Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2019 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Bat...

jaybird555
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip for $2389. USA warranty, no tax, no shipping. Is this possible or is there a catch to this that I'm not aware of.

Jun 07, 2019 at 04:58 PM
nomadwithalens
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

yes you will be out 2389 and now have a nice camera.

Jun 07, 2019 at 05:34 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

Too bad they won't separate that horrible battery grip and lower the price even further, but my guess is that there's an incentive to try and move as many of those slow selling grip out of inventory. And, yes, you do have to pay sales tax even if that particular vendor neglects to collect it, unless of course if you live in a tax free state.

Jun 07, 2019 at 05:37 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

Peter Figen wrote:
Too bad they won't separate that horrible battery grip and lower the price even further, but my guess is that there's an incentive to try and move as many of those slow selling grip out of inventory. And, yes, you do have to pay sales tax even if that particular vendor neglects to collect it, unless of course if you live in a tax free state.

I put grips on both my 5D IV bodies--I consider them essential for handling heavy and awkward lenses, plus the vertical controls and extra battery useful. At first I thought they might be too fragile, but they've withstood the test of time. Good grips--far, far superior to the grips for the 5D II, which were seriously flawed. Grips for the 5D III were O.K.

Jun 07, 2019 at 05:53 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

Peter Figen wrote:

I checked and the price is $2389. out the door, no tax or shipping added. Check it yourself.

Jun 07, 2019 at 06:00 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

I have the older E11 grip and unless they changed it drastically, the ergonomics is pretty horrible, especially coming off of a 1 series integrated body. It never ever felt right. It sit attached to my spare 5DSr which I never use and the extra battery in theory is helpful but in practice not needed. But to each his own. Most people I know who have 'em don't bother.

As far as the sales tax goes, as I stated before, if you're not living in one of the six states that has no sales tax, you still have to pay even if the retailer isn't collecting. It's so much easier to have them collect than to remember to declare on your sales tax return or your state income tax return if you don't have a resale cert. Maybe Florida doesn't give a shit about their sales tax but California sure does, and if you've ever been audited for that, you'll not soon forget.

Jun 07, 2019 at 06:48 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

I noticed B&H is offering a free grip with their 6D2 body.

Jun 08, 2019 at 09:32 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

Hopefully this is a sign the 5DV is on the way

Jun 08, 2019 at 03:48 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

artsupreme wrote:
Hopefully this is a sign the 5DV is on the way

Or a 5D-R. fingers crossed

Jun 08, 2019 at 04:31 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

Mike_5D wrote:
Or a 5D-R. fingers crossed

I'm not sure they are able to achieve the fps with an R...but if they can deliver 8fps in an R body I'm all for it. Not counting on it though...I'm expecting a 5DV (last DSLR) that I plan to hold onto for years while they get the R line sorted out.

Jun 08, 2019 at 04:55 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

nomadwithalens wrote:
yes you will be out 2389 and now have a nice camera.

This is a great comment in so many ways. Thanks for making me smile today!

The other poster discussing taxes isn't saying that amazon is charging taxes, but is saying that even if you are not charged taxes by the reseller you are technically still responsible for paying that sales tax to the state you live in separately. That said, the reason most people interpret this as being tax free (since you aren't charged taxes at time of sale) is that there is still no viable way to enforce state sales taxes on internet goods without the seller collecting them because it is near impossible for the state to monitor business done over the internet.

Jun 08, 2019 at 06:24 PM
Alan Kefauver
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

kezeka wrote:
This is a great comment in so many ways. Thanks for making me smile today!

The other poster discussing taxes isn't saying that amazon is charging taxes, but is saying that even if you are not charged taxes by the reseller you are technically still responsible for paying that sales tax to the state you live in separately. That said, the reason most people interpret this as being tax free (since you aren't charged taxes at time of sale) is that there is still no viable way to enforce state sales taxes on internet goods without the seller collecting them because
...Show more

In MD, when I put it in my cart the 6% tax is added. Amazon has a warehouse here.

