Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

Pre-order June 13th at B&H Photo starting Friday, June 14th

Price: $12,998

Main specs:
  1. E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
  2. Aperture Range: f/4 to f/22
  3. ED, Fluorite, and Aspherical Elements
  4. Nano AR Coating and Fluorine Coating
  5. Extreme Dynamic Linear AF Motors
  6. Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization
  7. Internal Focus; Focus Range Limiter
  8. Dust and Moisture-Resistant Construction
  9. Fixed, Rotating Tripod Collar
  10. Eleven-Blade Circular Diaphragm

Sony today announced another impressive addition to its flagship full-frame G Master™ series lens lineup: the new FE 600mm F4 GM OSS super-telephoto prime lens (model SEL600F40GM).

Key Features:

Fast, Precise and Quiet Autofocus

To take best advantage of the highly evolved autofocus systems of Sony’s latest full-frame E-mount cameras, the new FE 600mm F4 GM OSS lens features two extreme dynamic (XD) linear motors that drive the lens’ focus group to provide fast, precise AF and reliable subject tracking. These motors are supported by specially developed motion algorithms to minimize lag and instability, as well as to control noise levels, resulting in exceptionally quick, accurate and quiet autofocus performance, allowing the lens to capture dynamic, fast moving athletes or wildlife with ease.

Superb G Master Image Quality and Bokeh

As a member of Sony’s flagship G Master series lenses, this new large aperture super-telephoto prime lens features an incredible level of image quality and detail, with outstanding contrast and resolution maintained all the way to the corners of the image. The unique optical design includes a large extreme aspherical (XA) element that effectively suppress all common telephoto lens aberrations, in addition to three fluorite elements that help to minimize chromatic aberration and suppress any amount of color bleeding. Sony’s latest bokeh simulation technologies and XA element are also utilized to control spherical aberration and help achieve exquisite bokeh.

The lens features an 11-blade circular aperture mechanism that contributes to the high quality of bokeh in images, and it has been coated with Sony’s original Nano AR coating to suppress any unwanted reflections, glare or ghosting in images.

The new FE 600mm F4 GM OSS is compatible with Sony’s 1.4x and 2.0x E-mount tele-converters, producing outstanding imaging performance at extended focal lengths[iii] while maintaining fast, precise AF performance.

Lightweight, Balanced Design

The new super-telephoto prime lens provides a level of portability and maneuverability that has never been achieved before in a lens of its class. Based on technology from the acclaimed FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS lens, the lightweight design of the new 600mm lens is achieved through the usage of three fluorite elements, with a reduced number of elements deployed at the front of the barrel. Magnesium alloy is also used throughout the lens to help minimize weight and bulk.

Also inherited from FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS, the new 600mm lens features a lens design that is not front-heavy, reducing moment of inertia that resists rotation and ensuring quicker, more precise panning when shooting handheld or on a monopod.

Durability, Reliability and Control

To withstand the harsh conditions of sporting events and wildlife photography, Sony’s new FE 600mm F4 GM OSS is built with a durable magnesium alloy and a strong, lightweight carbon fiber hood. The lens is dust and moisture resistant[iv], and its front element is coated with fluorine to resist dirt and fingerprints.

FE 600mm F4 GM OSS features an ample number of hard controls on the lens, including customizable focus-hold buttons in four different locations on the lens barrel, which can be programmed for control of features, if desired. There is also a Full-Time DMF switch to immediately engage manual focus at any point, and a focus ring that features Linear Response MF for fine, responsive manual focus.

Additionally, the new lens includes built-in optical stabilization for dynamic action and three different ‘Mode’ settings, including a Mode 3[v] setting with an advanced algorithm that ensures easier framing when following moving subjects. It also features a function ring with selectable ‘Preset’ and ‘Function’ settings, and a drop-in filter slot that accepts ø 40.5mm ND and other filter types, as well as the optional VF-DCPL1 Drop-in Circular Polarizing Filter. The VF-DCPL1 filter can be rotated to achieve the desired polarization while installed in the lens.

Pricing and Availability

The FE 600mm F4 GM OSS will ship in August 2019 for approximately $13,000 US and $16,900 CA. It will be sold at a variety of Sony’s authorized dealers throughout North America.

