Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Setting custom WB on GH5 to match AWB settings?

thefalloftroy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Setting custom WB on GH5 to match AWB settings?

Hi everyone, I just purchased a GH5 last week for shooting video and am loving it so far. I'm still learning lots about it, but one thing I've run into already that I'm not sure how to address is regarding setting a custom White Balance:

My understanding of White Balance when shooting video is that you shouldn't use AWB because it can lead to different WB settings between frames which can make the colours shift throughout the clip and can also make it more difficult to grade in post - this makes sense to me.

I've already found good success with the GH5's WB presets for Daylight, Cloudy and Shade when shooting outdoors, but where I haven't had as good results is when shooting indoors.

Basically all I'm looking to do is be able to set one of the custom White Balance presets to match what the AWB settings would do in a given situation. For example, my cats were sleeping at the end of the bed this morning with some really nice morning light coming through the windows, and when using AWB, the colours looked really good and natural on the back of the camera, although I could see them shift as I moved the camera around to different areas of the room. But when I tried to set a custom WB, I couldn't seem to easily replicate anything that looked as good as what the AWB did.

On the GH5, when I go to set a custom White Balance, it gives me two options: one is a slider that lets me set the temperature in Kelvin, and the other is a colour grid that lets me set the tint, with the letters G (north), B (east), M (south) and A (west).

Is there a way to set one of the custom WB options to mimic whatever the camera would use for AWB in that situation, but so that it would remain constant throughout the clip rather than shifting like AWB does?

Many of the videos and topics I found when searching for this talk about using a white/grey card to balance and set the WB, but I think what I'm looking for is much simpler and straightforward, if it is possible - to copy the WB settings from AWB to one of the custom WB options based on what the camera sees in that moment/situation.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 01, 2019 at 12:55 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.