Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2019 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

jon.pictures
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

rdcny wrote:
What's the opinion on the focus by wire this new 600 F4 Sony has? The reviewers seem less than enthused about that construction. Does the 400mm F4 Sony also have focus by wire?

Given that the new Canon 400 and 600 III also use focus by wire it seemed an odd point to specify without mentioning that fact as well. Though I'm guessing this may have been because they didn't know this? The video users segment felt like it was just tacked on a bit as well anyway.

The newer Sony lenses apparently have better linear feeling on the focus by wire systems too. There wasn't much mention on how well it did perform on the new lenses, only that it does use an electronic rather than mechanical system. All the Sony E mount lenses focus this way though so it's hardly a surprise. I'm pretty sure all of the first party mirrorless camera lenses are for that matter.

Unless I'm mistaken it's only really the manual focus only lenses that use a traditional mechanical manual focus, such as the Zeiss Loxia (not the Batis), Voigtlander and presumably companies like Laowa and Samyang (again just the manual focus only lenses).

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:31 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

jon.pictures wrote:
Given that the new Canon 400 and 600 III also use focus by wire it seemed an odd point to specify without mentioning that fact as well. Though I'm guessing this may have been because they didn't know this? The video users segment felt like it was just tacked on a bit as well anyway.

The newer Sony lenses apparently have better linear feeling on the focus by wire systems too. There wasn't much mention on how well it did perform on the new lenses, only that it does use an electronic rather than mechanical system. All the Sony E
...Show more

...and video-focused lenses, like the 28-135mm PZ lens, which I think is the only native FE lens that isn't FBW.

Jun 11, 2019 at 01:12 PM
this is me
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

Some sample on Sony site.
https://www.sony.net/Products/di_photo-gallery/lens/SEL600F40GM/

I find it odd that none of the bird images are available at 100% but a silhouette of a goat is.

Jun 11, 2019 at 03:54 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

this is me wrote:
Some sample on Sony site.
https://www.sony.net/Products/di_photo-gallery/lens/SEL600F40GM/

I find it odd that none of the bird images are available at 100% but a silhouette of a goat is.

Yeah that goat silhouette sure demonstrated the sharpness from the lens at 100%...

Jun 11, 2019 at 05:14 PM
rdcny
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

From an interview at DP Review published today (11 June):
https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/1348083745/sony-interview-600mm-f4-200-600mm-launch

Who do you see as the target market for the new lenses?

"Compared to the 400mm, the 600mm is more targeted at high-end amateurs. Photographers that shoot birds, wildlife, aircraft. Maybe 70-80% will be wildlife photographers. That’s why the market is bigger for the 600mm than the 400mm."
------------------
These products (200-600mm zoom and the new 600mm F4 GM) use technologies developed for the 400mm F2.8 - how has that product performed in the market?

"The sales have been much higher than we expected - more than double. We thought at the first stages of development for the lens that there were only a few people who would shoot sports with our products - for example only Alpha 9 users, or photographers who shoot smaller small sporting events. But after we launched the 400mm, we have seen demand from many of the top sports photographers working at large events."
---------------------
Do you have a sense of how many professional photographers are using that lens, versus enthusiasts?

"Almost 70% of the [customer base] for that lens are professionals. Availability is still capped - there is a long waiting list."
---------------------
What are the specific differences between the two new lenses that account for the difference between ‘G’ and ‘GM’?

"With G Master lenses we always include the latest, innovative technologies. We never compromise. Always the latest technologies. With the 200-600mm, there are some compromises, for example in the materials, or the body. We didn’t use magnesium-alloy, or the [newer XD linear autofocus] actuator.

"Affordability is also important for the G series, to expand the size of the market. And sometimes it’s practicality. We don’t actually need to use the XD linear actuators with a small focusing group for example [like the one in the 200-600mm]."
-----------------------
What were the major priorities for the design of the 600mm?