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:10 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

Discuss and share shots if you end up buying this.
Estimate price is $13K....same as Canon Mk3
BH lists this lens at $12,997.99 and available Friday Aug 2nd
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1485539-REG/sony_sel600f40gm_fe_600mm_f_4_gm.html
MFD 4.5 vs 4.2m on Canon
Weight is 3040 vs 3050 on Canon

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/4146085092/hands-on-with-new-sony-gm-600mm-f4-and-g-200-600mm-f5-6-6-3?slide=7
https://www.dpreview.com/samples/0983663478/sony-fe-600mm-f4-gm-oss-sample-gallery?utm_source=self-desktop&utm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

$16,988 CDN....yikes...but expected and same as Canon before the Canadian CPS discount...$2K more compared to the CPS price though....

Edited on Jun 11, 2019 at 11:25 AM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2019 at 09:52 AM
Sarpedon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

Weight is the same but it looks like Sony has more favorable weight distribution compared to the Canon.

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:28 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

Sarpedon wrote:
Weight is the same but it looks like Sony has more favorable weight distribution compared to the Canon.

Hard to say, Canon threw all the elements to the rear also in the 600III and 400III. I've shot the 600III and the distribution towards the rear is very noticeable and a big improvement compared to the 600II that I owned for many years.
I think they are going to be similar to handhold.

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:34 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

Man I wish I had this back in the day when I used to shoot incoming landing aircraft right off the runway decks. Used to shoot those with a Nikon F3 a Nikon 600mm F4 MANUAL focus. Those where the days. Today i can't get on those runways anymore after 9/11.

This would certainly be a fun lens to shoot. Glad to see it come to market. Always can rent

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:38 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

I wish Sony would offer a short hood like Canon does...although I also wish it was an option to choose which one you get with the lens and not have to pony up $600 like you do with the Canon.

Shooting along side Pius with the 600III and short hood made me envious...makes the lens that much less obtrusive out in the field.

For anyone considering this lens remember that as with the 400GM, Canon lens feet fit on the lens. Opens up a bigger selection of readily available feet.

Edited on Jun 11, 2019 at 10:44 AM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:42 AM
40Driggs
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

This is a step in a really good direction for Sony. I feel like they still need a D500 and/or D850 competitor though to really sway more people. Using the a6400 with a heavy lens just doesn’t appeal to me and the a9 lacks in pixel density (for my taste). No matter what it’s a really needed lens in the lineup.

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:44 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

40Driggs wrote:
This is a step in a really good direction for Sony. I feel like they still need a D500 and/or D850 competitor though to really sway more people. Using the a6400 with a heavy lens just doesn’t appeal to me and the a9 lacks in pixel density (for my taste). No matter what it’s a really needed lens in the lineup.

Exactly. That is why I won't buy this lens yet. I am used to having the extra pixel density with my D850 and D500. I already find 800mm short on the 24MP A9 in a lot of my use cases.

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:45 AM
this is me
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

Imaging Resource has a few more samples from the Sony 600mm F4.
https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/sony/fe-600mm-f4-gm-oss/review/
Again, not very impress with the IQ of this lens so far from both DPR sample gallery and IR.

WTH is this?
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a9/FULLRES/Y-600MM-DSC05641.HTM

Edited on Jun 11, 2019 at 10:50 AM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:45 AM
Sarpedon
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

arbitrage wrote:
Hard to say, Canon threw all the elements to the rear also in the 600III and 400III. I've shot the 600III and the distribution towards the rear is very noticeable and a big improvement compared to the 600II that I owned for many years.
I think they are going to be similar to handhold.

Ha, that's what I get for googling the diagram and not checking carefully. Seems I was looking at the II.

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

BH lists this lens at $12,997.99 and available Friday Aug 2nd

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1485539-REG/sony_sel600f40gm_fe_600mm_f_4_gm.html

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:48 AM
trstahly
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

arbitrage wrote:
I wish Sony would offer a short hood like Canon does...although I also wish it was an option to choose which one you get with the lens and not have to pony up $600 like you do with the Canon.

Shooting along side Pius with the 600III and short hood made me envious...makes the lens that much less obtrusive out in the field.

For anyone considering this lens remember that as with the 400GM, Canon lens feet fit on the lens. Opens up a bigger selection of readily available feet.

I would love to see Sony come out with a shorter hood. My only question is due to the diameter of the glass they must have thought they needed that kind of length to prevent glare or it would not be that long.

Is that correct?

I would want as short a hood as possible if it did a decent job of keeping stray light out I am not worried about protection I am very careful with these lenses.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a shorter hood such as pros and cons and why's?

