Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2019 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Jim Cowsert
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

The new firmware update to the A1 is really nice. Now it's basically a mini version of the B10. I just updated my A1 Canon version to the new firmware and along with the Air Remote for Sony everything is seamless with my B10's.

May 15, 2019 at 07:43 PM
Paul L.
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

What's the advantage of these over something like a Gary Fong diffuser?

GMPhotography wrote:
Read page 5 post 9

I shot this yesterday with two round head units

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1596086/4

Edited on May 17, 2019 at 11:37 AM · View previous versions

May 15, 2019 at 07:52 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Paul L. wrote:
What's the advantage of these over something like a Gary Fong diffuser?

No idea what crap he sells. Not a fan

Last thing I saw of his stuff was the size of a softball

This is a magnetic system where you can filter easily if you need too. The whole kit is really small and seems to do a nice job plus does not look like a balloon on the flash.

Edited on May 15, 2019 at 08:04 PM · View previous versions

May 15, 2019 at 08:00 PM
Paul L.
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

OK, let me rephrase .

What makes the round head better than the old rectangular?

Sorry to be obtuse; I'm just starting to get into flash that falls outside the spectrum of on-camera hotshoe. I had no idea there was such a vast array of choices between speedlights and always-on strobes.

May 15, 2019 at 08:03 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Round disperses light more evenly to start with so if you have the dome it goes all around than with a bounce back card goes forward. Essentially your bouncing up and also sending light forward to fill

May 15, 2019 at 08:06 PM
derKoekje
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Dumb question, also a bit offtopic but I've never used any flash before. Is there a cheaper alternative to this (especially when looking at used market)? What I like about this one is the automatic metering, remote control for off-camera flash and the diffuser. Or are those paid add ons?

May 15, 2019 at 08:40 PM
Mark_EL
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

GMPhotography wrote:
Round disperses light more evenly to start with so if you have the dome it goes all around than with a bounce back card goes forward. Essentially your bouncing up and also sending light forward to fill

As much as this is true, a small light source stays a small light source, giving you harsh light. You just can't beat those physics. If you want softer light, you'll need to use umbrellas, softboxes etc. to make the light source bigger and with that, the light softer. The only thing I could imagine is that the light would be more evenly spread inside a softbox when used with the round dome, giving less of a hotspot then a normal speedlite would. That of course is an advantage. And the magnetic stackable accessories can be pretty handy I guess.

Still, I think that if you want to spend this kind of money, you'd be beter off buying a real (battery powered) studio strobe...

May 16, 2019 at 01:53 AM
Simon Barker
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Tirpitz666 wrote:
reliability on the field

Reliability in terms of usage or durability? I'm not so sure there's much evidence for the latter.

May 16, 2019 at 03:39 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Mark_EL wrote:
As much as this is true, a small light source stays a small light source, giving you harsh light. You just can't beat those physics. If you want softer light, you'll need to use umbrellas, softboxes etc. to make the light source bigger and with that, the light softer. The only thing I could imagine is that the light would be more evenly spread inside a softbox when used with the round dome, giving less of a hotspot then a normal speedlite would. That of course is an advantage. And the magnetic stackable accessories can be pretty handy I guess.
...Show more

Well this is really not meant to replace big soft boxes and such. These are great for location kits and this unit for on camera flash. The 2 AD200 that I use are more my background or hair light while my AD400 use softboxes. But location work in factories and such those AD 200 round heads work really nice

May 16, 2019 at 03:50 AM
milkod2001
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Mark_EL wrote:
I sincerely don't get it to be honest $ 1095 for a thing that is basically just a hotshoe flash sounds kind of ridiculous to me. What could that round head bring to the table that a normal hot shoe flash couldn't? I mean, it's still a small flash which will give just as hard light if you use it without a diffuser, no? And if you use it with a serious modifier like a softbox (or an umbrella, as in the Adorama tv youtube video posted above here) , would the round head really be beneficial in any
...Show more

