FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       end

In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

Juha Kannisto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

Some more samples from a small shrine (Karasumori Inarji-jinja) in Nakameguro that I run into yesterday. I did some minor PP on these in C1 Pro:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h96oDpEB8xibMFu9A

Really enjoying the lens I still keep the 21/3.5 as well but I've been mainly using it for infinity and long distance shots, whereas the 21/1.4 is very nice for all kinds of creative close-up shots as well.

Jul 07, 2019 at 03:02 AM
fplstudio
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

I may get this or the GM 24 and my CV 21/3.5 will not go anywhere.
Hopefully Fred will post some information about how the two 1.4 compare not only in resolution but also bokeh, oof fall off and rendering.

Jul 07, 2019 at 04:11 AM
theacguy71
• • •
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

Just playing around, this is one of my solar powered camping lights on the countertop

F1.4, 1/30s

_DSC4291 by Vaughn Adams, on Flickr

Jul 07, 2019 at 07:17 PM
TravelinBriNY
• •
p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Some more samples from a small shrine (Karasumori Inarji-jinja) in Nakameguro that I run into yesterday. I did some minor PP on these in C1 Pro:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h96oDpEB8xibMFu9A

Really enjoying the lens I still keep the 21/3.5 as well but I've been mainly using it for infinity and long distance shots, whereas the 21/1.4 is very nice for all kinds of creative close-up shots as well.

Thanks for these, is the 21/3.5 better at infinity?

Jul 07, 2019 at 08:17 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

TravelinBriNY wrote:
Thanks for these, is the 21/3.5 better at infinity?

What I meant is that 21/3.5 is better suited for infinity and long distance shots than for close-ups since f3.5 does not lend itself for nice out-of-focus backgrounds etc. It also has quite much vignetting at f3.5. I find myself using that lens mostly for long-distance shots. It's pretty small and light so that can be a benefit over 21/1.4.

21/1.4 is really nice for both close-ups (especially at wide apertures) and long distance/infinity shots (optimal around f2.8 - f5.6), and it's really sharp up close thanks to the floating element design so it's more of an all-rounder.

Jul 07, 2019 at 10:51 PM
ftllens
• • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

Returning my copy to Adorama. Lens had amazing color, contrast, and I really liked the rendering (kind of reminded me of the feel of my 35 1.4 ZA). Unfortunately it was decentered with the left side being softer (also like the 35 ZAs ). Center sharpness WO was great though.

The mount fitted way too tight too compared to my other CV lenses. And the focus ring felt knotted at some point. I think my copy was just a bad one. Build and feel wise, I thought it was beautiful and solid, but not heavy feeling. The lens hood positive lock and aperture action were excellent.

I think if a tested super centered came along at the right price I would buy it and keep it forever. I actually like it more than their 40/50/110, but not my 10 cause my 10 is awesome.

Jul 08, 2019 at 08:31 PM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

Juha Kannisto wrote:
What I meant is that 21/3.5 is better suited for infinity and long distance shots than for close-ups since f3.5 does not lend itself for nice out-of-focus backgrounds etc. It also has quite much vignetting at f3.5. I find myself using that lens mostly for long-distance shots. It's pretty small and light so that can be a benefit over 21/1.4.

21/1.4 is really nice for both close-ups (especially at wide apertures) and long distance/infinity shots (optimal around f2.8 - f5.6), and it's really sharp up close thanks to the floating element design so it's more of an all-rounder.

Did you do any MW shooting with it, how is the coma? This may have been covered in the thread already, however I didn't read entire thread, apologies if so.

Jul 09, 2019 at 05:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Juha Kannisto
• • •
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

IndyFab wrote:
Did you do any MW shooting with it, how is the coma? This may have been covered in the thread already, however I didn't read entire thread, apologies if so.

I never do any astrophotography myself so I can't really comment from personal experience but I think Fred is planning to test for coma in his review thread: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1603441.

Jul 09, 2019 at 07:12 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

Juha Kannisto wrote:

Juha - Have you heard whether there will be an M mount version of the 21/1.4? I'd guess that there will, but perhaps you have more knowledge. I'm in the process of selling all of my E mount lenses since I've replaced Sony with a Panasonic S1R, and I've already obtained several M mount replacements. This certainly looks like a stellar 21!

Jul 09, 2019 at 07:26 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • •
p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
Juha - Have you heard whether there will be an M mount version of the 21/1.4? I'd guess that there will, but perhaps you have more knowledge. I'm in the process of selling all of my E mount lenses since I've replaced Sony with a Panasonic S1R, and I've already obtained several M mount replacements. This certainly looks like a stellar 21!

Hi Danny, I don't actually have any knowledge about it, haven't seen any rumors or such. I guess it's possible that they could e.g. replace the current Ultron 21/1.8 with a new VM lens based on this new 21/1.4 design but so far to my knowledge they don't have any VM lenses with floating element design like the 21/1.4, 65/2, 110/2.5 and I suppose the close focusing capabilities in M-mount would be challenging due to RF focusing mechanism, so not sure if they'd carry over the floating element design and close focusing capability if they do a VM version.

Jul 09, 2019 at 07:34 PM
ysultan
• • •
p.12 #11 · p.12 #11 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

Does the availability of the CV make the Loxia a worse lens? 😃
The Loxia 21mm is probably the only lens I found to be "perfect". Ever since I bought it, I never felt I needed anything better. I don't do astro, and for everything else i only got wonderful results. I even feel that I don't need f2.8 for a wide angle lens. I almost always shoot at f5.6 or F8. I love the lens' color, contrast, clarity and the overall rendering. The CV has great rendering as well, which is unique in its own way, but I slightly prefer Zeiss.

Just sharing my opinion.

Jul 09, 2019 at 07:57 PM
NickiCooper

p.12 #12 · p.12 #12 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

What makes me thinking about this , is the weight compared to sigma art lens, less than 600 gr vs sigma 950 gr. Is sigma still preparing some small FF FE Lenses ? will they be able to manufacture really small lenses ? If yes, I am in.

Second : what interests me is the performance at full aperture, otherwise why having a f1,4 if it’is unusable ? Better have an excellent f1,8 than an average f1,4.

Jul 10, 2019 at 06:48 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.12 #13 · p.12 #13 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:

One hopes Cosina gets their butts in gear and release their E mount lenses in the other mirrorless mounts, too...

In the meantime you could consider the VM21/1.8.

Jul 10, 2019 at 09:18 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.12 #14 · p.12 #14 · In Stock: Voigtlander 21mm /1.4 Nokton for $1,199

rscheffler wrote:
One hopes Cosina gets their butts in gear and release their E mount lenses in the other mirrorless mounts, too...

In the meantime you could consider the VM21/1.8.

From Emount to M? Isn't that reverse gear?
It seems to me that recently Cosina has had their butts in overdrive.

Jul 10, 2019 at 09:33 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password