Jun 10, 2019 at 02:23 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

I've seen bundles both with the genuine 5DIV grip (not the crappy knock off ones) and/or with 50f1.4 and Gorilla pod in my part of the world. I, too, wish they did have substantially cheaper body only option without the lens, but that option is only like 20 EUR cheaper. The camera gear just doesn't move that fast anymore...

Jun 10, 2019 at 03:22 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

People still buy 5D MkIV? ;-)

Jun 10, 2019 at 03:42 PM
nomadwithalens
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

patotts wrote:
People still buy 5D MkIV? ;-)

Yeah, photographers.

Jun 10, 2019 at 04:45 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

I've been hit with sales tax buying from amazon for a while now (TX.) At one point I asked on the state tax hotline, IIRC, and was told that you don't have to pay sales tax on orders like this if it isn't collected.

That may have changed but if you don't have a sales tax license I mean, is everyone ordering online expected to get one? Doesn't make sense. So I think you'd get out of it.

But as far as the initial question, you can get one for less on B&S here, so, caveat emptor of course, but it seems possible. Prices have come down lately it seems. Haven't priced the grip new though, $200 used I think

Jun 10, 2019 at 05:16 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

California’s financial woes put them in a position where they have to enforce it.

There are companies that say we aren’t collecting it but you have to pay it and they turn their records over to the state. There are companies that also do not turn those records over. Mind you this is state sales tax, not federal tax. The irs will not contact you regarding that, but the state department of revenue could well audit you.

In PA it’s called a use tax. There’s a few exemptions to it like if you’re using the item in the production of an end use product that will be taxed. For example you buy printer ink and paper to print photos that you sell to the client, where you charge tax. You would not have to pay tax on the paper and ink since its end use is taxable.

I do not think that camera equipment qualifies and I think it’s specifically mentioned in the tax code.

You should check your local tax code. Peter is correct, the audits are not fun. Ignorance of the tax code isn’t a defense either.

Will you get caught? Maybe not. Maybe it’s not worth it for them to have a state revenue agent look you up for 40 bucks in sales tax. But if you’re a high volume buyer from a reporting company, you can probably expect to get picked up at some point.

Ohhh

And the use taxes are typically at YOUR state rate, not the state rate where you purchased the item.
Peter Figen wrote:
I have the older E11 grip and unless they changed it drastically, the ergonomics is pretty horrible, especially coming off of a 1 series integrated body. It never ever felt right. It sit attached to my spare 5DSr which I never use and the extra battery in theory is helpful but in practice not needed. But to each his own. Most people I know who have 'em don't bother.

As far as the sales tax goes, as I stated before, if you're not living in one of the six states that has no sales tax, you still have to
...Show more

Jun 11, 2019 at 07:55 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

artsupreme wrote:
I'm not sure they are able to achieve the fps with an R...but if they can deliver 8fps in an R body I'm all for it. Not counting on it though...I'm expecting a 5DV (last DSLR) that I plan to hold onto for years while they get the R line sorted out.

EOS R is halfway there and FPS on mirrorless are much higher typically than a DSLR FWIW. Autofocus on canon side is still catching up though it is still very useable specially given the buffer.

Jun 11, 2019 at 09:40 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

thedutt wrote:
EOS R is halfway there and FPS on mirrorless are much higher typically than a DSLR FWIW. Autofocus on canon side is still catching up though it is still very useable specially given the buffer.

The R line produces 4-5fps at best....only slightly better than a 5D from 2005. I'd be surprised to high fps mirrorless from Canon anytime soon.

Jun 13, 2019 at 02:59 PM
JDedmonPhoto

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Amazon is selling Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Body - With Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip

FYI..there have been complaints of third party vendors advertising very low prices on the units, then supplying vivitar grips, non canon batteries.

Jun 13, 2019 at 03:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.