.

I occasionally took a few shots but disturbing the long grass near the bugs made then move out of sight. There were normally one or two but on the final occasion there were five within about a meter circle. They were always in an undefined patch to one side of the path but I never saw them on similar grass in the same patch, which was several meters square.

When the five were present I decided to get a good set of images.

The last thing I thought these were was Shield-bugs but I came across images when looking images of a definite Shied-bug.

Olympus EM-1 (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 x2 TC, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, f11, hand-held.

The stereo is crosseye. I had to crop out one of the antennae in one of the pair of images to make the stereo work. All images have been cropped.

Harold

Harold Gough 2019

Harold Gough 2019

Harold Gough 2019

Harold Gough 2019

Harold Gough 2019

Harold Gough 2019

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:57 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Bishop's Mitre Shield-Bug Aelia acuminata

Nice find and shots Harold- not seen this one
Brian V.

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:14 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Bishop's Mitre Shield-Bug Aelia acuminata

LordV wrote:
Nice find and shots Harold- not seen this one
Brian V.

Thanks, Brian.

They seem to have a fairly long season (weeks*) on knee-high, self-sown grass. I haven't noticed them elsewhere but I might now.

[Edit] * They have one generation and are around all year round. The young (spring & early summer) feed on ripening grass seeds. [Edit ends]

Harold

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:22 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.