Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Weird spot. Looking for 120fps in my next upgrade.

MGH-PA
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Weird spot. Looking for 120fps in my next upgrade.

I’ll give a quick run down.

I currently own both a 70D and 6D with a variety of low end/mid-range EF and EF-S lenses. My go to setup for my main shooting of my kids (which is what I do mostly these days) is my 6d with the 35mm/f2. I really like this setup, but I find the 6D a little lacking for moving subjects like my toddler and almost 1 year old. My 70D paired with the Canon 10-18mmSTM is my go to for real estate work (doing flash and ambient exposure blending from a tripod of course).

I’m happy with Canon and I have always used their systems. I’m not brand loyal, but also don’t want to go chasing the next “new” thing. With that being said, I’m starting to shoot a fair amount of video, especially my children. The 70D is much better suited for this purpose, but I don’t have great glass for it, and it doesn’t shoot 120fps (call it cliche, but I like editing 120fps in post for some of my short pieces that I edit, especially with the kids). I originally had planned to ditch the crop all together (and all EF-S lenses), and pick up a 5dMKIV, and then a 16-35 for real estate, and deal with the 120fps at 720, but then I looked into also trying out the A7III (adapting a few of my current lenses that I would want to keep).

I know the A7III will suit me better for the video, but I worry I will be giving up familiarity and comfort with my current system, for a lot of unknowns. I have also considered renting one for a few days, but still unsure if that small sampling of time will be enough to help drive a decision.

So, for what I’m doing, would the 120fps/720 suffice, or am I crazy for shelling out the same amount of money on an arguably antiquated systems vs what I would get with say, an A7III?

Jun 09, 2019 at 05:53 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Weird spot. Looking for 120fps in my next upgrade.

If you'd like to have 120fps at 1080p, the only DSLR option from Canon that will deliver it is the 1DX II. That said, there are some YT videos (namely one cinematographer I posted in some other thread and was dismissed by other posters as "talking head"), who shot quite a lot with EOS R, which has essentially the same video modes as 5DIV (with some more options). He also shot 120fps/720p and claims it uprezzes to 1080p quite nicely. Given the 120fps is for most purposes a "gimmick" or "nice to have" for ocassional effect shot, uprezzing might be a way to go for now. Especially if you only want do do a slo-mo of your kids, not a "mission critical paid jobs".

Jun 09, 2019 at 06:03 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Weird spot. Looking for 120fps in my next upgrade.

I was thinking about getting the new SL3 to replace my SL1 if it had any 120fps mode, but nada, I went for a second hand SL2...

A nice application for 120fps is to record a new stuff e.g. on martial arts trainings, like swordfighting. The "how the hell did he do that?" questions are no more, when you can replay the stuff slowmo :-D

Jun 09, 2019 at 12:40 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Weird spot. Looking for 120fps in my next upgrade.

MGH-PA wrote:
I’ll give a quick run down.

I currently own both a 70D and 6D with a variety of low end/mid-range EF and EF-S lenses. My go to setup for my main shooting of my kids (which is what I do mostly these days) is my 6d with the 35mm/f2. I really like this setup, but I find the 6D a little lacking for moving subjects like my toddler and almost 1 year old. My 70D paired with the Canon 10-18mmSTM is my go to for real estate work (doing flash and ambient exposure blending from a tripod of course).

I’m happy with
...Show more

If 120fps/720 resolution is sufficient quality for you, then I guess a dedicated high framerate video camera would be a better option, because almost every DSLR/ILC camera is heavily compromised in its operations for high framerate (resolution, AF, general controls). If on the other side you want better IQ (e.g. for extracting single frame images, not just for motion video) or you really need the DOF control of a large sensor camera, I think you should look at cameras with high quality 4K, especially flavors like 4K photo like Panasonic and some others offer. These cameras will allow selecting pretty good single frame images from a video sequence. I'm not aware of any compelling Canon camera in this areas because they are all intentionally crippled (in order to protect their EOS video gear).

Jun 10, 2019 at 03:40 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Weird spot. Looking for 120fps in my next upgrade.

MintMar wrote:
I was thinking about getting the new SL3 to replace my SL1 if it had any 120fps mode, but nada, I went for a second hand SL2...

A nice application for 120fps is to record a new stuff e.g. on martial arts trainings, like swordfighting. The "how the hell did he do that?" questions are no more, when you can replay the stuff slowmo :-D

High framerate is interesting for some very specific applications, but hardly for toddlers IMHO ;-)

I have seen some 300 fps video of hunting dragonflies which gives a similar "how the hell did he do that" impression. E.g. a dragonfly that flies off, catches a bug flying overhead and returns to the same patch before most people could press their shutter button. With high framerate video you suddenly see the dragonfly spotting its prey, gearing up for take-off and starting to track the prey. Slowmotion can also be magic e.g. for showing metamorphosis of a dragonfly which is boring in real time except for a few critical seconds.

Jun 10, 2019 at 03:45 AM
MGH-PA
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Weird spot. Looking for 120fps in my next upgrade.

Thanks. The 120fps would be strictly for slow motion playback/b-roll sequences.

I have not desire to run a dedicated video camera at this point in my life. In fact, I'm MORE likely to use my equipment if I don't have to be lugging two systems around. I want to be able to snap stills and shoot video as efficiently as possible. Right now with the 6d/70D combo, I cannot.

Jun 10, 2019 at 09:27 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Weird spot. Looking for 120fps in my next upgrade.

Sounds like you need a camera with a more video-photo hybrid design, e.g., Panasonic Lumix GH5 series. Canon is more still-photo oriented with added on video. Heck even Panasonic's tiny low-end GX85 doesn't have the 29 min video that Canon has (and does 4k).

Jun 10, 2019 at 12:54 PM
MGH-PA
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Weird spot. Looking for 120fps in my next upgrade.

I’ve been researching this some more, and while I know I said 120fps was important, I also started looking at the EOS R. While this wouldn’t offer what the A7III does, it would offer much what the 5DmkIV would, but allow me to get a few more “video” features along with the ability to try new glass if I decide to, and keep all of my current glass since I can get an R with the adapter for $2k (less than a 5DmkIV).

So many decisions!

Jun 16, 2019 at 05:57 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.