Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2019 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Langran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

All I care about at this stage is the AF assist in a flash. Godox do everything else fine for me except that. Give me reliable and unobtrusive AF assist in pitch black and I'll buy it, regardless of price

May 17, 2019 at 01:21 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Looks like I’m the guinea pig again. So start giving reports next week . I have a 3 day corporate meeting so that will be a nice test

May 17, 2019 at 01:25 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Langran wrote:
All I care about at this stage is the AF assist in a flash. Godox do everything else fine for me except that. Give me reliable and unobtrusive AF assist in pitch black and I'll buy it, regardless of price

If you're using it with a mirrorless camera, it doesn't matter anyways. The af grid beam works amazing with DSLRs, but having owned the A1, godox, canon, fuji, nikon flashes this is a limitation of mirrorless cameras in general.

May 17, 2019 at 01:52 PM
keithf
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

My Godox V1 has been shipped. Expect delivery Next Tue May 21.

May 17, 2019 at 03:16 PM
bwcolor
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

GMPhotography wrote:
Looks like I’m the guinea pig again. So start giving reports next week . I have a 3 day corporate meeting so that will be a nice test

At that price, I also would be squealing like a guinea pig. I like my 860 & AD200, but I'm sure that your shooting environment is much more demanding than mine.

May 17, 2019 at 05:09 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

In terms of quality of light, I found that the A1 vs standard rectangular head speedlites and strobes has almost no real difference when shot direct on camera (ie head pointed at subject). The flash tube is still rectangular in shape on the A1 and A1X, so the slight difference in the fresnel element shape doesn't translate to much when used like this.

I did however find that the A1 produces more natural looking bounce flash when shot into a wall or ceiling, because the spread of the speedlite with the half sphere dome diffuser acts kind of like the old Gary Fong diffusers. One could recreate a similar look with a variety of diffusers - ranging from the good ol stofen diffusers, magmod diffuser, etc. Personally I don't think this small difference in quality of light is worth the premium by itself. I also found (and this seems to be a common gripe) that the tension on the A1 head should be a little tighter, as it only takes a light tap to make the head lose its orientation and swing around. I'm assuming they've fixed this in the A1X as they mention that's one of the changes in the new model, but will be interesting to see.

Honestly, if you're not already bought into the Profoto system, it'd be a hard sell on this as there are far cheaper options that produce as good results. The Metz 64 AF-1 for example has a really nice UI, built as good if not better than profoto and nikon speedlites, and has a great reputation for reliability longer term.

All of that said, Profoto is in my opinion the best strobe system from a user interface standpoint (especially compared to Godox speedlites) and they're a real pleasure to use, especially for those that put them through hard use on client work. For those pondering picking up an A1 now that prices are for sure dropping on the outgoing model, I would try it out first and make sure you're ok with the head swivel tension, as it was the primary reason I sold mine on. For those that are looking for a backup trigger + speedlite that are bought into the profoto system though, the A1X sounds like a pretty awesome piece of kit, albeit pricey for some.

May 18, 2019 at 01:37 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Yea this comes down to real client use and a durability and reliability situation. I’ve had my issues with the 860II. Not with the AD units though just the portable

I’ll give a full report I start shooting tuesday

May 18, 2019 at 01:45 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

bwcolor wrote:
At that price, I also would be squealing like a guinea pig. I like my 860 & AD200, but I'm sure that your shooting environment is much more demanding than mine.

I've found the Godox flashes to be totally acceptable for most of my commercial and wedding gigs. The only reason I switched over to Profoto primarily (and have the AD200, speedlites etc as my backup/travel kit) is because the godox flashes aren't quite as consistent as the profotos for very high volume work. Specifically I do a lot of high volume headshot (upwards of 4-5k flash pops a day) and I found the godox triggers misfired noticeably more.

The last wedding I shot, I mounted AD200s with superclamps at strategic points in the reception venue and they performed great as uplights. In the end, light is light

May 18, 2019 at 05:52 PM
stevesanacore
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

GMPhotography wrote:
I think you have to look at more as a event flash with on camera capabilities more than anything else. I have a 3 day corporate event and it’s all on camera flash stuff. Even though I’m all Godox and I can’t get a Godox V1 in time I’m sitting here trying to figure this out. Yes it’s way over priced by a truck load but I’m still tempted

I have today to decide I start shooting Tuesday.

It may be more expensive than others but I've never been disappointed with any Profoto product, (and I have had loads of others). In their high end product line, there is nothing better. Bron is a close competitor, but not for location work in my experience.

