New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · GoldenGate: I need your artistic eyes and skill

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GoldenGate: I need your artistic eyes and skill

These are 4different views of Golden Gate. Please tell me which one you would pick and why.
Thanks ahead

Jun 09, 2019 at 06:11 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GoldenGate: I need your artistic eyes and skill

My preference out of this set is the third image for the distant cityscape casting the shadow. Followed closely by the last image.
All feel to over processed to my eyes though and the flares are hurting them considerably along with the dust bunnies on your sensor.

In the third image I think you shouldn't hold back the sun so strongly and let it shine more naturally. And try to clean up those flares.

Dave

Jun 09, 2019 at 07:14 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GoldenGate: I need your artistic eyes and skill

The first is a straight forward shot. Technically it is the best, but to me there is a lack of interest and too much of the headlands.

The second has just too much flare and the flare becomes the subject and detracts from the landscape.

I agree with Dave that the third is the best of the set. I would recommend spending some additional time on the PP. Parts of the sky seem to have a greenish cast and the brightness of the sun could use some additional taming.

The last is my second favorite, but it could also use some improved PP. There are quite few dust bunnies on the left side in the sky and the large circular flares don't help IMO.

Jun 09, 2019 at 10:26 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GoldenGate: I need your artistic eyes and skill

+1 @ Dave & Jim

Jun 09, 2019 at 10:40 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GoldenGate: I need your artistic eyes and skill

nugeny wrote:
These are 4different views of Golden Gate. Please tell me which one you would pick and why.
Thanks ahead

---------------------------------------------

lighthound wrote:
My preference out of this set is the third image for the distant cityscape casting the shadow. Followed closely by the last image.
All feel to over processed to my eyes though and the flares are hurting them considerably along with the dust bunnies on your sensor.

In the third image I think you shouldn't hold back the sun so strongly and let it shine more naturally. And try to clean up those flares.

Dave

---------------------------------------------

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ Dave & Jim

Great observations. Thank you all.
Bob

Jun 10, 2019 at 10:03 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GoldenGate: I need your artistic eyes and skill

2 more older images using slides

Jun 10, 2019 at 06:25 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GoldenGate: I need your artistic eyes and skill

Of the last two the first is the more appealing to me. The appeal is mainly the strong composition and the fog. That said, I cannot muster much enthusiasm for any of these. The fog rolls in almost every afternoon and on some days it can really add mood and drama to the scene. Other days, including your time there, it is sort of blah.

I visited the Marin headlands overlook of the GG bridge one afternoon 7 years ago. The evening I was there I never got the typical fog so I stayed until midnight shooting at night. This is one of the most heavily photographed areas in the US. The traffic on an regular weekday evening was so bad I could not park within a miles walk. There were hundreds and hundreds of visitors with a great many sporting DSLRs and tripods. I met photographers who had been coming there several times a week for years. On top of that there are relatively few choices for decent compositions featuring the bridge. Under those circumstances, it seems any photo for public consumption needs to be at least on a par with the many thousands that can be found on flickr and other sites. That is a tall order.

Jun 10, 2019 at 10:09 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GoldenGate: I need your artistic eyes and skill

Camperjim wrote:
Of the last two the first is the more appealing to me. The appeal is mainly the strong composition and the fog. That said, I cannot muster much enthusiasm for any of these. The fog rolls in almost every afternoon and on some days it can really add mood and drama to the scene. Other days, including your time there, it is sort of blah.

I visited the Marin headlands overlook of the GG bridge one afternoon 7 years ago. The evening I was there I never got the typical fog so I stayed until midnight shooting at night. This
...Show more

The third picture that you picked was taken early morning. I was about the only one there on that day. People prefer to sleep. So if you want to do it again, do like I did: let your wife sleep and just sneak out.

Jun 11, 2019 at 05:47 AM
Phong.nh
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GoldenGate: I need your artistic eyes and skill

1picked

Jun 11, 2019 at 06:17 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GoldenGate: I need your artistic eyes and skill

I think that low sun really hurt the shots here, as already discussed.

With that being said, I like the last the best. Sure, your blacks are blocked but you don't have the overpowering mass of the land the distractions of the sun. Plus you have that awesome classic Bay fog!!

My thoughts would be to make lemonade out of your last shot and convert to mono. You don't have to really worry about recovering the shadows here, so it's pretty bang-bang.

Food for thought below.

Jeff

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:24 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GoldenGate: I need your artistic eyes and skill

Very nice. I would blur out the big circular flares on the upper right corner.

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:37 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · GoldenGate: I need your artistic eyes and skill

Camperjim wrote:
Very nice. I would blur out the big circular flares on the upper right corner.

Agreed - I bet you could make quick work with the clone/smudge tool.

Jeff

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:11 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.