This tiny flash unit is more about marketing nonsense to mess with self centered bearded guys then actual use The lack of modifiers leads to ugly hard light but then again can't argue with different tastes. If really insisting on Profoto this is 1000 times more useful and gives 500W output compared to 150W from 2x A1X. A1X might not be bad product at all but it is ridiculously priced for what it is.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119633-REG/profoto_901110_b2_250_air_ttl.html

May 16, 2019 at 08:59 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

I think you have to look at more as a event flash with on camera capabilities more than anything else. I have a 3 day corporate event and it’s all on camera flash stuff. Even though I’m all Godox and I can’t get a Godox V1 in time I’m sitting here trying to figure this out. Yes it’s way over priced by a truck load but I’m still tempted

I have today to decide I start shooting Tuesday.

May 16, 2019 at 09:11 AM
milkod2001
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

GMPhotography wrote:
I think you have to look at more as a event flash with on camera capabilities more than anything else. I have a 3 day corporate event and it’s all on camera flash stuff. Even though I’m all Godox and I can’t get a Godox V1 in time I’m sitting here trying to figure this out. Yes it’s way over priced by a truck load but I’m still tempted

I have today to decide I start shooting Tuesday.

Yes if you think about it as event flash then yes, why not but then again why not to just to get Sony flashes (i never checked on them ,have no idea if they are any good).

May 16, 2019 at 10:06 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Sony flashes from my experience suck.

I may get this Profoto. It’s really not the best value based decision but after 44 years of this stuff. I’m crazy enough . I could sell it later if need be

May 16, 2019 at 10:16 AM
1joel1
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

GMPhotography wrote:

I bet if you did a side-by-side comparison at normal shooting distances, you could not see a difference. The round is likely different looking so it appeals to some and it also might be easier to manufacture. Light, like all EM energy, falls off via the inverse square law and once you are a little bit away from the source, it wouldn't matter if the source were triangular, round or octagonal.

May 16, 2019 at 11:17 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Find out if I like it. Just bought it like the crazy person I am. For event work it will work nice. It maybe be more reliable and durable than what I have. I have my Ad200 and ad 400 for other stuff but on camera was never really comfortable with the 860. It’s for sale

May 16, 2019 at 11:33 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

1joel1 wrote:
I bet if you did a side-by-side comparison at normal shooting distances, you could not see a difference. The round is likely different looking so it appeals to some and it also might be easier to manufacture. Light, like all EM energy, falls off via the inverse square law and once you are a little bit away from the source, it wouldn't matter if the source were triangular, round or octagonal.

There's a visible difference in a round head vs a rectangular head. Sal Cincotta did a photographic comparison of both and you can see the different in light consistency based on the reflector. This was a promotional Profoto piece for the A1, but the inverse square law was equally applied to both! (lol)

https://www.behindtheshutter.com/profoto-a1-vs-the-godox-v860ii-with-sal-cincotta/

The light falloff on the subject is much more consistent with a round head. Notice how the top and bottom of the rectangular head images are much more abrupt.

May 17, 2019 at 08:28 AM
vdo1
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

Well there’s this other invention called “MagSphere” that could prove to be more effective than buying into a different flash system.

May 17, 2019 at 08:41 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

I’m actually not being bothered by having different systems. I rarely use a portable flash with my AD200 or AD400 units. I use my remote trigger for those units.

I do many different things anyway so I’ll pick the kit I need . Also to be honest I’m hoping these Profotos are bullet proof . I can’t have missed shots. The hot shoe looks better on them.

Expensive yes, do I really give a rats ass. Honestly not really. I make up for these things in no time

May 17, 2019 at 08:52 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

I’m just wondering if I need a extra battery

Since it is just a backup battery I grabbed one for the A1 and save 40 dollars. Now I feel better I saved money. Lol

May 17, 2019 at 08:54 AM
bwcolor
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

1joel1 wrote:

Agreed, minimal difference, but there is a difference. At a minimum the flash doesn't need to be rotated to accomodate camera orientation.

May 17, 2019 at 09:19 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.