Thanks

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:53 AM
iamso78

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

this is me wrote:
Again, not very impress with the IQ of this lens so far from both DPR sample gallery and IR.

WTH is this?

lol i do agree with you in regards to all the current 640GM sample images, hope this is an user error rather than the IQ of the lens, think I was more impressed with the 428GM samples images when it 1st launch.

Here a screenshot from youtube video comparing 200-600G vs 640GM

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:21 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

Canadian price is $16,988

Canon 600III official price is $16,999 BUT if you are a Canadian CPS member the price is just under $14.5K so that actually is a big difference. Too bad Canon don't have a competitive body right now or I might go back for the 600III alone.

Edited on Jun 11, 2019 at 11:42 AM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:22 AM
mjm6
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

There is some very interesting information in the Tony Northrop preview of the 600mm lens...

It sounds like he really likes the lens, but pay close attention to the second part of the video where he discusses the camera (a9) and the potential shortcomings of the EVF that is essentially inherent in all EVF cameras (and probably worse in cameras other than the a9).

Note that he does indicate that what he sees as possible shortcomings may be improved/resolved with the next generation of cameras (with faster processing), and that one of the problems he noted (EVF image lag when shooting) might be something that just requires practice and getting used to the dynamic of the body.

Also note that he points this out when using a 2x TC on the lens, and he comments as such. Basically, as you go out there in focal length, all these slight issues (EVF delay, etc.) become more relevant because your framing is very narrow before the subject is out of the frame.

Regardless, I think he has made some excellent points about the system, and in general, his comments are well considered and reasonable. No effusive gushing in this, just well placed praise and some words of caution to ensure that people have appropriate expectations.

Edited on Jun 11, 2019 at 11:48 AM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:39 AM
mjm6
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

this is me wrote:
WTH is this?

In another video, it's pretty clear that the images from NJ were shot with considerable heat shimmer on the sand, so much so that Tony Northrop commented on that, and the likelihood that they wouldn't get anything sharp from those conditions.

Watch that video I linked just above and you can see some video shot through the lens of the same subjects from the same shooting session that clearly shows the heat shimmer.

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:44 AM
this is me
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

I refuse to click on the Northrup's video.
But I believe you on the heat shimmer. And I also don't know if a soccer field in the evening is a good showcase for a 600mm. The grass tend to keep off misty haze in the evening and that can cause a lot of atmospheric condition issue for a long lens.
I'd love to see this lens in capable hands and better condition. Time will tell.

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:49 AM
rdcny
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

What's the opinion on the focus by wire this new 600 F4 Sony has? The reviewers seem less than enthused about that construction. Does the 400mm F4 Sony also have focus by wire?

For those worried about a lens hood...why do you need one? I shoot the Canon 400mm F4 II and the 600mm F4 II all the time without a hood - no problems. But I try always to shoot with the light at my back. I avoid mid-day (especially in tropics) because the light (heat shimmer) degrades the image - and Canon bodies have trouble focusing accurately in those conditions anyway...As for protection, if you walk with the lens put a Don Zeck cap on the front element...put tape along the rim of the front element if worried about scratches/nicks to that black surface...By leaving the lens hood home I save much weight/size...but I keep it in the SUV just in case of rain. Anyway, seriously consider no lens hood...or at least take some photos without it and check the results - you might begin to wonder exactly what do those big lens' hoods do?

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:11 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

this is me wrote:

WTH is this?

I just downloaded a few soccer pictures and looked at them in LR on a Retina display. Looks very sharp and nice.

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:16 PM
trstahly
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pre-order June 13th: Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS ($12,998)

rdcny wrote:
What's the opinion on the focus by wire this new 600 F4 Sony has? The reviewers seem less than enthused about that construction. Does the 400mm F4 Sony also have focus by wire?

For those worried about a lens hood...why do you need one? I shoot the Canon 400mm F4 II and the 600mm F4 II all the time without a hood - no problems. But I try always to shoot with the light at my back. I avoid mid-day (especially in tropics) because the light (heat shimmer) degrades the image - and Canon bodies have trouble focusing accurately in those
...Show more

I go out with my 400 GM often without a hood. I would like something that stuck out 2/3" of an inch just to protect the edge from getting dented or dinged though.

I use Sensei aluminum hoods on all my other lens except < 50mm without UV of other filters and have for a couple of years and would not have it any other way.

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:22 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password