New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · News from Datacolor re 64-bit computing

pjbishop
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · News from Datacolor re 64-bit computing

I've gotten the email that Datacolor is sending out with reassurance about support for 64-bit computing. I've got Spyder 5 Pro, which will be supported, as will Spyder 2 and 3. ( I don't believe there ever was a Spyder 4 ) ). They are also offering discounted updates for their new puck, 'SpyderX'. They say:

"Our new lens-based technology provides a higher level of color accuracy with more precise screen color, shadow detail and white balance”

I wrote back and asked if they would explain what they meant by 'lens-based' technology'. The lens on the puck?

CORRECTION: They are not longer providing updates for Spyder2 or 3, which makes sense, but will provide updates for Spyder5.

As usual, they have not responded to my email.

May 15, 2019 at 03:00 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · News from Datacolor re 64-bit computing

The SpyderX calibrator now has a lens.
Previous versions of their calibrator used a grid frame.
Google SpyderX and Spyder5 and you can see the difference.

Jun 14, 2019 at 07:24 AM
jose120photo
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · News from Datacolor re 64-bit computing

You can still use your old Spyder2/3 with DisplayCal and get superior results than you would with the OEM software.

Jun 14, 2019 at 08:53 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · News from Datacolor re 64-bit computing

I ran across a post by one of the developers of the Datacolor software, in which he says they encountered bugs with the 32-bit calibration API on macOS, which don't occur with the 64-bit API. They have put in some workarounds in their 32-bit software which (only) mostly solve the problem. The bug has to do with profiles not "sticking" on login.

Therefore, if your puck is supported by the 64-bit software, it's advisable to update to it on macOS even if you don't intend to update past Mojave, even though Mojave can still run 32-bit software.

And, if what he says is true, it would be best to use a 64-bit build of DisplayCal too.

Jun 16, 2019 at 05:44 AM
Spyder-Team

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · News from Datacolor re 64-bit computing

Hello everybody,

my name is Oliver and I am responsible for Spyder's global wide tech support. I saw this thread and I wanted to drop a short message in regard to some comments. Sorry to hear that you (pjbishop) tried to reach us via e-mail and you didn't hear anything back from us. I wonder which e-mail address you used.

Datacolor offers a free support service and you can reach that ticket system with the following link:
https://support.datacolor.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit/RenderForm

Furthermore please let me share a link to our FAQ where you can read our official statement, that Spyder5 software will be updated within the next quarter, before Apple launches officially the new macOS:
https://support.datacolor.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1780/0/is-spyder5-working-with-macos-mojave-1014-andor-with-the-little-older-macos-high-sierra-1013-i-am-getting-a-warning-message-that-spyder-is-not-optimized-for-my-mac

Hope this helps and feel free to contact our support team if you need help.

Best regards,
Oliver from Spyder-Team

Jun 18, 2019 at 04:24 AM
lexvo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · News from Datacolor re 64-bit computing

jose120photo wrote:
You can still use your old Spyder2/3 with DisplayCal and get superior results than you would with the OEM software.

I think I agree. I just bought a SpyderX and tried calibrating my iMac a few times. Every time I felt the display was a bit too warm and had a slight magenta cast. I then tried the DisplayCal software and the results were much better. DisplayCal takes longer to calibrate, I think it is better because it takes more samples. Maybe the Spyder software tries to calibrate too fast.

Jun 28, 2019 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.