YMMV

May 19, 2019 at 01:26 PM
stevesanacore
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

sungphoto wrote:
I also didn't upgrade to the B1X - especially after the firmware update gave us a lot of the same features on the B1. If they came out with a higher capacity battery, I'd def buy them though.

The B1X battery IS the replacement for the B1 battery. B&H has them and they provide 320 flashes compared to 200 if my memory serves me correctly. Profoto had battery problems when the B1X was first released but has since fixed the issue I assume. Enjoy.

May 19, 2019 at 01:29 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

stevesanacore wrote:
The B1X battery IS the replacement for the B1 battery. B&H has them and they provide 320 flashes compared to 200 if my memory serves me correctly. Profoto had battery problems when the B1X was first released but has since fixed the issue I assume. Enjoy.

Ha damn, well that’s amazing - I guess shows what my local camera shop knows then, as I’d been told otherwise (but then again I might have just not been paying attention considering I’m the worst when it comes to reading the instructions).

I figured because Profoto didn’t update the B2 battery that the B1X battery was just the old B1 battery, and that the increased number of pops was by virtue of a more efficient strobe. This is awesome news - I just ordered a couple of the new battery. Thanks!

May 19, 2019 at 05:01 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Wow this thing is the real deal. It’s gorgeous and it’s quality throughout. Honestly I already forgot what it costs. Love the little remote on hot shoe and hand hold the flash or mount. But sometimes I like shooting one hand and than flash in other hand

May 20, 2019 at 07:21 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

It’s very fast recycle

May 20, 2019 at 07:21 PM
kuau
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

I got mine yesterday from Adorama, absolutely love this thing. Bottom line in this case you get what you pay for this thing is 100% quality..

May 20, 2019 at 07:51 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

kuau wrote:
I got mine yesterday from Adorama, absolutely love this thing. Bottom line in this case you get what you pay for this thing is 100% quality..

Agree here you get what you pay for. It’s really nice gear. My past was loaded with Profoto. Always great gear.

May 20, 2019 at 07:57 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Soooooooo found something interesting. The Flashpoint /Godox AD 200 accessories kit. Well you can use some of it on this Profoto and maybe save a few dollars buying accessories

So here is the accessories kit.Almost everything works pretty well

https://www.adorama.com/fplfevrhak.html

May 20, 2019 at 10:10 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Now the dome and bounce card setup on profoto is nice and comes with the kit but the filters do not come with Profoto nor does the barn door, snoot and grid spots. So you can use the Godox version pretty well. Now i spent the money on the filters from Profoto which are really nice. But I can steal some parts here which is handy

I’ll say this now but if your out there making money doing weddings, events and using a lot of flash as much as I like my Godox units this Profoto is at least worth a rental. I know expensive no question but truly worth the costs. My theory on being a Pro and it’s always been my credo. I’m charging a lot of money too shoot my clients deserve the best gear I can use and the best out of me. So I’m not shy about putting my money where my mouth is on gear.

May 20, 2019 at 10:13 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Okay very cool feature as I shoot both electronic shutter and mechanical. If you happen to leave off in electronic than go to setup flash and get ready for another venue. 3 times today already for me but cool thing is I get a warning but it does not say hey moron get out of electronic mode. It does say set camera flash to on which is the dead giveaway your in electronic mode. Bottom line it makes you think and pop back into mechanical

I’m really falling in love with this thing

May 21, 2019 at 12:44 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

GMPhotography wrote:
Now the dome and bounce card setup on profoto is nice and comes with the kit but the filters do not come with Profoto nor does the barn door, snoot and grid spots. So you can use the Godox version pretty well. Now i spent the money on the filters from Profoto which are really nice. But I can steal some parts here which is handy

I’ll say this now but if your out there making money doing weddings, events and using a lot of flash as much as I like my Godox units this Profoto is at least worth a
...Show more

So have you tried these already? Are you sure that the magnetic accessories here would actually fit Profoto A1 head properly and would stay in place? Specifically, the ones that don't already come with A1, i.e., the gel holder, grid spots, snoot, and the barn door. Out of these, the gel holder and the grid would be the ones I may use more often, and I wouldn't mind saving $140 for these two versus the original Profoto versions.

Thanks...

May 21, 2019 at 02:27 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Yes they are working . I like the gel holder from Profoto better and the dome that come with it but grid, diffusion and others all work pretty well. I at least tried all them on. I’m shooting now with A1x dome, bounce card and two different gels depending on what room I’m in. This thing works really nice

But it’s worth buying the Godox accessories kit. Most of it works great

May 21, 2019 at 02:46 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.