Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

D850: Shooting off ground in Focus Shifting or Focus Stacking mode

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D850: Shooting off ground in Focus Shifting or Focus Stacking mode

This question is for those who use the D850 in the focus shifting or focus stacking mode.

Is touching “START” on the LCD screen or pressing “OK” (while “START" is highlighted), the only way the shutter can be released to begin the sequence?

If so, then it is going to be very difficult to begin the focusing/stacking sequence if working off the ground and shooting in portrait (vertical). Yesterday, I was shooting on the ground and the camera was on a bag (almost on the ground). The D850 was in the vertical position, so tipping out the LCD did not help.

I am just hoping there might be a “workaround” or a technique to remedy this. Otherwise, when on the ground (and if vertical is needed), it seems that shooting landscape and cropping is the only option.

Robert

May 22, 2019 at 09:17 AM
Shotokan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D850: Shooting off ground in Focus Shifting or Focus Stacking mode

I don't know of a way to remotely trigger the D850's built-in focus-shifting feature. There is at least one device, the Camranger Mini, that can be attached (via cable) to the camera and subsequently establishes a WiFi network with a smartphone. The Camranger smartphone app offers remote control of basic camera functions and it will automatically take a focus stack sequence similar to Nikon's focus shifting. The Camranger Mini costs $200 at B&H. There may be other such devices available.
-Bob

May 23, 2019 at 12:18 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D850: Shooting off ground in Focus Shifting or Focus Stacking mode

Shotokan wrote:
I don't know of a way to remotely trigger the D850's built-in focus-shifting feature. There is at least one device, the Camranger Mini, that can be attached (via cable) to the camera and subsequently establishes a WiFi network with a smartphone. The Camranger smartphone app offers remote control of basic camera functions and it will automatically take a focus stack sequence similar to Nikon's focus shifting. The Camranger Mini costs $200 at B&H. There may be other such devices available.
-Bob

Thank you Bob. I will check into that device.

May 23, 2019 at 04:48 AM
CrossPlane

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D850: Shooting off ground in Focus Shifting or Focus Stacking mode

You might check out the qDSLRDashboard app, Nikon recently opened the wifi up on the new firmware to work with outside apps. It looks like it can do focus stacking but I don't have experience with it.

May 23, 2019 at 05:36 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D850: Shooting off ground in Focus Shifting or Focus Stacking mode

Wish I had a trick, but as far as I know, the only way to initiate it is via the menu (pressing Start or OK as you know).

May 23, 2019 at 06:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D850: Shooting off ground in Focus Shifting or Focus Stacking mode

Honestly I'm mildly amused if focus stacking with macro is actually quite problematic to do.

I find the whole idea of focus stacking absurd because it only works with AF-S lenses, and all the best macro lenses including Nikons own macro titan AF 200mm f4 micro are at best AF, not AF-S, if not manual focus altogether anyway.

If Nikon really thinks macro stacking should be done like this - then maybe they should refresh the AF 200mm f4 micro to an AF-S version. Maybe even up the optics because as good as the AF 200mm f4 micro is, the new Fujinon XF 80mm f2.8 OIS macro apparently has beaten it.

May 23, 2019 at 07:00 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D850: Shooting off ground in Focus Shifting or Focus Stacking mode

Shotokan wrote:
There is at least one device, the Camranger Mini, that can be attached (via cable) to the camera and subsequently establishes a WiFi network with a smartphone.
-Bob

Latest version of the D850 firmware allows WiFi to be started from the camera body - and then qDSLRDashboard will work, I've tested it. No extra cost.

bs kite wrote:
Is touching “START” on the LCD screen or pressing “OK” (while “START" is highlighted), the only way the shutter can be released to begin the sequence?
[...]
If so, then it is going to be very difficult to begin the focusing/stacking sequence if working off the ground and shooting in portrait (vertical). Yesterday, I was shooting on the ground and the camera was on a bag (almost on the ground). The D850 was in the vertical position, so tipping out the LCD did not help.

1) AFAIK, yes.

2) if you mean camera touching the ground, that would be annoying as the OK button would then be right at ground level. I'm not sure the added hassle of qDSLRDashboard would be an improvement. Alternately, turn the camera over and have the card cover touch the ground.

May 23, 2019 at 08:22 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D850: Shooting off ground in Focus Shifting or Focus Stacking mode

kaplah wrote:
Latest version of the D850 firmware allows WiFi to be started from the camera body - and then qDSLRDashboard will work, I've tested it. No extra cost.

1) AFAIK, yes.

2) if you mean camera touching the ground, that would be annoying as the OK button would then be right at ground level. I'm not sure the added hassle of qDSLRDashboard would be an improvement. Alternately, turn the camera over and have the card cover touch the ground.

Good idea; i.e. turning it over so the “OK” button is up. What is AFAIK?

May 25, 2019 at 10:23 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D850: Shooting off ground in Focus Shifting or Focus Stacking mode

Thanks for the suggestions.

May 25, 2019 at 10:26 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D850: Shooting off ground in Focus Shifting or Focus Stacking mode

bs kite wrote:
Good idea; i.e. turning it over so the “OK” button is up. What is AFAIK?

"As far as I know."

May 26, 2019 at 07:50 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password