Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Replacing Screw & Spring in Profoto Head?

crater33

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Replacing Screw & Spring in Profoto Head?

I need help making a small repair to my Profoto ComPact Plus 600. Yesterday, I noticed a "rattling" sound coming from one of my lights. When I pulled the frosted glass dome off to investigate, one of the screws fell out. There are normally 4 screws that attach the silver faceplate of a Profoto light head to the black body: 1) There is a screw that is flush mounted 2) There is a screw with a spacer that holds the "left" spring 3) There is a screw with a spacer that holds the "right" spring, and 4) There is a screw with a spacer that locks both springs into place. The screw that fell out was #4.

After setting the screw aside, I noticed still more rattling coming from inside the body of the light. After much shaking, a small hex nut and a small locking washer fell out of the front vent holes. I inspected the rest of the light, and tested it, and everything appears to be in normal working order. I just can't secure the frosted glass dome to the front anymore 🙁

I was wondering if anyone knew how to re-attach the screw? Or, if anyone knew of a different website or a different forum where people discuss these kinds of repairs? What worries me, is that obviously the hex nut and the locking washer need to be secured to the back of the face plate at the same time as the screw and the spacer are being "screwed in" from the front of the face plate ... so I'm assuming that means I have to remove the entire face plate to effect a repair. I'd rather not pay $100+ to ship this light to Profoto to have them do something as simple as replacing a #2 Phillips head screw. But at the same time, I don't want to cause any further damage to my light.

Also, I would be willing to take the light somewhere local to have it repaired. I live in Houston, Texas. There used to be a professional strobe repair shop here called Photronics, but their phone number is no longer in service and I suspect they've gone out of business. If anyone knows of any other professional resources that are available in Houston, Austin, or Dallas ... please let me know! The only service centers listed on the Profoto website are located in New York, Arizona, and California 🤨

^^ This is the front of the light with the glass dome & modeling lamp removed. The small hole at the one o'clock position is supposed to hold the "locking" screw.

^^ This shows the screw, the spacer, the washer, the locking washer, and the hex nut that fell out of the light. How do I re-attach it?

Edited on May 20, 2019 at 09:34 PM · View previous versions

May 19, 2019 at 09:55 AM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Replacing Screw & Spring in Profoto Head?

Given the cost of a C600 vs. a likely round-trip cost of such a minor repair, sending it out won’t be economical - as you summised.

The danger of any self-disassembly is that the capacitors in a strobe can retain a harmful, if not lethal charge even when turned off for a long period. Touch the wrong contact...A pro shop (there is one in CA but the name escapes me) would know how to safely discharge them first.

Why not do following:

Since not going to remove dome often, use some wire or or a zip tie (latter if not using modelling light much) to connect the ends of the two prongs together, securing the dome, and then wire or zip-tie the point to the hole where the machine screw came from? Or something along these lines. This will secure the costly dome but sill allow removal if needed.

If you use a ziptie to bring the prongs together, then secure them with wire and clip off the zip tie, it may make the application of wire easier.

The missing screw won’t affect much, if anything. Also, set the screw, post and nut aside as they’ll be metric and may be tough to find in case you ever decide to have it re-installed.

May 19, 2019 at 11:58 AM
crater33

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Replacing Screw & Spring in Profoto Head?

Why not do following

... because I plan on selling them sometime in the next 6 months and upgrading to the D2.

May 19, 2019 at 01:22 PM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Replacing Screw & Spring in Profoto Head?

Ah. It's a toss up as you either sell at discount with fix or get fixed and sell at intended price, but the net effect will be the same.

IF able to, I'd explore keeping them as they make great backup lights, lights for white seamless or lights where theres a risk of damage, etc. It always pays to have 1-2 cheaper older backup lights around.

Good luck.

May 20, 2019 at 06:33 AM
crater33

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Replacing Screw & Spring in Profoto Head?

Good luck.

Thanks. But I'm still hoping that this is an easy enough repair that I can do it myself. Does anyone know how the faceplate is secured to the body? If we assume that its the remaining three screws that are keeping it attached ... then removing the faceplate should be very easy. The trouble will come when I try to re-install the faceplate. If all four screws are secured the same way (with a locking washer and a hex nut on the rear side of the faceplate, then that means there's probably no way to tighten them without disassembling the entire rear portion of the light to get access to the back side of the faceplate.

But maybe my assumption is wrong? Maybe one of the screws goes into a threaded received of some kind? Probably the one that's flush? If that's the case, then this repair will be trivially easy. I'd just need to remove the faceplate, re-install the three screws-with-spacers while holding the hex nut from the other side with a hex driver, and then re-install the faceplate ... all without messing with any of the electronics. That would be ideal. Does anyone know how the faceplate is attached on this light? Does anyone know how they are attached on ProHead's and Acute/D4 head's? I imagine its very similar.

May 20, 2019 at 12:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cambyses
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Replacing Screw & Spring in Profoto Head?

I would call Silvino’s Pro Flash Rx (Profoto authorized repair shop in Los Angeles, (323) 962-7076), and explain your issue. They may be nice enough to tell you whether or not it would be a simple fix, and whether or not, you can do it yourself.

Thankfully I have never had to use any repair services yet for my Profoto's, so I don't have any direct experience myself, but this place seems to get some good reviews.

May 20, 2019 at 03:26 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Replacing Screw & Spring in Profoto Head?

I've opened Acute and Compacts a few times over the past 25 years. First, it was a loud fan making noice and then the shaft that the umbrella inserts moved back in place come to mind. Use a microfiber clothe to pull the flashtube because the oil on your hand can ruin the tube, pull the screws and pull straight out. Relax, it's not like the guy that took apart his 1Dx2 on YouTube.

May 21, 2019 at 08:17 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Replacing Screw & Spring in Profoto Head?

tcphoto wrote:
I've opened Acute...

Have you ever replaced the edison socket for the modeling lamp before? I bought a set that had mangled threads that have been on my to do list for awhile now.

May 22, 2019 at 11:18 AM
KC_2020

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Replacing Screw & Spring in Profoto Head?

crater33 wrote:
... because I plan on selling them sometime in the next 6 months and upgrading to the D2.

Conner's right, their great back up lights. Their practical value far exceeds their resale value. I've got 5 of them I've used for years and while 1 has developed a noisy fan, they've never failed me.

I'd also suggest you wait on the D2. The B1X is history and the D2 won't be around for long. The B10 / B10 plus use the new wider angle, much more efficient reflector.

The market is all about small, battery powered lights right now. The B10 /B10 plus can be charged while is use and Profoto's OCF line of modifiers and speed ring are cheaper. The D2 is not very competitive now and will be replaced by a new AC model with the B10 / B10 plus form factor.

FWIW the B10 is only 1/2 stop less output than the D2 500.

Jun 07, 2019 at 10:30 PM
tylershoot

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Replacing Screw & Spring in Profoto Head?

Same thing happened to me today while changing a busted bulb... did you ever disassemble the head?
im dealing with a Pro Head

Mar 18, 2022 at 01:57 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password