FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Wind-tolerant Robberfly

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wind-tolerant Robberfly

We have experienced some very windy weather. A 20 foot Sumach tree adopted an angle of 45 degrees to the vertical two days ago. Yesterday afternoon it increased that to 90 degrees.

It had been a warm, sunny day. The wind gusted strongly all the time, pausing only for two or three seconds at a time. I had made several searches of the wilder part of the garden but found few insects, none of interest.

So, having been busy with my chain saw, I was taking a wheelbarrow loaded with freshly-cut logs to the wild area. As I walked by the larger herb layer vegetation I saw a larger than usual fly on a broad umbellifer leaf. I took a close look and confirmed that it was a robber fly.

I think its is the Golden-haired Robberfly Choerades marginatus.

I fetched my camera but the fly had gone. Knowing something of the habits of such flies, I kept searching the area for a few minutes. I was rewarded by its return to a leaf close to the original one.

I got a (just about acceptable) shot from above then moved to try to get a head-on view but the fly took off. Waiting for the wind to drop had been an inconvenience and cause of delay.

Not discouraged, I extended my search to some Hazel leaves a short distance away. These leaves were being blown about violently but, to my surprise, about half of my exposures, at 1:1, were reasonably good, including a stereo pair.

The images have been cropped moderately.

The stereo is crosseye.

Harold

Harold Gough 2019

Harold Gough 2019

Harold Gough 2019

Harold Gough 2019

Jun 08, 2019 at 11:56 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wind-tolerant Robberfly

Nice find Harold
Brian V.

Jun 09, 2019 at 12:21 AM
John Hanon
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wind-tolerant Robberfly

Jun 09, 2019 at 06:22 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wind-tolerant Robberfly

I like the head on shots Harold ~ Ron

Jun 09, 2019 at 08:31 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wind-tolerant Robberfly

LordV wrote:
Nice find Harold
Brian V.

John Hanon wrote:

surfnron wrote:
I like the head on shots Harold ~ Ron

Thanks, everyone.

Ron,

I always prefer the head-on shots if I can get them. There is more detail to see.

Harold

Jun 09, 2019 at 08:33 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.