New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Low light portrait

Intheswamp
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Low light portrait

Chilling early last night with an old artist friend of mine...we used to ride bikes to the swimming hole together "back when" about a half-century ago. We had been talking for a while. The sun had long gone down and just a bit of sky light was filtering in through a small window. I decided to max out the ISO and see what would come of it. I knew what I *wanted* to get out of the picture, It was too dark for auto-focus and I couldn't really see to manually focus so did as well as I could. Hand held. Really noisy.

Here's what I ended up with. Critique is always welcome (and needed!).

ƒ/2.8 62.0 mm 1/20 25600

The Artist by James Welch, on Flickr

Edited on May 25, 2019 at 09:29 AM · View previous versions

May 25, 2019 at 09:24 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Low light portrait

The brightest areas on the image which attract attention are the shirt and the water bottle. You probably want to have the viewer's attention directed elsewhere.

May 25, 2019 at 10:56 AM
Intheswamp
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Low light portrait

Thanks, Camperjim!! I'll see what I can do about it. Ed

May 25, 2019 at 11:23 AM
Intheswamp
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Low light portrait

Flickr has rolled over on it's back and wiggling it's roachy legs. I uploaded this one to a directory on my website and I'm not smart enough to have different views of it. Anyhow, I'm wondering if I need to increase overall brightness or maybe increase brightness just in the facial/beard area. I put in some control points and adjusted a few things from there. Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks!

Edit: Flickr is back working (for now).

The Artist II by James Welch, on Flickr

Edited on May 25, 2019 at 01:17 PM · View previous versions

May 25, 2019 at 01:03 PM
Intheswamp
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Low light portrait

Drats. Looking at it on here it looks a lot softer. ??

May 25, 2019 at 01:07 PM
Intheswamp
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Low light portrait

One more version. I wanted to throw the right side of his face into more shadow. Is this too much shadow?

The Artist III by James Welch, on Flickr

May 25, 2019 at 01:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Low light portrait

Good job moving your tonal values to shift the draw off the bottle & shirt > face.

As to "too much shadow" ... I think "all bets are off" regarding convention in this one. They look pretty blocked up to me, but it doesn't really bother me. I think the unconventional begets unconventional reasonably well.

May 25, 2019 at 06:52 PM
Intheswamp
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Low light portrait

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, it wasn't a conventional shot by any means. I guess it was more of an experiment checking out the 6D's high-ISO capabilities than anything else. Once I got to tinkering with it I kinda liked the outcome. But, looking at the two last versions I'm not for sure which I like the best. I might have to revisit that shot again a bit earlier in the day so as to dodge the high ISO...we end up sitting in his shed mulling over the finer points of life and solving world crisis fairly often.

May 26, 2019 at 06:36 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Low light portrait

I'd suggest mining more facial detail from the deep shadows.

May 26, 2019 at 08:00 PM
Intheswamp
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Low light portrait

Thanks AuntiePode. It seems that you've brought up details and did some darkening of the background. Looks good!

May 29, 2019 at 11:30 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.