"Basically we’re targeting the best of the best. Without compromise. Every time we plan to make a G Master series lens, we aim for 'no competition'. Which means the highest spec. We don’t compromise on anything. Autofocus, image quality, light weight. What I mean by that is we develop new technologies every time. So there’s not a particular standard for G Master, we just include innovative technologies every time. Technologies that didn’t exist before.

"We’re always listening to our professionals. And after we launched the 400mm, a lot of professionals told us they wanted a 600mm. We also consider camera bodies that will come in the future as well. The key concept is ‘future lenses for today’.
----------------------
So when you’re designing a lens like this are you planning for even more focus calculations per second and faster frame rates than the a9 can achieve, for example?

"Yes."
--------------------------
If we assume that this is a lens that will be used by a lot of a9 photographers, what kind of camera do they want next?

"They always request more speed, less weight, greater usability. I think that every professional photographer wants something different. We gather all those voices and we use that feedback to plan what we should do."
-----------------------------
How would you summarize the competitive advantages of these new lenses compared to existing products on the market?

"If you shoot seriously, the 600mm is for you. The spec of the lens itself, its weight and its resolution is perhaps almost the same [as the current best competitive alternative]. But the integration with our camera bodies is much better than our competitors, I think. So if photographers want to maximize the performance of their camera body, they should use this lens. At this moment, there is no competition to the Alpha 9. Its performance is the best."

Jun 11, 2019 at 07:24 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

Just a quick question regarding Sony teleconverters.

How is the Image Quality of the Sony's 2x teleconverter compared to Canon's 2x mark III? On any lens. Are they of similar sharpness?

Jun 11, 2019 at 09:35 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

kosin wrote:
Just a quick question regarding Sony teleconverters.

How is the Image Quality of the Sony's 2x teleconverter compared to Canon's 2x mark III? On any lens. Are they of similar sharpness?

I've only shot the 2xTC on the 100-400GM lens....it can get results like these on that slow lens...wouldn't doubt it rocks on the 400GM and 600GM.

I think the Sony 2xTC stands up to the Canon which I also find excellent but have only used the Canon on really expensive primes (300II, 400DOII, 200-400, 600II, 600III) so I can't really compare directly with a similar quality lens to start with.

I can surely say the Nikon 2xTCIII is behind the others even when I put it on my 500 f/4 E FL lens.

Jun 11, 2019 at 09:44 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

rdcny wrote:
From an interview at DP Review published today (11 June):
https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/1348083745/sony-interview-600mm-f4-200-600mm-launch

Who do you see as the target market for the new lenses?

"Compared to the 400mm, the 600mm is more targeted at high-end amateurs. Photographers that shoot birds, wildlife, aircraft. Maybe 70-80% will be wildlife photographers. That’s why the market is bigger for the 600mm than the 400mm."
------------------
These products (200-600mm zoom and the new 600mm F4 GM) use technologies developed for the 400mm F2.8 - how has that product performed in the market?

"The sales have been much higher than we expected - more than double. We thought at the first stages of
...Show more

That was a great interview. I only worry about one statement in that interview and that is when he says A9 users want "less weight" in a future camera....NOOOOO....they do not....we need a larger camera, not another dinky toy body.

Jun 11, 2019 at 09:47 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

I wonder how B&H is going to ship this $14,000 lens. Thrown into a larger box with a deflated strip of bubble wrap like they normally do?

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:41 PM
phototiimo
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

mjm6 wrote:
...and video-focused lenses, like the 28-135mm PZ lens, which I think is the only native FE lens that isn't FBW.

Maybe Sony will come out with another huge power zoom lens to cover the longer focal ranges too, now that they're putting out now photo oriented lenses for those long FLs.

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:50 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

arbitrage wrote:
I've only shot the 2xTC on the 100-400GM lens....it can get results like these on that slow lens...wouldn't doubt it rocks on the 400GM and 600GM.

I think the Sony 2xTC stands up to the Canon which I also find excellent but have only used the Canon on really expensive primes (300II, 400DOII, 200-400, 600II, 600III) so I can't really compare directly with a similar quality lens to start with.

I can surely say the Nikon 2xTCIII is behind the others even when I put it on my 500 f/4 E FL lens.

