Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · EOS R AF performance for macro?

tshore
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOS R AF performance for macro?

Has anyone tried the EOS R cameras for macro? I am curious whether the AF works for macro down to 1:1. For my EF cameras, the phase-detect AF gives out at about twice the mfd. I am thinking maybe the contrast detect AF of the EOS R would enable AF down to the MFD in the viewfinder, which would be quite nice for macro work. Thanks, T.

Jun 03, 2019 at 11:03 AM
nomadwithalens
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOS R AF performance for macro?

The R with the 100L macro works okay at 1:1 as long as there is contrast. I have started switching the minimum focus setting of this lens when using it for other types of shooting because if not limited it searches quite a bit in less than sharp contrast over the entire range if allowed.

Jun 03, 2019 at 11:34 AM
Glassworks

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOS R AF performance for macro?

I’ve enjoyed using the 100L on the R

Jun 03, 2019 at 09:30 PM
nomadwithalens
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOS R AF performance for macro?

nomadwithalens wrote:
The R with the 100L macro works okay at 1:1 as long as there is contrast. I have started switching the minimum focus setting of this lens when using it for other types of shooting because if not limited it searches quite a bit in less than sharp contrast over the entire range if allowed.

Sorry I wrote this while 1/4th to 2/3rds of my brain was asleep. The AUTOFOCUS at 1:1 works okay as long as there is contrast, the images that come out are phenomenal.

Jun 03, 2019 at 09:44 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOS R AF performance for macro?

I rarely use AF with macro lenses. In fact manual focusing is even better now with focus peaking or 5x view in the viewfinder. I find that the AF point is just too big to get focus exactly where I want on my macro subject using Canon mirrorless.

Jun 05, 2019 at 07:45 AM
menatwork_mn

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOS R AF performance for macro?

I find that neither focus peaking nor magnification works for me.

Depending on lighting condition, I cannot see the color in focus peaking at all (also I'm color blind therefore in certain lighting condition the color blended).

For magnification, I would have to depend on my eye sight which doesn't work well and I don't want to wear glasses when taking pics. The dioptric adjustment doesn't work as well I guess because I don't trust my vision (i.e. when I'm tired my vision get worse).

I learned through you tube that the Canon EOS R manual focus has this option that when turn on then you know it's in focus when the three triangles on the screen are aligned into two opposite triangles. This would help me tremendously in manual focus (just like the old days when you can see a line in the middle of a circle on the screen and if the line is broken then it's out of focus and if the line is straight then it's in focus). I can't find this option in my Canon EOS RP. I'm considering of switching to the R.

Jun 05, 2019 at 03:20 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOS R AF performance for macro?

tshore wrote:
Has anyone tried the EOS R cameras for macro? I am curious whether the AF works for macro down to 1:1. For my EF cameras, the phase-detect AF gives out at about twice the mfd. I am thinking maybe the contrast detect AF of the EOS R would enable AF down to the MFD in the viewfinder, which would be quite nice for macro work. Thanks, T.

It works fine with my 100L.

The EOS R does not use contrast detection for autofocus, it uses DPAF, a form of phase detect which uses the actual data on the sensor to focus.

I find that any of the dual pixel cameras focus well with the 100L at 1:1 when in the live mode using DPAF, I've had a SL2 and have a 5D MK IV as well as EOS R, all AF fine at 1:1 using DPAF. The usual rules of requiring contrast apply, that is sometimes more difficult using 1:1.

Jun 05, 2019 at 05:36 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOS R AF performance for macro?

menatwork_mn wrote:
I find that neither focus peaking nor magnification works for me.

Depending on lighting condition, I cannot see the color in focus peaking at all (also I'm color blind therefore in certain lighting condition the color blended).

For magnification, I would have to depend on my eye sight which doesn't work well and I don't want to wear glasses when taking pics. The dioptric adjustment doesn't work as well I guess because I don't trust my vision (i.e. when I'm tired my vision get worse).

I learned through you tube that the Canon EOS R manual focus has this option that
...Show more

I don't find that aligning the triangles is particularly accurate in getting the best AF with my R. Using 5X magnification gets better results.

Jun 05, 2019 at 05:38 PM
ogerisg321
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOS R AF performance for macro?

TeamSpeed wrote:
I rarely use AF with macro lenses. In fact manual focusing is even better now with focus peaking or 5x view in the viewfinder. I find that the AF point is just too big to get focus exactly where I want on my macro subject using Canon mirrorless.

You know you can make the focus point smaller on the R. Works perfect for Macro work.

Jun 05, 2019 at 10:31 PM
nomadwithalens
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EOS R AF performance for macro?

ogerisg321 wrote:
You know you can make the focus point smaller on the R. Works perfect for Macro work.

You can, but I find myself wishing it was smaller frequently even for things like portraits and wildlife...

Jun 05, 2019 at 10:45 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.