Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       5       end
  

Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)

  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)
Profoto officially announced the new A1X Flash for Sony.

It's already in stock at B&H Photo and Adorama.

Features:
  1. Round head with soft, smooth and natural fall off.
  2. AirTTL and HSS for a beautiful professional image fast.
  3. Smart magnetic click-on mount (patent pending) for A1X Light Shaping Tools.
  4. Dedicated A1X Light Shaping Tools available.
  5. LED modeling light integrated to the head.
  6. Air Remote built-in.
  7. Rechargeable and exchangeable Li-Ion battery.
  8. 450 full power flashes per charge.
  9. 1.0s recycling time.
  10. TTL/MAN switch.
  11. Built in motor-zoom with manual control.
  12. Auto focus (AF) assist.

A1X user guide (PDF download). Here is the Profoto official page.

























May 15, 2019 at 09:47 AM
sungphoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


Basically a mini-A1, and adding a Sony version. Guessing the full size version was a little too much weight for the plastic Sony MIS foot. Mainly excited about the new battery, which is compatible with the A1, and adds 100 more full power pops (450 vs 350).

Looking more at the side by side, the A1X doesn't really save you much size/weight vs the A1, so I'm wondering if it's actually more of a replacement for the A1 but being positioned as an alternative as not to piss off current A1 owners.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/05/15/the-profoto-a1x-replaces-the-companys-a1-comes-in-sony-ttl/

Really makes you wonder why Profoto doesn't just release new batteries for the B1 and B2 that have higher capacity with the latest lithium cells.



May 15, 2019 at 09:02 AM
story_teller
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


I sometimes question the marketing department at Profoto. Maybe they want to remain a small organization. Who knows? I'm sure the extra 100 full power flashes will be great, especially for wedding photographers, but they didn't do anything to improve the magnetic mounts and other issues with the product. The increased price also doesn't help.

Why didn't then offer the A1X as a receive only and drop the price a bit? The Air TTL controller in the A1 and A1X don't really excite me, especially when they have their new Profoto Connect and many photographers already have an Air TTL remote. I could definitely see a package of the A1X (hot shoe/receive only) and a Profoto Connect for $1,095. That would tempt some first time buyers into the Profoto world.

While they hit a home run with the B10, the only advantage of the A1X (to me) is that current A1 owners will be upgrading to the A1X, so I can pick up a used A1 at a lower price.



May 15, 2019 at 10:02 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


One more video:





Learn more about the new Profoto A1x for Sony:
  1. Explora
  2. ALC
  3. The Phoblographer
  4. Profoto



May 15, 2019 at 10:08 AM
sungphoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


story_teller wrote:
I sometimes question the marketing department at Profoto. Maybe they want to remain a small organization. Who knows? I'm sure the extra 100 full power flashes will be great, especially for wedding photographers, but they didn't do anything to improve the magnetic mounts and other issues with the product. The increased price also doesn't help.

Why didn't then offer the A1X as a receive only and drop the price a bit? The Air TTL controller in the A1 and A1X don't really excite me, especially when they have their new Profoto Connect and many photographers already have an Air TTL
...Show more

Ha I feel the same. I really wonder why Profoto doesn't sell an updated battery for the B2 and B1 with increased capacity - they'd make a ton from the current installed base. I'm def going to pick up a B10, but like you I wasn't very impressed with the A1 especially at the price point.



May 15, 2019 at 10:55 AM
chriscove1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


I just got an Email from Profoto saying the the A1 is getting a firmware update so it will have the same interface and increased channels as the A1x. Nice


May 15, 2019 at 10:57 AM
JBPhotog
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


Looks to me they are exactly the same weight, curiously the dimensions are not shown for the A1 on Profoto's website but they do include them for the new A1x.

I'd say the A1 is going to be discontinued in the near future, maybe feeling the pressure from the competition since the Godox V1 was recently launched.



May 15, 2019 at 11:52 AM
cambyses
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


JBPhotog wrote:
Looks to me they are exactly the same weight, curiously the dimensions are not shown for the A1 on Profoto's website but they do include them for the new A1x.

I'd say the A1 is going to be discontinued in the near future, maybe feeling the pressure from the competition since the Godox V1 was recently launched.


Yes, physical dimensions seem identical between A1 and A1X. I checked that both on the Profoto website as well as on B&H specs.

And yes, A1 will likely be discontinued much like B1 did once B1X came over. But that would not make it any less of a light I have B1's, never upgraded to B1X, and they still work as they should. In fact, with the A1 discounted now, I am thinking of picking one up to replace my Nikon SB-910 for those -rare- occasions I use on-camera flash. While the better battery life of A1X and the even faster recycle time is appealing, I feel the price delta between A1X and the discounted A1 would not be justified for me.



May 15, 2019 at 12:26 PM
sungphoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


cambyses wrote:
Yes, physical dimensions seem identical between A1 and A1X. I checked that both on the Profoto website as well as on B&H specs.

