FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Zygo Catus

slugly
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zygo Catus

An unknown cultivar of Zygo cactus that is something of a salmon-pink colour but is appears slightly different depending on the age of the flower and time of day. These shots were taken on two different D200s in varying lighting conditions in the late afternoon on different days (late autumn here), the first three with a Nikkor 100mm f2.8 D, the last with a Laowa 15mm f/4. A circular polarising filter was used for all.

200_3072a by Slugly Bugly, on Flickr

202_0015a by Slugly Bugly, on Flickr

202_0028a by Slugly Bugly, on Flickr

200_3937a by Slugly Bugly, on Flickr

May 27, 2019 at 05:22 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zygo Catus

Bugly,

Nice images. Do you think the polarizer was useful? An interesting application of the Laowa.

Many years ago, Zygocatus was placed in Schlumbergera although I still consider them to be distinctive.

Harold

May 27, 2019 at 10:24 AM
slugly
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zygo Catus

Thank you Harold,

The plant is in a hanging basket and at that time of day is hit directly by the low angle sun, so I found the polariser useful in reducing the considerable glare coming off the leaves and, to a lesser extent, the petals. However it did also lend a reasonable amount of warmth to the images, which was accentuated by the somewhat excessive saturation I had set on the D200. The red tones of these flowers I have found tricky to photograph with accuracy but these are fairly faithful given the late afternoon lighting.

Here's another shot with the Laowa 15mm showing most of the plant, which is having a particularly good bloom this year.

cheers,
Andrew

200_3932a by Slugly Bugly, on Flickr

May 27, 2019 at 10:46 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zygo Catus

Andrew,

I had assumed an indoor or greenhouse shot.

Even when shooting macros of insects, those highlights off green vegetation can ruin an image.

Red can over-saturate, or seem to anyway, parts of an image.

One way of dealing with it, and I used to do this a lot with film, is to place a (translucent) diffuser between the sun and the plant. I have two, in different sizes, on collapsible rings. Adjust the WB accordingly.

Harold

May 27, 2019 at 11:00 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zygo Catus

Here is a flash treatment, with no colour adjustment PP.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1576174/#14701916

Harold

May 27, 2019 at 11:06 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password