New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Monument Valley Sunset

knmorgan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monument Valley Sunset

I caught this sunset happening opposite the usual buttes of Monument Valley. I was hoping for general critique on composition and processing. Thank you!

Monument Valley Sunset, on Flickr

May 14, 2019 at 08:19 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monument Valley Sunset

Beautiful image with very pleasing colors. Nothing to say about the composition, except I would have used a more panoramic crop, but that is just a personal preference. One thing that bothers me is that grey strip in the sky on the left side of the sky.

The image is all about the sky which is the predominant element in the image. As far as the editing is concerned, that is just a matter of how you want to present your message. Peaceful or more powerful.

I personally find the foreground a bit too dark while I would have added some contrast to the clouds to make them more prominent. That is just me and I wasn't there. I like the image as it is, I am just thinking how I would have edited this image.
Socrate

May 14, 2019 at 09:08 PM
knmorgan

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monument Valley Sunset

Thank you for the critique. Trying a more panoramic crop had not occurred to me; I was afraid of losing part of the sky. I was trying to keep just a hint of detail in the foreground while leaving it largely featureless; the shadows are already raised quite a bit in the original I posted. But here is another take with a wider 2:1 crop, contrast added selectively to the sky, and more detail in the shadows. I am curious what you think.

Monument Valley Sunset 2, on Flickr

May 15, 2019 at 06:48 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monument Valley Sunset

The hint more detail in the rework is judiciously improved.

Getting into more refining nit territory, the keys going forward will be tweaking balance.
By that, I'd consider just a little less intensity in the sky (split the diff), just a little more sky, and maybe just a little more shadow detail in the monument itself (particularly the upper portion). Nothing radical for any of those three, just a kiss of each (or not) as you get down to the refining details. Largely depends on where (and how strongly) you want to pull the viewers eye to induce movement / fixation.

May 15, 2019 at 06:59 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monument Valley Sunset

Really liking the rework too.
The crop improves, opening the shadows just a bit as you have done adds interest while retaining the mood.
Nice capture!
Scott

May 15, 2019 at 08:22 AM
mreynolds767
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monument Valley Sunset

Big improvement by adding some more detail in the shadow areas.
I would do that a bit more in the main rock monument to me that one subject is still too dark.
Then I would brighten some of the highlights only in the foreground as to not affect the darker mood and call it finished. Sky is great as presented.

May 15, 2019 at 11:07 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monument Valley Sunset

knmorgan wrote:
Thank you for the critique. Trying a more panoramic crop had not occurred to me; I was afraid of losing part of the sky. I was trying to keep just a hint of detail in the foreground while leaving it largely featureless; the shadows are already raised quite a bit in the original I posted. But here is another take with a wider 2:1 crop, contrast added selectively to the sky, and more detail in the shadows. I am curious what you think.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/40888462183_04539b4637_c.jpgMonument Valley Sunset 2, on Flickr

I like it . The new edit has a better impact to the eyes and makes the sky more prominent. The crop gives a better idea of the expanse. You do loose some sky like you said, may be cut a bit on the bottom and less at the top.

Here is a suggestion to get more of the sky.

Increasing the contrast increases the saturation of the colors, which could be good some time. I leave that your taste.

Definitely a better image IMO.
Socrate

May 15, 2019 at 12:22 PM
knmorgan

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monument Valley Sunset

Thank you again for all the feedback, everyone. Here is my third, and probably final, take.

Monument Valley Sunset 3, on Flickr

I tried to keep the changes subtle. I kept the same 2:1 crop, but moved it up to get a bit more of the sky. I lowered the contrast in the sky somewhat. And I tried to make the butte more prominent. I found that trying to selectively increase exposure or shadows on it looked unnatural, so I did a better job of removing the contrast adjustment on the sky from it (which was darkening it), and selectively added the new texture slider in LR to it, which seems to make it pop a bit more. I played a bit with the gray portions of the sky, but could not find something I was happy with so I left it as-is. The sunset seemed overwhelmingly yellow/orange in person, so I wanted to keep that feeling.

May 16, 2019 at 07:39 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.