I wish the A7R3 was capable of PDAF at f/11...Great shots btw!

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:12 PM
daniel.in.la
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

So excited to pre-order this bad boy right here! Will be doing some side-by-side comparisons with my 400 GM. I may likely end up keeping both, but I originally planned to buy the 600 as my one and only piece of super long glass for my prime kit. The 400 never comes off my A9, while all my other lenses move on and off my A7R III. Weight is just right for decent amounts of handheld shooting, but with the 600, the balancing of the longer setup will mean a monopod for sure.

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:37 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

The Sony 400/2.8 GM is only 6.4 pounds and the 600/4 GM 6.7 pounds. I have not paid attention to the weight of the new lenses and I'm shocked. Last time I checked super teles was when Canon had their Mark II lenses and they were much heavier.

I used to handhold the Canon 500/4L IS II at 7 pounds and I'm glad the new Sony 600/4 GM is even lighter. It's now a consideration for me.

With the Sony 1.4x TC, we get 840/5.6 at 7 pounds. The Canon 800/5.6 is 10 pounds!

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:27 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

People that were standing on the fence since they feel that the GM 400mm, while great for sport photography, is a tad short for wildlife photography, especially for birds, will jump on the bandwagon of the 600mm. That sounds very familiar, BTW .

Furthermore, wildlife photogs that went for the 400mm since it was the only choice for a long native lens would consider getting the 600mm now. I got the hunch a few of them will show up in the B&S board before too long. We will see how well Sony would be able to satisfy the demand for the 600mm.

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:38 AM
fadeslayer
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

I think if money is no object that both 400 and 600 have their place in a wildlife photographer's bag. f/2.8 at dusk is killer... but reach is too

Jun 12, 2019 at 02:15 AM
Mark K
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

Just bought a grip for A6400....

40Driggs wrote:
This is a step in a really good direction for Sony. I feel like they still need a D500 and/or D850 competitor though to really sway more people. Using the a6400 with a heavy lens just doesn’t appeal to me and the a9 lacks in pixel density (for my taste). No matter what it’s a really needed lens in the lineup.

Jun 12, 2019 at 06:46 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

I am comfortable with my 400GM and both TCs. 800mm F5.6 is long enough for me and the 2.0 TC on the 400GM does a fine job. Environmental conditions can compromise a longer combo.

However, the BIF folks will likely use the 600GM with the 2.0 TC and, soon to be announced, crop sensor body for an (equivalent) 1800mm F8.0. I have an old Canon EF 600mm F4.0 (non IS) for that-a tripod only rig. Incidentally, my A9’s IBIS (on manual) appears to steady the image effectively.

Jun 12, 2019 at 08:28 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

arbitrage wrote:
Exactly. That is why I won't buy this lens yet. I am used to having the extra pixel density with my D850 and D500. I already find 800mm short on the 24MP A9 in a lot of my use cases.

Completely agree. I'm intrigued with the capabilities of the A9, and the new 600 just whets the appetite to tryout Sony, but until Sony can deliver a high MP sensor in an A9 format, I'll continue watching from the sidelines.

Jun 12, 2019 at 09:00 AM
fadeslayer
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

So it's only few years (maybe 2?) that we have a high-megapixel count with decent AF for birds but nowhere near A9, previously we had less than 21mp on high-speed machines, and before no-one complained about that, now that we have a nuclear powered machine like the A9 suddendly we can't shoot anymore because we have ONLY 24 mp Are we seriously going out of the room this way?

Jun 12, 2019 at 09:16 AM
BPsmith511
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

rdcny wrote:
"We’re always listening to our professionals. And after we launched the 400mm, a lot of professionals told us they wanted a 600mm. We also consider camera bodies that will come in the future as well. The key concept is ‘future lenses for today’.

This really stood out to me. The 400mm was not released all that long ago; based on this statement it seems that Sony either started developing or at least went beyond "base patent drawing" the 600mm after or shortly before the 400mm was released and to me that is quite impressive, no matter the company to do it.

Jun 12, 2019 at 09:55 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.