Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

What I would like to figure out is using both systems together

Jun 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM
Hodie
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

mineymole wrote:
I have owned every flash under the sun. Right now I am shooting Sony and am extremely happy that Profoto is finally offering the flash for Sony users.

I have been using Godox for 5 years in various incarnations. With Sony it has been nothing but a headache. I did order the new roundhead Godox and had to send it right back to Adorama. It misfired every other shot. This is my biggest problem with the Godox Li-On R2. Too many misfires as soon as the unit heats up. The best flashes Godox makes are the AD200 units and the small
...Show more

Have you tried Godox's Pro line (e.g., AD400, AD600)? I haven't heard any misfires from those. I only have the 400 and it's been flawless for me. I would consider the AD400 the "best" light from Godox, as it fills the most needs for me.

Jun 10, 2019 at 12:27 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Hodie wrote:
Have you tried Godox's Pro line (e.g., AD400, AD600)? I haven't heard any misfires from those. I only have the 400 and it's been flawless for me. I would consider the AD400 the "best" light from Godox, as it fills the most needs for me.

No I haven't. I do have the Flashpoint XPLOR 600 HSS and it is great... but for me, too big for wedding use. Comparing the AD400/AD600 to A1s is apples and oranges

Jun 10, 2019 at 01:30 PM
Simon Barker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Hodie wrote:

Since I updated the firmware on my Flashpoint R2 I can't recall having any misfires (maybe 1 in 100, rare enough to not be a consideration and mostly used with a AD400) but it was happening on a semi-regular basis beforehand which was fairly tiresome.

The TT350 I've got misfires a ton, I keep forgetting to check if there's a firmware update (I rarely use it) but it's a shame they released their Sony stuff in that state.

Jun 10, 2019 at 01:56 PM
Andre Y
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is Godox's generally slow t.1 time for a full-power pop: it can be slower than many cameras' flash sync speed. Eg. the AD200's full-pop t.1 is 1/220, so that means you can't shoot at 1/250 and use the full power of the flash. Generally, especially indoors, this isn't a problem, but it can be if you're shooting outdoors, trying to overpower the sun while using a modifier, in which case the flash has effectively less power than its rating.

Jun 10, 2019 at 05:12 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Hodie wrote:

I had misfires with both the AD200 and AD600, but never tried the AD400.

With more sedate sessions, my misfires with Godox strobes were generally in areas where there were a lot of other photographers out. Areas like Brooklyn Bridge Park and Central Park always have a ton of engagement sessions going on (in the warmer months it's not unusual to see a half dozen other photographers doing sessions simultaneously), and because of that lots of radio trigger signals as many are using OCF. In that case, I noticed that changing my channel something other than 1 helped. In those cases we're talking about maybe 150-250 frames for a short session, so misfires didn't become an impediment to work flow.

My main issue was during high volume headshot sessions, typically at Vegas convention centers, high rise building conference rooms, and the like, where it's not unusual for me to take upwards of 3000-4000 photos a day. I had a misfire rate in certain cases approaching 1%, which seems like a small number but it's a pretty big impediment to workflow when you have around 60 seconds per subject (it's not unusual for me to photograph over 400 people in a single 8-10 hour day). Tried everything from upgrading triggers, testing alkaline vs lithium rechargeable, changing channels, and it didn't seem to help. It did seem somewhat dependent on venue and how fast I was shooting. Also noticed a bit more tint shift occasionally every several hundred frames or so randomly - but that may have been the bulb wearing out.

Bottom line I would happily use either the godox or profoto strobes for a job. Yes the profotos have slightly less misfires (as well as being easier to service, much better UI and let's face it, commercial clients recognize the brand) but it's not worth 2-3x more money in my opinion unless you're a full time pro shooter that spends more time with the strobes than your significant other.

Jun 17, 2019 at 08:15 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

People forget is that the A1 is also a full Profoto wireless controller in addition to being a speedlight. If you're already invested in a Profoto lighting system, the A1 makes sense. If not, it's expensive and not competitive to other solutions. I just picked up an A1 to augment my other Profoto strobes and as a backup controller.

Jun 22, 2019 at 07:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

story_teller wrote:
People forget is that the A1 is also a full Profoto wireless controller in addition to being a speedlight. If you're already invested in a Profoto lighting system, the A1 makes sense. If not, it's expensive and not competitive to other solutions. I just picked up an A1 to augment my other Profoto strobes and as a backup controller.

Glad you mentioned this . Iíve been thinking about expanding this system. I do have the controller that came with this flash. I was thinking maybe sell my two Godox 200 round head units and get another A1x to work with 2 of them. Just need to figure that out and also figure a way where I can get my Godox 400 to work with these . I think they have a optical flash built in which would be okay when I put all 4 units on. I would still keep a transmitter for when I use the 2 Godox 400

I need to understand my options on Profoto.

Jun 22, 2019 at 08:29 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

True true. And my experience with the Air controller leaves the impression a backup is necessary / advised. Iím on a discussion board with other NYC photographers and a guy asked the other day about getting his Air serviced - two week turnaround time, and thatís in warranty :/

story_teller wrote:

Jun 22, 2019 at 09:56 AM
KC_2020

p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

jlafferty wrote:
True true. And my experience with the Air controller leaves the impression a backup is necessary / advised. Iím on a discussion board with other NYC photographers and a guy asked the other day about getting his Air serviced - two week turnaround time, and thatís in warranty :/

As a 'Pro' shouldn't you have a backup of everything you need to do your job? 2 weeks to service something is not unusual unless you're paying for a premium support service.

I have the original Air controller I bought with the D1 kit in 2012. I've used it continuously for 7+ years and never had a single issue. The Air TTL-C remote I bought with the B10s 15 months ago has never skipped a beat.

And yes, now that the A1X is out it'll be another backup controller which is nice to have and it will control my D1s and B10s.

In the studio I use the backup Air remote as a receiver on my Pro 6 Freeze 2400 pack that's also still working great. Pro 7s still working, 6 compact 600s and 2 compact 300s still working but 1 has a fan noise when I shut it off and it spins down, Acute/Acute B systems still working, but I digress

Jun 23, 2019 at 09:03 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Yes, absolutely you should have a backup of every crucial link in the chain. I had always assumed ďpremium supportĒ was an implicit part of Profotoís prices which is why the turnaround time surprised me.

Jun 23, 2019 at 10:20 PM
PanS
• •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

I need an on camera flash for events where a strobe isnt appropriate, ie. photos at the State House or city halls. I was waiting for Profoto to offer the A1 for Sony at $800 but they only offered the A1X at a staggering $1100... There's so much comparing the A1X to the Godox V1 but, I personally dont like supporting intellectual theft so ... I guess I'll get a Sony HVL.

Jul 15, 2019 at 07:38 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

@PanS check into the Profoto .edu program. They usually offer nice discounts.

Jul 15, 2019 at 09:10 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password