And yes, A1 will likely be discontinued much like B1 did once B1X came over. But that would not make it any less of a light I have B1's, never upgraded to B1X, and they still work as they should. In fact, with the A1 discounted now, I am thinking of picking one up to replace my Nikon SB-910 for those -rare- occasions I use on-camera flash. While the better battery life of A1X and the even
...Show more

I also didn't upgrade to the B1X - especially after the firmware update gave us a lot of the same features on the B1. If they came out with a higher capacity battery, I'd def buy them though.



May 15, 2019 at 01:54 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


I got a big gig next week where this would be great but Iím all Godox AD 400 2 units Ad200 2 units and I want to replace my 860 or whatever itís called with a round head. I just outfitted my AD200 with round heads and domes and such. Really nice setup

Problem is this would be a stand alone



May 15, 2019 at 02:02 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

JBPhotog
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


GMPhotography wrote:
I got a big gig next week where this would be great but Iím all Godox AD 400 2 units Ad200 2 units and I want to replace my 860 or whatever itís called with a round head. I just outfitted my AD200 with round heads and domes and such. Really nice setup

Problem is this would be a stand alone


Why not get a Godox V1, it has a round head and shoe for camera mounted use? It will work with all your other Godox units.



Edited on May 15, 2019 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions



May 15, 2019 at 04:27 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


JBPhotog wrote:
Why not get a Godox V1


It's not available yet.

Adorama has the Flashpoint version (same as Godox V1) available for pre-order but no shipping date yet.

Flash only: https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzlxso.html

Kit: https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzlxsok.html

I have many Godox flashes and they are mostly great for the price, although there are occasional misfires.



May 15, 2019 at 04:30 PM
JBPhotog
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


Fred Miranda wrote:
It's not available yet.


Okay, but soon it will be for under $350.




May 15, 2019 at 04:32 PM
Mark_EL
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


I sincerely don't get it to be honest $ 1095 for a thing that is basically just a hotshoe flash sounds kind of ridiculous to me. What could that round head bring to the table that a normal hot shoe flash couldn't? I mean, it's still a small flash which will give just as hard light if you use it without a diffuser, no? And if you use it with a serious modifier like a softbox (or an umbrella, as in the Adorama tv youtube video posted above here) , would the round head really be beneficial in any way? And besides, if one decides to bring the big modifiers with them, why bother with small hotshoe flashes anyway....

And then that trigger, where you apparently need a phone to make adjustments, who would want to work with that





May 15, 2019 at 04:46 PM
Tirpitz666
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


I would agree, looks quite a ridiculous price for a "little" strobe, no matter how good it would be. You could buy three(!) Godoxes with that money, I highly doubt that this would be 3x better..


May 15, 2019 at 04:53 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


Read page 5 post 9

I shot this yesterday with two round head units

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1596086/4



May 15, 2019 at 05:16 PM
cambyses
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


I think the price vs value proposition with Profoto vs other brands have already been discussed many times on this and other online forums. And it really boils down to how much one may value certain, somewhat subjective, metrics such as ease of use, UI elegance, build quality, reliability and consistency, etc.

But once you are bought into the Profoto system with their vast array of strobes and modifiers, then it would become much easier to justify purchasing an A1 vs other brands. We have B2's, B1's, and B10's (not to mention our old Compact mono-lights which, btw, still work beautifully) and up until now, have not purchased an A1. That is because A1 would mainly be useful for events which we don't shoot very often. But with the A1X introduction, and the $200 discount on A1, I may pick up one. Not because it suddenly becomes a better buy than, say, Godox V1, but simply because it would integrate so seamlessly with our other Profoto lights. And it can also act as our spare/backup AirTTL remote



May 15, 2019 at 05:24 PM
Tirpitz666
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


Of course mine is the point of view of an amateur, which of course can hardly justify such a pricing point for a strobe.

For a professional which has a full strobe system and needs the maximum of quality and reliability on the field, of course the view could be totally different, that's well understood.



May 15, 2019 at 05:43 PM
cambyses
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


BTW, as a side note, I called Profoto and confirmed with their support person that the new higher-capacity A1X battery would work with A1 too (and with the existing A1 Charger).


May 15, 2019 at 06:04 PM
sungphoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Official: Profoto A1X Flash for Sony ($1,095)


cambyses wrote:
I think the price vs value proposition with Profoto vs other brands have already been discussed many times on this and other online forums. And it really boils down to how much one may value certain, somewhat subjective, metrics such as ease of use, UI elegance, build quality, reliability and consistency, etc.

But once you are bought into the Profoto system with their vast array of strobes and modifiers, then it would become much easier to justify purchasing an A1 vs other brands. We have B2's, B1's, and B10's (not to mention our old Compact mono-lights which, btw, still work
...Show more

100% agree. As a standalone speedlite for those that don't have profoto strobes, it wouldn't make sense.

I think for those just starting out with lighting, something like a godox would totally be a more logical choice. For those have a lot of profoto kit, and use it frequently though, the A1/A1X slots in perfectly and the UI and functionality is in my opinion the best you can find.



May 15, 2019 at 07:11 PM
1
       2       3       4       5       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password